Deep frying gamebirds?

lightonthebay

Deep frying gamebirds?

Post by lightonthebay » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Can upland game birds be deep fried and still be tender and tasty or is that too fast of a cooking method for such lean meat?

Aaron Proffitt

Re: Deep frying gamebirds?

Post by Aaron Proffitt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:36 pm

I do it with ducks and geese using a special batter ...mmmm, good.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:40 pm

I will try it with ducks. I would think that there extra fat would make them a prime candidate for deep frying. What's your batter recipe?

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm

lightonthebay wrote:Can upland game birds be deep fried and still be tender and tasty or is that too fast of a cooking method for such lean meat?

I do it all the time. I sometimes even inject quail etc just as I would with a turkey. I will use a 60/40 course/fine fish batter with a good helping of cajun seasoning. I then roll the bird in mustard and then roll it in the batter keeping the coating light and fry. A couple of quail take a few minutes. About 6 and golden brown. Have always come out excellent. I also have deep fried venison tenderloins which is the same process.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 pm

OK, I'm gonna give it a try with sharptail. Thanks.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 pm

Deep fried Quail are OUTSTANDING. MMMM MMMMM MMMMM. :D

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Deep fried pheasant, chukar & quail are a favorite in this house!The key...don't fry them too long and use cornmeal as your coating.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Kiki's mom, are you putting a cornmeal coating on the entire bird (like a thanksgiving turkey) or on the jointed bird (KFC style)? It seems there is a common denominator in this thread and that is to use a coating. I suppose a coating would help retain the moisture of the bird. I will assume all birds are skinned rather than plucked.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:19 am

lightonthebay wrote:Kiki's mom, are you putting a cornmeal coating on the entire bird (like a thanksgiving turkey) or on the jointed bird (KFC style)? It seems there is a common denominator in this thread and that is to use a coating. I suppose a coating would help retain the moisture of the bird. I will assume all birds are skinned rather than plucked.
Assumption is correct for mine I don't have time to pluck them I just skin them. When I do mine I just roll/rub the mustard on the bird while it is whole and then do a really light batter coating. I like using the split/60/40 bc it doesn't make it so thick just a little added flavor on the outside.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:07 am

Thank you all! I'm gonna be a fryin' fool! But not today because I have a vegetarian coming over for dinner. Vegetarians always look "pissed off and sickly" to me.
Last edited by lightonthebay on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 am

MillerClemsonHD wrote:
lightonthebay wrote:Can upland game birds be deep fried and still be tender and tasty or is that too fast of a cooking method for such lean meat?

I do it all the time. I sometimes even inject quail etc just as I would with a turkey. I will use a 60/40 course/fine fish batter with a good helping of cajun seasoning. I then roll the bird in mustard and then roll it in the batter keeping the coating light and fry. A couple of quail take a few minutes. About 6 and golden brown. Have always come out excellent. I also have deep fried venison tenderloins which is the same process.

Ok you're gonna have to be a little more specific for this ol boy. Do you use dry mustard or prepared mustard?

Thanks
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 am

mtjim wrote:
MillerClemsonHD wrote:

Ok you're gonna have to be a little more specific for this ol boy. Do you use dry mustard or prepared mustard?

Thanks
I used prepared mustard instead of using egg. The meal sticks to the mustard better and gives it just the slightest hint of flavor. I usually use spicy mustard but just plain old mustard works just as well. I actually use mustard when frying vegetables and fish now as well. I also use this method to put a dry rub on ribs, boston butts, shoulders, tenderloins

Aaron Proffitt

Post by Aaron Proffitt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:59 am

MillerClemsonHD wrote:

Exact same thing I do to thin sliced duck and geese . Add a little red pepper and fry batter. Best steak fingers people who swear they hate waterfowl ever had.

Bowbldr

Post by Bowbldr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:39 pm

Deep Fried..... Long known as the best two words in front of any noun.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:48 pm

I didnt know there was any other way to cook gamebirds ?????????????????????????

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:02 am

Here's deep-frying tip for gamebirds: cook legs seperately from whole breasts. Otherwise, by the time the breasts are done, the legs will be well past their flavor peake.

(Can't remember which of the classic quail writers proclaimed it a sin to fry quail, but he must never have tried them deep fried.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

fire angel

Post by fire angel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 am

I cut pheasant into small chunks, roll'em in Shore Lunch and throw'em in the deep fryer all of the time. One of my favorite ways to cook them.