Pointer Puppy Question...

jhoughton

Pointer Puppy Question...

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:48 am

The new pointer pup (11 weeks) we got is getting acclimated to her new home pretty well. The only issue we have with her is she hates the cold. Anything below about 45 degrees her tail goes between the legs, she wines and she will run to the door to get back in the house, she won't even take a walk in this weather. She has been real bold on the warmer days (45+) exploring the yard and chasing the other dogs. I am attributing this to her age at this time but was wondering if "pointers" in general have less cold tolerance as this is my first pointer (we are in GA it never gets that cold here). How cold is too cold for a pointer pup at this age? We have been keeping her inside alot as the cold came in this week to avoid her obvious discomfort outside.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointer Puppy Question...

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 am

Good thing she doesn't live here in Ontario. -4 degrees F right now. ( -20 degrees celsius)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:14 am

A little pup may have some troubles adjusting to the cold temps, They are smart and it appears our dog likes being inside. I would take it outside and play with it. If its not too cold, I would put it in your kennel and it will get used to it. Do you have any photos of your pup?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 am

Be thankful!

My older dog is so cold natured that he is cold *inside* in the winter with the thermostat set on 69.

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:36 am

I have a GSP but noticed the same thing with my pup. She's 5 months old now and her cold tolerance has increased dramatically. She would barely stay outside long enough to go to the bathroom when I got her now I take her out running around the field, it's actually colder than when I got her, and it doesnt' bother her nearly as much. They acclimate to the climate as well from what I've been told.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 am

Mr. Crappie wrote:A little pup may have some troubles adjusting to the cold temps, They are smart and it appears our dog likes being inside. I would take it outside and play with it. If its not too cold, I would put it in your kennel and it will get used to it. Do you have any photos of your pup?
Here is a picture of her...

natel24

Post by natel24 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 am

My shorthair did not like that cold either when we first got him, he would go outside, goto the bathroom and be ready to come back in right away, then would lay on the floor and shiver for several minutes, it worried me to when it was first happening, i thought how am i gonna hunt in IL around december if he can't handle 40deg. Well now that he is nearly full grown he could care less about the cold especially when hunting. It was -28 here last week and i couldn't get him inside because he was busy chasing squirrells. I think your pup will be fine, good looking pup too.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

cocdawg

Post by cocdawg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:08 am

I agree w/ BellaDad and natel24. Give it some time. My GSP is just shy of 5 months and is loving the 20 degree weather now. In fact this weekend he jumped in the lake and had a blast. He has been around the lake many times but has never paid it much attention (other than to take a drink). Then, on the coldest day he's ever seen, he decides to take a swim. Go Figure! At first he did the same thing you are describing.

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:49 am

That is an awesome looking pup. Keep her warm. This time next year it won't be a deal. I should be getting my pup in a few weeks and if the cold weather persists I will be keeping her in the garage for awhile.

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:49 pm

I have a 4 month old Vizsla and she was the same way.....i'd have to pick her up and carry her outside....she's do her business as quickly as possible and SPRINT back to the house....she's gotten a lot better though....i wouldn't go as far as to say she enjoys the cold and snow...but she is tolerant of it