EEE Gads....such carnage....Owl's have no table manners

WiskeyJaR

EEE Gads....such carnage....Owl's have no table manners

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Went to let me pigeon free to fly this morning and found this guy sitting in me loft. yes...I had forgotten to close the re-entry hole last night :(

Here a couple pics.

Wife wouldnt let me have "Owl Steaks" for breakfast, so the bugger is sitting in the tree tops waiting for the next batch of treats......wife leaves soon to go shoping, now where did I put that crossbolt. :roll:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: EEE Gads....such carnage....Owl's have no table manners

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:34 pm

I hear rumors that the chinese make a soup from them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Did he wipe you out on pigeons then? He sure is beautiful.

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:50 pm

Did he wipe you out on pigeons then?....
Yup all gone, there is five bodies in corner of loft each with out a head, wings and feet in middle of loft. Only had 7 birds, so was just a small dinner for the buggar. Was a "Barred Owl" according to pics on 'net.

Next time......(Thumbs threw grandma's reciepe book....)

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:09 pm

next time.....owl soup...only don't tell anyone what the main ingredient in your soup is as it is a $10,000 dollar fine to dispatch a bird of prey, NO MATTER what they did to deserve it. :wink: Now that he has learned about your trap door for the pigeons he won't forget and will be back.
I'm very very surprised he let you handle him. he must have been full o plenty on his meal of pigeon and sluggish. Like the Copper's hawk, I heard the Barred owls go into kill mode no matter whether they are full or not.

47sgs

Post by 47sgs » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:02 pm

This Great Horned owl was in my coop last month. There were a few birds still out at dark so I didn't cover the pigeon gate. Big mistake !! He killed several. My wife made me net it and let it go. I wasn't smart enough to drive it 20 miles away and see how his homing instincts are.