My New Kennel (Photos)

Fair Fields

My New Kennel (Photos)

Post by Fair Fields » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:49 am

Kennel design and plans are always a topic on this board so I thought I would share what I have been working on for the last 6 months. It is pretty much finished - I just finished the electric last week. The building is 30x32 with a 30x16 overhang in the back. My dogs have been in the building for 4 months and to this point I haven't found anything I would change.

Exterior Photos

Interior - I decided to build dog boxes as opposed to indoor kennel panels. I am very happy I did. The dogs are warm and most of all they are quiet when I am in the building working. I also use the top of the boxes and work space and they work out nicely for table training.

For drainage I put in an 8 inch trench style drain. It runs down hill into a PVC drain that drains into a 20 gallen catch basin. This prevents any debri from getting into and clogging the drainage line. The burried barrel has a drainage tile running out the other side and carrying the waste water into a "leaching area". So far it is working great.

The boxes are huge. They have a small wall that allows the straw or bedding to be kept in place and away from the door. We used the K9 Kondo doors. They were a pain to install and trim out on the exterior - but they are chew proof and nice.
Outside of K9 door
Inside of K9 door
Dog Box Interior

We currently have 3 (5x10 runs) and 1 (10x10). The configuration could be expanded to be 5 total runs. We got the panels from Options Plus and I am happy with them to this point.

Steve

natetnc

Re: My New Kennel (Photos)

Post by natetnc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:55 am

very nice

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:08 am

Wow, one of the nicest I've seen. Great job! How many dogs do you have?

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:46 am

Could you explain the leaching area setup? (materials, how deep to dig, etc...)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:19 pm

I have 3 dogs and a new pup coming next month. 2 of my dogs were in the house for 5 years so they are VERY clean in the kennels. I only spray out my kennels as needed - not a chore at all.

The barrel I buried is actually a sump pump pit. They are made to be buried in your basement. I buried it flush with the ground. I placed about 10 inches of gravel around it and under it. Then I drilled MANY holes in the barrel all around and on the bottom. There is a 3" PVC pipe coming from the kennel drain. About 2 inches lower on the the other side of the barrel there is a 4" line going out. Therefore, the barrel never overflows - there is more water going out then ever coming in. Any water that ends up below the height of the outgoing line eventually leaches out the holes in the bottom of the pit. The line going out is typical black drainage tile with the holes. It runs about 50 feet. It is only buried 6 inches or so but has 6 inches of gravel under it and around the sides to help with drainage. The purpose of the pit is to catch hair, solid waste, leaves that would potentiall cause problems in the lines. If they make it into the barrel I occasionally lift the lid and clean the barrel out.

Hope that helps.

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 pm

your design is exactly what I`ve been looking for
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:16 pm

Fair Fields, that is beautiful...nice work and thanks for explaining the drainage system like you did...if you do not mind me asking (other than your 6 months of labor) how much do you think you have into the building, kennels and drainage system?...roughly 2.5K, 5K, 7.5K, 10K, etc.

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:12 pm

The building itself serves as more than just my dog kennel. I park my truck inside and also store all my lawn care equipment and tools. The barn is 32x46x10. There is a 16 ft insulated garage door and 2 man doors/2 windows. It has a concrete floor, water, and electric. My buddy who built my new house also built the barn structure. I took over once the shell was up. I would have built the barn with or without dogs - I need the extra space...granted it would have been a bit smaller!

The drainage system is also tied to my down spout drains. They help to flush it out with rain water. I think I put about $200 in it. The kennel panels are nicer coated and welded wire - I put about 1200 in them since I already had some. The dog doors are $59 ea. I built the dog boxes inside for probably $500. They are raised off the ground with treated 2x and they each have 3/4" horse stall mates in them. I wanted to get the dogs off the concrete.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:12 am

Very very nice.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:35 am

That is VERY nice.

A member of my NAVHDA club has his indoor housing set up just like you. He even made the boxes look like cabinetry and can use it for a workbench if need be. That's a great idea. Denise