Catching pigeons on overpasses

hunt365

Catching pigeons on overpasses

Post by hunt365 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:51 pm

Me and a friend of mine decided we could either pay $4.00 to $6.00 for pigeons or swallow are pride and go try to snag some off the overpass so we headed out with a flashlight a 20' extension pole and a fishing dip net after a little trial and error we are 20 pigeons richer after 2 nights of netting about 30 min each night. I did check with the locale DOT to see if it was OK they said clean them out. The way I figure we made around $50.00 a hour and had loads of fun doing it. We did find the mother load at another overpass but it is going to take more planing that just adds more fun to it. so if your willing to swallow your pride and accept a little ridicule from your friends this can be a easy way to get training birds.

dmadis8

Re: Catching pigeons on overpasses

Post by dmadis8 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:41 am

Where do you live?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:12 am

Check your bylaws. It's against the law where I live. A friend of mine got a big fine.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 am

Sounds like you made out like bandits! When I was a kid we used to catch them like that in hay lofts but now everyone has metal machine sheds :cry:
Check your bylaws. It's against the law where I live. A friend of mine got a big fine.
He can afford to pay a fine with all the money he's saving :lol: :lol: :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:32 am

Sharon wrote:Check your bylaws. It's against the law where I live. A friend of mine got a big fine.
The only laws against catching pigeons from an overpass would be because they think you might be a traffic hazard. Everyone is wanting the pigeons gone from those places. They even have tried to place the blame for several bridge collapses on the manure rusting the supports. Think that got shot down though. But most towns are desperate to get rid of them except for a few PETA types.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:22 am

get your self some pigeons traps...a cage with a one way walk through gate put some food and water in it along with a pigeon sit in a flat area where the pigeons group up after a day or so they will start to go in the cage be sure to check it daily specially in the summer
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 am

kninebirddog wrote:get your self some pigeons traps...a cage with a one way walk through gate put some food and water in it along with a pigeon sit in a flat area where the pigeons group up after a day or so they will start to go in the cage be sure to check it daily specially in the summer
So now you are trying to do away with their fun. Catching with a 20 ft pole is a blast and a challenge. Think of it like fishing, a trap will work but is no where near as much fun as getting them on your line. Just depends on what you enjoy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:04 am

ezzy333 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:get your self some pigeons traps...a cage with a one way walk through gate put some food and water in it along with a pigeon sit in a flat area where the pigeons group up after a day or so they will start to go in the cage be sure to check it daily specially in the summer
So now you are trying to do away with their fun. Catching with a 20 ft pole is a blast and a challenge. Think of it like fishing, a trap will work but is no where near as much fun as getting them on your line. Just depends on what you enjoy.

Ezzy
That and you get those walking by asking what you are doing with that 20 foot pole and net. Some even what to give it a try themselves. Thats where the real fun begins. :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Sharon wrote:Check your bylaws. It's against the law where I live. A friend of mine got a big fine.
The only laws against catching pigeons from an overpass would be because they think you might be a traffic hazard. Everyone is wanting the pigeons gone from those places. They even have tried to place the blame for several bridge collapses on the manure rusting the supports. Think that got shot down though. But most towns are desperate to get rid of them except for a few PETA types.

Ezzy

As I said, not where I live. It's against the law and the fine is huge. The police stop and deal with you. ( I didn't make it up.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:28 am

Sharon wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

As I said, not where I live. It's against the law and the fine is huge. The police stop and deal with you. ( I didn't make it up.)
But Sharon,
We live in the land of the free and the home of the caught pigeons. :wink:
Its our national duty to remove all semblance of joblessness. We look at it this way: At least our pigeons have jobs. 8)

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:32 am

If there wren't any pigeons who would buy our gundog pups? :P :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39 am

A buddy and I have a special bridge where we catch them. We were out there one night and TX Highway Patrol came rushing up with lights ablaze. They asked what we were doing, we showed them our pigeons and they said have fun, be careful. (They thought we were spray painting the bridge.) We discovered that some bridges have metal supports and some have concrete. The bridges with metal hold more birds and they can be "herded" to the end and then caught by hand. Good times.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 am

Can NEVER have enough pigeons! I rode shotgun in the semi with my husband yesterday, as he delivered a load of corn to ADM. It's a huge place with semi's delivering all day. Anyway, after a few hours of waiting in line, we finally got to the dump station building. Pigeons EVERYWHERE. I must've looked a little wild-eyed like the dog does when she knows we're going hunting. :roll: From the cab, I was counting birds and scheming how I could nab some without the guy in the overhead room seeing me. 20' retractable pole sounds good. :mrgreen: If I could actually find someone to talk to, they'd probably be glad to let me put a trap there.

DNR rules in Iowa have a season from Oct-March. But if pigeons are within 100' of a building or bridge--they're fair game year round per the DNR.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 am

BigShooter wrote:If there wren't any pigeons who would buy our gundog pups? :P :lol:
I don't know about you, buy I just can't sell a pup to a pigeon. I sell to hunters, trialers, showpersons and pet owners.
Pigeons just teach birddogs to go against their nature. Imagin a bird training a dog to hunt people. Come on/ 8)

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:36 am

3Britts wrote:I don't know about you, buy I just can't sell a pup to a pigeon. I sell to hunters, trialers, showpersons and pet owners.
Pigeons just teach birddogs to go against their nature. Imagin a bird training a dog to hunt people. Come on/
It's people like you that have unfortunately, given breeders a good name.

P.S. I was with you up until showpersons & pet owners and then I started seeing pigeons again! :wink:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:57 pm

As Ezzzy said there's no laws prohibiting catching pigeons in most states, if at all None..The only concerns law enforcement has is your welfare, due to traffic hazards. Only thing I suggest is call your local police/sheriff's dept and tell them you'll be in the area catching some pigeons and that you'll be out of traffic..Of course usually at night time there's very few vehicles out and about..I too have caught a few for myself and it sure saves a bundle of cash!!!
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com