Back From Our First Hunt Test *PICS*

LoveMyGSPs

Back From Our First Hunt Test *PICS*

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Well we went to the TWCF Hunt Test down at Rodman Dam today for our first hunt test. Hubby and I brought the pup and our new adopted female. We only ran the pup as we are still waiting for our limited reg. for the female.

We were VERY fortunate that the foster mom of Hope (female) was there judging so we were able to borrow her blank hand gun and orange or green collar for the braces. We walked the course behind one of the JH teams way before us so we had an idea of what to do.

We were braced with a really nice male that was 1 y/o and it was his first hunt test and 3rd time on birds, just like Toby (6 mo).

At first they ran and played a little bit but as soon as the brace mate locked onto some quail, Toby figured out why he was there. They were both on point and flushed a covey of 3 quail, and that got the ball rolling. All in all, he pointed 3 quail, and I mean an actual point! His first 3 points EVER. Woop! The last point I was able to actually walk up and flush the bird myself, he held steady the whole time. He was a little machine! lol :lol:

We met a lot of really nice and helpful people and it def made the experience very welcoming and enjoyable for us. And to top it off, he got his first qualifying score in JH (7.5 all across the board). So we got our first ribbon. 8)

Heres a few pics. This is def a lot of fun and something hubby and I and the 2 dogs can all share in.

Hope hanging out on the stake out

Toby on his stake

Walking to the JH area

Waiting our turn

Proud Mom & Pup

Proud Dad & Pup
Last edited by LoveMyGSPs on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*!~Shantel~!*

vzkennels

Re: Back From Our First Hunt Test *PICS*

Post by vzkennels » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Way to go !! GOOD DEAL!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:21 pm

That is great! That's the way new folk should find their first hunt test - user friendly! Thanks for the pics.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Thats awesome to hear, congrats on the qaulifying scre and more important congrats on having fun and meeting a bunch of great people. Just becareful it can soon become an addiction 8)

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:45 pm

haha I think we are already addicted! We loved it either way and its nice to have something we both really seem to enjoy together although I can see there may be a fight on who gets to handle the dog lol. At least we have a 2nd now.
Randy B

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Congrats!!

This is a bit off topic, but I couldn't help but notice. The hunt tests I have been to looked NOTHING like that (background) Looks like Toby had some nice grass to lay on, here in Utah it seems like you stake teh dog out on dirt, then run them in teh sage brush. That's really neat for Toby, and both of you.

Good times....

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:23 pm

h.q.s wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I couldn't help but notice. The hunt tests I have been to looked NOTHING like that (background) Looks like Toby had some nice grass to lay on, here in Utah it seems like you stake teh dog out on dirt, then run them in teh sage brush. That's really neat for Toby, and both of you.

This was a really nice place. It used to be a little town where the fur traders would live, travel to, etc. The family who owns it is now converting the old hotel into a bed and breakfest and they allow clubs to rent the site for like hunt tests, horse back riding, parties, 4 wheeling, mudding, etc. I forget how many acres it is, but its HUGE (probably over 200). Theres lots of grass, shade, fields, creeks, trees, etc. The bathrooms are really nice, theres a kitchen with a bunch of stoves and a GIANT (meaning like at least 20x20) walk in freezer, and a pavillion where you can cook and have dances, etc.

The JH course went through the woods, on trails, with lots of cover and palmetto bushes. I didnt go on the Senior or Master courses but there was a big open field and then there was a big tree line. It was a great place esp for our first time. Gotta love Florida! ;)
*!~Shantel~!*

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:26 pm

BTW, heres a pic showing us starting out on course to give you an idea of how the course looked.

*!~Shantel~!*

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:04 pm

That's awesome. I'm waiting to find a hunt test in my area to participate in, and as another future first timer--I appreciate hearing everyone's stories. Congrats on getting a qualifying score your first time out!

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:08 pm

LoveMyGSPs wrote:
h.q.s wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I couldn't help but notice. The hunt tests I have been to looked NOTHING like that (background) Looks like Toby had some nice grass to lay on, here in Utah it seems like you stake teh dog out on dirt, then run them in teh sage brush. That's really neat for Toby, and both of you.

This was a really nice place. It used to be a little town where the fur traders would live, travel to, etc. The family who owns it is now converting the old hotel into a bed and breakfest and they allow clubs to rent the site for like hunt tests, horse back riding, parties, 4 wheeling, mudding, etc. I forget how many acres it is, but its HUGE (probably over 200). Theres lots of grass, shade, fields, creeks, trees, etc. The bathrooms are really nice, theres a kitchen with a bunch of stoves and a GIANT (meaning like at least 20x20) walk in freezer, and a pavillion where you can cook and have dances, etc.

The JH course went through the woods, on trails, with lots of cover and palmetto bushes. I didnt go on the Senior or Master courses but there was a big open field and then there was a big tree line. It was a great place esp for our first time. Gotta love Florida! ;)
I believe it was actually said to be 800 to 1000 acres which is really huge!
Randy B

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:10 pm

LoveMyGSPs wrote:BTW, heres a pic showing us starting out on course to give you an idea of how the course looked.

Yep, looks like there could be many places for birds in there.

Not only was it probably a fun hunt tests, bit a nice stroll in the woods :mrgreen:

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Yes it was a nice stroll. A little cool but it was nice b/c as you kept up the pace with the dogs, you got a little warm, and the temp kept you pretty cool. Thankfully they dont run in the summer which would be brutal down here. Esp in an area like that with NO wind and lots of bugs and mosquitos and snakes.
*!~Shantel~!*

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Congrats, and glad you had a great weekend! Hope to see you at some future events!
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Good job Guys, It is amazing how just a few birds will kick start the (bird dog juices). Congrats.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Yes i was very excited!!
Randy B