Just posting some pictures of my Llewellin Setter.

BirdDogDesire

Just posting some pictures of my Llewellin Setter.

Post by BirdDogDesire » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:31 am

Imagepointing out some song birds in the bushes. Her first actual longer than 2 seconds point.

Getting more instense, this was taken three days after the top picture. You cannot see but there was a bobwhite quail in the yard, we released it.

Image Taped a quail's wings together and she lost it under this bushhog. She was really wanting it!!!

Below was taken two days ago in the garage. Lily at peace.

gunner

Re: Just posting some pictures of my Llewellin Setter.

Post by gunner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:12 pm

Being from Indiana and noting your interest in Llewellin setters you might be interested to know that the great Llewellin Setter icon, a pillar of the American Llewellin setter strain, won his very first field trial at Col. A. G. Sloo's farm near Vincennes, IN, in Nov. 1880. Col. Sloo's grandson, the late Jim Sloo of Indianapolis, a member of the old Marion Co. Pointer and Setter Club was a mentor to me. Jim shared considerable information about his grandfather and Count Noble for Indiana's Field Trial Centennial in 1980 which I was co-chairman.
Col. Sloo was a noted field trial judge, often officiating with Herman Hulman of Terre Haute partnering with G. G. Pabst of Milwaukee with their Blue Ridge Kennels and employing the great dog handler David Rose as their trainer.

Here's a link to Count Noble and Llewellins written at this site earlier.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=12980&p=116683&hil ... A6#p116683

An old lithograph from the Smithonian Collection. It depict Count Noble's owner and handler, David Sandborn with his two early imported Llewellin's (known as the Field Trial Breed at that time) Dan and Nellie.

BirdDogDesire

Post by BirdDogDesire » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:14 pm

gunner wrote:Being from Indiana and noting your interest in Llewellin setters you might be interested to know that the great Llewellin Setter icon, a pillar of the American Llewellin setter strain, won his very first field trial at Col. A. G. Sloo's farm near Vincennes, IN, in Nov. 1880. Col. Sloo's grandson, the late Jim Sloo of Indianapolis, a member of the old Marion Co. Pointer and Setter Club was a mentor to me. Jim shared considerable information about his grandfather and Count Noble for Indiana's Field Trial Centennial in 1980 which I was co-chairman.
Col. Sloo was a noted field trial judge, often officiating with Herman Hulman of Terre Haute partnering with G. G. Pabst of Milwaukee with their Blue Ridge Kennels and employing the great dog handler David Rose as their trainer.

Here's a link to Count Noble and Llewellins written at this site earlier.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=12980&p=116683&hil ... A6#p116683

An old lithograph from the Smithonian Collection. It depict Count Noble's owner and handler, David Sandborn with his two early imported Llewellin's (known as the Field Trial Breed at that time) Dan and Nellie.

Thank you for the post, I am only about 45 minutes from Vincennes. I have family in Bicknell that owns farm land. Should produce some quail.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Nice looking little girl, whats the breeding?

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:13 pm

The area around Bicknell was an early hotbed for bird dog and field trial activity. The Indiana Kennel Club held it's inaugural field trial there in 1887.

Noted trainer of the U. R. Fishel's 1914 National Champion Comanche Frank, John A. (Jack) Gude resided and trained there on large populations of quail and prairie chicken (extirpated in Indiana 1974)

It was at Bicknell, IN, where the American Field's ace reporter Albert Hochwalt attended his first field trial in 1888. William Brown wrote in his book " Albert F. Hochwalt a Biography" 1939, " Attendance at the trials of the Indiana Kennel Club proved an exciting experience for the Dayton novitiate. It was at those Bicknell trials in 1888 that Al Hochwalt met two men who were to be of inestimable importance in shaping his career ;viz., Dr. N. Rowe, then owner of the American Field, and Major J. M. Taylor, bird dog authority and author."

Brown continued.." Albert Hochwalt went to Grand Junction, TN, in 1904 to attend his first National Championship. He did not miss another National Championship for over thirty years. From 1904 to 1936his record of thirty-three National Championships, thirty-two of them ridden brace after brace from beginning to end, constitutes an amazing record. He contributed much to the prestige of the stake."

1900 National Champion, Llewellin setter Lady's Count Gladstone. Owned by G. G. Williamson, Muncie, IN. handled by David Rose

BirdDogDesire

Post by BirdDogDesire » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 pm

gunner wrote:The area around Bicknell was an early hotbed for bird dog and field trial activity. The Indiana Kennel Club held it's inaugural field trial there in 1887.

Noted trainer of the U. R. Fishel's 1914 National Champion Comanche Frank, John A. (Jack) Gude resided and trained there on large populations of quail and prairie chicken (extirpated in Indiana 1974)

It was at Bicknell, IN, where the American Field's ace reporter Albert Hochwalt attended his first field trial in 1888. William Brown wrote in his book " Albert F. Hochwalt a Biography" 1939, " Attendance at the trials of the Indiana Kennel Club proved an exciting experience for the Dayton novitiate. It was at those Bicknell trials in 1888 that Al Hochwalt met two men who were to be of inestimable importance in shaping his career ;viz., Dr. N. Rowe, then owner of the American Field, and Major J. M. Taylor, bird dog authority and author."

Brown continued.." Albert Hochwalt went to Grand Junction, TN, in 1904 to attend his first National Championship. He did not miss another National Championship for over thirty years. From 1904 to 1936his record of thirty-three National Championships, thirty-two of them ridden brace after brace from beginning to end, constitutes an amazing record. He contributed much to the prestige of the stake."

1900 National Champion, Llewellin setter Lady's Count Gladstone. Owned by G. G. Williamson, Muncie, IN. handled by David Rose

Awesome... I am going to have to get my butt down at the farm to see if I cannot find any quail. I know there are some more still around there.