ANOTHER BREEDER OUT OF BISSNESS

bowhunter1221975

ANOTHER BREEDER OUT OF BISSNESS

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 am

I got some very disterbing news this morning i recived a email from shady medows gundogs saying that they were going to stop breeding an training dogs selling out. I am just a little upset i meet shawn a couple months ago when i was looking at pups and my freind and i went down to his place my freind bought a pup that day from him and i was looking to get a female from him. after i got my two going good now he is going out of bissness and selling all his gundogs this is good for the people looking for a good breed pup or dog but not good for gundogers in genral SO WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS i think we are lossing a good suporter of the sport of gundog hunting
RICHARD NANCE

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: ANOTHER BREEDER OUT OF BISSNESS

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:48 am

Isn't Shady Meadows the guy that has the preserve, lodge in KA and in Hawaii? Sure would be a shame, he was just hiring for both places. Was it economics or regulations regarding kennels and breeding?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 am

by Ruffshooter on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:48 am

Isn't Shady Meadows the guy that has the preserve, lodge
Same guy. I received the same email. He must have sent it to anyone he's had contacted in the past. Among other things he said it was due to ability to find good help. He seems to always have several litters on the ground so I'm sure it is hard to find help you would trust with taking care of all those pups.

LaReineBritt

Post by LaReineBritt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:54 am

what breed dog did he breed?

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 am

Pointers,Setters,GSPS,mostly but maybe a few others aswell.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 am

That is sad to hear. Shawn E. has been looking for help for a while. Having to do it all yourself can be very stressful. I'm sorry to see him go , but wish him all the best.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 am

It is very hard to find someone that can handle puppies and stuff the way you want
Also I am sure feed prices isn't helping either
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:04 am

The last I heard he was moving to Hawaii. I would think it would be hard to keep both places open and running. I am sure there are plenty of breeders to fill the void here in the mid-west. Sounded like he had a nice place he was developing over there. Hope it works out for him.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Sad story. He sent out a message to everyone last year and posted it on his website saying he was going out of business. Sold a lot of dogs under the banner of going out of business, but he never seem to slow down breeding.

Nitrex

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm with nitrex, I thought he went out of business a year ago. Is he selling his place or just getting out of the dog business?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I have spoke with Shawn throughout the last year and I to am perplexed. He said he is going out of business yet expanded operations to Hawaii recently. I guess I will believe it when I see it. Dangerous waters to tread to publicly make announcements like this and not follow through, (exactly what Nitrex was implying). I wish the best to him if it is true, he is a real nice guy.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Yep, got the same email.. I've had no dealings with him, but have chatted with him a couple of times. Seemed like a nice enough guy. Plenty of breeders still here in the mid states area, though I hate to see people go out of business.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Something awful strange-he advertised not long ago that he had already hired two trainers for the place here and was opening some big time operation over there.He's advertised for trainers more then once in the last couple of years.I'm sure there's more to it then what's being let known at this point.And may not have a thing to do with the price of dog food or the lack of help.He was asked a while back why he didn't have any pics of his kennel on his web site and he said he just didn't have time to take any(in 5 years),but he had pictures of his puppy whelping trailer?Hmmm.
Dog On Point!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 pm

I think there has always been something questionable about the operation. Will have to wait and see.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 pm

I have spoken with him a couple times in the last year and even sent a resume and applied for the jobs he was listing. I was told he had trainers hired to run the Hawaii operation and was looking for someone to run the Missouri site because he was moving to a more urban area for his family. I was told he was looking for people to invest in the operation as well as just work there as trainers or kennel people. He seems really nice but am not sure of what is going on. I was told like all of you that he was expanding operations and was going all out. This was just a couple months ago.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:21 pm

What really surprised me about receiving the email is I thought it was a reply to an email he sent me. He had just emailed me 2 or 3 weeks ago asking about a dog I had for sale.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:38 pm

All I can say is he always seemed to be going in a different direction but who knows what is really going on in another persons life,could be alot of reasons I can think of.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:05 pm

SHADY Meadows
Dog On Point!!

Pointers_31

Post by Pointers_31 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:24 am

I got that email also, he even said in it he is selling his whelping trailer. I hope he isn't going out of business, he owes me a puppy! I sold him a dog, and gave him a discount price for her with the understanding I would get a pup out of her. Well, that didn't happen and he turned around and sold her to someone else while she was bred! I have inquired about a couple litters that really didn't interest me, but I wanted to see if he would stand behind his word.....well no reply and no puppy over a year later!

