Dog House Thoughts

peaceflmeadow

Dog House Thoughts

Post by peaceflmeadow » Tue May 11, 2004 9:04 pm

We have a couple dogs that MUST be outside for several reasons, and we always house them up as best as we possibly can. Right now we have a super dog den 2 from this company www.k-9kondo.com ...and were going to order a second (slightly smaller model) unless we found anything a bit better. I cannot seem to find any other companies creating something comparable, but thought I would quiz the masses first before making a decision. The dog den we use now is insulated, non chewable (corners are all rounded or reinforced with metal), swinging door, top comes off for cleaning, and it is 2 inches off the ground. Fairly expensive shipping unless you put it together yourself....which wasn't the funnest experience...let me tell you! Rivets and me didn't get along very well.

Any other possible suggestions??

Thanks!!!
Erin and Crew

peaceflmeadow

Post by peaceflmeadow » Fri May 28, 2004 1:18 pm

Well...we went ahead and got the k-9 kondo barrel house. I am happy with that. Has plenty of room...dogs find it cozy, and it was pretty easy to put together. Door is solid, and there is no chance for chewing from our never stop chewing shorthair. Decent price if you buy the barrel on your own.

Erin

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri May 28, 2004 1:26 pm

Cool, thanks for the info...

GRIFF MAN

Post by GRIFF MAN » Fri May 28, 2004 2:18 pm

I don't think you will find any better than the dog den.

IMO.

Griff Man

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun May 30, 2004 6:31 am

We have alot of the Dog Dens. Some on the inside of runs, my other half, Rick has his on the outside with the door only coming inside. This is MUCH better for the life of the house. I have dogs jumping up and standing on the top, which I found out the hard way, rusts it out quickly. I also foud out the 5 yr warranty covered only a dog chewing it.
brenda

feralaussie

Post by feralaussie » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:14 am

A friend with a GSP was telling me how everything he put in the dog's house got chewed until it looked like confetti. And I mean everything...... foam, mattress, blankets and so on.

He solved the problem by using straw. The dog was OK with it. :wink: Great insulator and not too tasty on the old buds.

My added thought- when cleaning it out, you could probably use the old straw as mulch in your garden.
:idea:

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:20 am

Straw in the garden as mulch is a good thought, if you don't want it to ever break down. :( Unfortunately, that's the down side of it.

peaceflmeadow

Post by peaceflmeadow » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:27 am

The straw is not a fun thing in my yard.....it is SOOO windy. We have broken down straw all over now that I try and rake out of the rocks every now and again. So I couldn't see putting it in my garden as it would just make things worse.

But, for bedding, it is 10 times better then blankets and such. If they are outside dogs, blankets and towels and foam just hold moisture and don't help keep the dog warm during rain or snowy times. You do have to clean out and change the straw because it will get moldy if there is enough moisture over time in the dog house, but that isn't much of a hassle. I have also used cedar shavings to rotate with the straw as one of my dogs can get irritated on straw too much.

Erin

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:20 am

That one of your new pups Patty?

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:44 pm

Yeah, that's one of my new babies...that time went all too soon, they're ready to leave next week already! I took that picture 2-3 weeks ago...aren't they cute?!