Stopping one dog from chewing the other's collar

Equismith

Stopping one dog from chewing the other's collar

Post by Equismith » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:46 am

My feamle Brit will not stop chewing my male Brit's collar. I've gone through one nice leather one and a ragged nylon one. I've gone to a chain collar for the male.

Any suggestions on how to stop the female from this habit? I'm scared she's going to lose some teeth when they play. Aside from building separate outside kennels, what might I try?

She (Libby) is 16 mos old. Beacon's maybe 4yo I'm guessing. He's my recent shelter rescue. He's pretty well mannered. She's a pain and I'm wondering if it's just the puppy still in her.

Thanks.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Stopping one dog from chewing the other's collar

Post by Karen » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:32 am

As long as the collar is tight enough so that your male can't get to it himself, you can put something like bitter apple on his collar and let your female have at it. I wouldnl't use hot sauce as it could really iritate your male's skin.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:11 am

Spray or soak the collar in some flavor the female doesn't like

and pepper type stuff I would steer away from as it can burn the males neck

I have used absorbine or a tea tree oil and let dry first on puppy collars lightly on the outside
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 am

Take their collars off when they are in the kennel together. My dad has two labs and a setter kenneled together. One night about 2am he awoke to one of the dogs screaming bloody murder. He jumped up and went to the kennel in his underwear to find the setters hind leg through one of the labs collars. It was a choke chain and to make matters worse it had also got twisted around once and really cinched down. It took him a while to get them undone. Needless to say, lesson learned.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:30 am

An e-collar, if you have one, on a low setting is a good way to stop unwanted behavior. When she grabs the other dog’s collar, give her a little stimulation until she lets go. Consistency is the key, so I would remove your male’s collar when I wasn’t around to monitor the behavior. It shouldn’t take long for her to get the idea to leave his collar alone.

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:14 pm

i remember about a year ago my female EP was playing with a friends lab, when my dogs collar somehow got wedged between the teeth of the lab. My dog freaked out and twisted the collar into a figure 8 basically which caused it to choke her. if i hadnt been right there she probably would have died. the lab was too freaked out by her screaming and the situation itself to try and get the collar out of his mouth. since then i try and remember to take the collars off the dogs when they play. if you must have the collars on, i would try spraying a bit of that bitter apple stuff on it, although i have seen some dogs that are immune to it. have you tried scolding the dog as soon as she goes for the males collar? a zap with the ecollar would be my last resort, but it would probably work faster than the bitter apple.
Brian

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I guess I want the collars on the dogs in the rare chance they get out of the kennel. That way my name and number are on the collars. Although the top of the kennel is wired and electric, they have not escaped.... yet...

I guess I could chip'em. Neither are.

Where might I find the bitter apple stuff?

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:48 pm

Where might I find the bitter apple stuff?

almost any pet store sells it

its used mainy to get dogs to stop chewing funiture or household stuff,

not sure if it would irritate the wearers neck though or not