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 am

by Pointers_31 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:24 am

I got that email also, he even said in it he is selling his whelping trailer. I hope he isn't going out of business, he owes me a puppy! I sold him a dog, and gave him a discount price for her with the understanding I would get a pup out of her. Well, that didn't happen and he turned around and sold her to someone else while she was bred! I have inquired about a couple litters that really didn't interest me, but I wanted to see if he would stand behind his word.....well no reply and no puppy over a year later!
You must be picky, I've seen at least 15-20 different litters on his site in the last year :D :D Seriously, I hope you get your pup. I had the same thing happen to me before.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:51 pm

postoak wrote:
[quoteI've seen at least 15-20 different litters on his site in the last year Seriously][ote]

Right,and what's the opposite of a respected Breeder who breeds to actually Improve the breed instead of selling pups just for $$$?.WAKE UP PEOPLE.I sure wouldn't want to be in the middle of any dealings with him,especially now.Does he list any satisfied customer References on his site? Another Strange thing,he doesn't say anything on his site about going out of business? May not want any attention drawn to him at this point?Who knows,time will tell
Dog On Point!!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I am not surprised. I saw a very very ugly thread he was involved in once on another forum. One of the most bizarre ones I have ever seen on a board, complete with threats.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Im not suprised either..Thats all Im saying.. :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I think all anyone knows is he sent out an e-mail that he is selling out. We don't know any more so rather than just assuming why don't we wait and see what happens? There is no reason to try and smear someone till we get the facts.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:42 pm

You must have been posting when i was Ezzy. :)

I think it's very sad to have a whole thread bashing a breeder. Nobody really knows the story and it's nobody's business anyways. He could have cancer, recovered and then had it return. He could be in divorce ( finances)problems. No one knows. We need to give each other a break and not judge.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:52 pm

I've heard good things and I've heard bad things.. One really never can know until they have dealt with the person themselves. I emailed him this morning about one of his stud dogs, and had a reply waiting when I got home. He has been super nice to me so far, so I am not going to jump upon the poo flinging bandwagon.
:wink:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Razor

Post by Razor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm

The economy is killing everyone. I highly doubt many people are buying pups or dogs right now. I have heard that many breeders and trainers are not doing so hot right now. I would bet that this guy is in the same boat.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Razor wrote:I highly doubt many people are buying pups or dogs right now. I have heard that many breeders and trainers are not doing so hot right now.
I think that ANYONE who has a large business OF ANY SORT could be in jeopardy. I think the small businesses can actually prosper some from this situation. I am a small outfit, and I could'nt be more thankful right now. I have 6 pups that are 7 weeks old, and 4 are going home Saturday. I've had my last deposit for almost a month. I have 2 pups remaining after Saturday and have 3 customers awaiting my call to see which pups are left. I can hardly belive how well things are going.. In the last week I've had calls from Newfoundland to New Mexico, and alot of places in between. Last night I got a call from a guy wanting 2 female pups out of our upcoming litter that has'nt even been bred yet.

I really think that small business are going to be okay, and perhaps even Soar. I'm not bragging, just trying to explain.. Belive me, I was worried if I'd even move them at all. Figured I'd have to almost give a few away. It's been awesome, and I'm sooooooo Thankful. :D :D :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:16 pm

You run a good business. If you are ever giving any away, give me a call.:)

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Sharon wrote:We need to give each other a break and not judge.
Well I don't know the guy from adam, but I saw the thread I saw and am free to judge. You WOULD NOT BELIEVE the stuff on there. I am a forum junkie when it comes to guns, dogs, and hunting and I have never EVER seen anything like that before.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:29 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:
Same guy. I received the same email. He must have sent it to anyone he's had contacted in the past. Among other things he said it was due to ability to find good help. He seems to always have several litters on the ground so I'm sure it is hard to find help you would trust with taking care of all those pups.
I really don't see how he could blame it on not finding good help, from what I understood he had quite a few good candidates. Also with the information he provided about the positions he was trying to fill, with the exception of lodging it was volunteer job for lack of a better word. He did offer a share of the company I believe but that doesn't look like much now, selling out in the worst economy in a loooong time.

I never heard any terrible things about the guy, never really dealt with him much though. I wish him the best regardless.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Razor wrote:The economy is killing everyone. I highly doubt many people are buying pups or dogs right now. I have heard that many breeders and trainers are not doing so hot right now. I would bet that this guy is in the same boat.

Your on the money there. The man I work with has been in the bird dog biz for over 50 years, longest continuos running kennel in the state, and he said the last season was the worst ever. I see very well bred dogs of all breeds selling for chump change now, 200 bucks for MillerXAdditions pups last week and a 2 year old GSP that does it all by the ad for 400. With the loss of hunting lands every year to the average hunter it will keep getting worse.

I don't know Sean from Adam but did find his job posting a bit odd especially the partner "clause".

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:13 pm

He has an Elhew Snakefoot Son on www.gundogsonline.com for $12,000 that's a little more then chump change.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:16 am

What you ask for a dog and what you get are two different things.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:00 am

Since this post seems to be going no where till there is more info available It will be locked. That will help some people from trying so hard to find fault with someone we know little about. When and if there is new info available we can open the thread back up.

Ezzy