Supreme Pheasant Slayer 2008-09: Photo Essay Finale

SD Pheasant Slayer

Supreme Pheasant Slayer 2008-09: Photo Essay Finale

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 pm

With January 31st marking the end of the Nebraska pheasant season and the end of the Midwest upland seasons in general myself and some good buddies set out to finish the season with a bang. We’ve had a TREMENDOUS season of pheasant hunting, despite the doom and gloom reports of lost CRP acres and plowed under public spots. The doom is indeed justified as I can’t count on two hands the number of fields that were decent public hunting spots in Nebraska a few years ago and corn stubble now, but that’s a discussion for another day. Anyway… this photo essay takes place over the last two hunts of the season on the final weekend. Let’s jump right in with a taste of the covers:

A little back-story is appropriate: Justin, Caleb, and I (Adam) have been hunting together hard all year in SoDak and Nebraska. There’s a fair share of friendly ribbing over guns (Benelli SBEII, Ruger Red Label, and Citori 525) and more than enough one-liners regarding dogs – Justin seems to think his 38 lbs of Brittany is more dog than anyone could ever use, and both him and I agree that Caleb needs to invest in a REAL dog and retire his good-for-nothing lab. Of course, Caleb jumps at the chance to call our pointing breeds run-offs and points out nearly every less-than-perfect retrieve. Ultimately though, all three of the dogs have their own strengths and weaknesses and truth be told, I’d hunter over that good for nothing lab and feeble-minded Brittany any day, and if you get enough drinks in either of Caleb or Justin and they’d admit the same about Cash. Together, the three of us and those three dogs don’t miss many birds.
Lilly has a nose and legs that NEVER stop and she’s not afraid to show either of them off:

Bella is a hard charger with a nack for running roosters and a retrieve most pointer guys would kill for:

And of course Cash holds his own and then some, carrying out his duties with the youthful exuberance of an 8 month old pup:

The first day’s hunt was an overwhelming success. I was off coaching at a High School wrestling tourney while my colleagues laid waste to a four-man limit in less than three hours:

This bird never escaped the barrage coming from these gunners – Our dear friend Bekah, who owned the land was on her first hunt – She was going to kill this bird but failed to load the shotgun – Justin shouldered her burden admirably:

Turns out even an Oregonian and a Red Label can kill birds:

A few obligatory hero shots from day one:

Following a long day or wrestling/killing roosters, we set out for day two. Justin and I have kept pretty good track of our rooster tallies and coming into the last hunt of the season we were in a dead heat at 68 solo roosters apiece and couple dozen we’ve tag-teamed. Caleb I’m sure would tell us both that he had us beat, but his failure to keep track eliminates him for the race for Supreme Rooster Killer of 2008-09. Anyway – we were both deadset on coming out victorious. On to the hunt:

Bekah is a good friend for taking us all along – goofy looking, but a good friend:

Off we went to pillage Bekah’s enviable rooster population. Caleb set out on a side hill with Bella:

It didn’t take long for Lilly to stone a rooster and Justin to sneak ahead to 69:

Cash answered with a nice point that Caleb and Justin were oblivious to without the help of the camera girl – Caleb recovered to take care of business:

As usual, Caleb spends the majority of his time formulating crappy plans and bossing us all around:

I evened things up close to noon with a kill and had a shot to pull ahead with this bird. Our camera girl caught the moment perfectly as the rooster tipped sideways in the air, appearing to start a death dive. Unfortunately, he recovered and cruised away to keep us knotted at 69 apiece:

Bekah soon stoned her very first rooster over Cash – a proud moment for everyone:

The day drew to a close with Justin killing his 70th rooster of the season over another nice Lilly point. I failed to get off another shot and graciously bowed out with the final season totals standing at Justin: 70 Adam: 69 Caleb: Undeclared (probably in the neighborhood of 60-70 and Bekah: 1. *Author’s Note: Justin cheated midway through the season and killed a handful of released birds on a canned hunt, but I’m over it (Mostly)*
As the season drew the end, we all gathered for one last hero shot:

Ultimately, the season was an overwhelming success and one to look back on. For now, we spend our time drinking beer and reliving the hunts repetitively, waiting for the snow geese to get here and then for next August!

*Special Thanks to our lovely camera girl - Courtney (Justin's girlfriend) for her diligent recordificating of the hunts*

**Justin cheated**
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

Benny

Re: Supreme Pheasant Slayer 2008-09: Photo Essay Finale

Post by Benny » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:49 pm

SD Pheasant Slayer wrote: Image

Turns out even an Oregonian and a Red Label can kill birds:
First off, great pictures! Looks like an awesome season.
Secondly, that photo with the 2 gunners on the left looks slightly dangerous :D But I'm sure its just a camera aspect thing.
Third, Oregonian's are in better touch with pheasants than anyone else...its in our roots (Since 1882) :mrgreen:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Two things stand out in your story with pics. Beautiful grounds and great birds. But even more important is the time you each got to spend with each other doing something you all love. Those are times you will never forget. Good hunting is great, good dogs are wonderful and good friends are priceless.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Adam,
After reading your "exquisite narrative" and looking through your great action shots, it's obvious you spent some quality time with good friends and some awesome dogs. Ahhhh........ memories!!! It doesn't matter- the grounds, weather, bird count, just good times in the great outdoors. It doesn't get much better than that.
Thanks for sharing your remarkable "finale" to the hunting season. I felt like I was there. :D
Bill L.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:20 pm

Wow!!! I'm salivating and green with envy!!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

MARKB

Post by MARKB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I agree with the hunting with friends ( plus throw in a couple nice looking girls), these will be days you look back on as the "Good Ol Days". Cherish them !!!

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Very nice!! What a great season..... :)

edondero

Post by edondero » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 pm

you lucky bast, Adam. Cash has really come along, how steady for you is he on these hunts? Great looking hunt, photos, birds and dogs, and I still say that you and your buds will become fast hunting and drinking buddies with our boys from SC.
Emily

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Emily - Cash is basically steady to flush. Once in a while if you kick around on a real tight sitting bird for more than a couple seconds he'll creep up a little bit, but he's pretty solid for the most part. The project for this coming summer is steady to shot, we'll see how it goes. You send those SC boys out here some time next fall and we'll put your theory to test!
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Really enjoyed it!!! Great times and memories!
brenda

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:36 am

That was really neat. Wished I lived close to some good pheasant hunting.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:23 am

GREAT pictorial and essay!!!

If any Moderators read this post I would like to nominate this as a Hall of Fame Post!!!!