truck box organization

hustonmc

truck box organization

Post by hustonmc » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm looking for some ideas from the fellow traveling hunters. I've been traveling farther and farther each weekend looking for birds because our population has gone down the drain. The farther I go the more stuff I need to live out of the truck for the weekend. I will also be traveling for NSTRA trials this spring so I'm looking for something to help with my organization needs.
I'm thinking along the lines of a canopy, putting 3/4 plywood on the rail to sleep on and store stuff under the plywood and have the dog boxes in the back. I hate to redneck everything together and have in unreliable. Are their products like this on the market or what reliable idea have you all come up with. I like the idea of sliding gun safes that install in the back, but the ones I've seen are huge. I'd still like to be able to fit at least 3 dog boxes in the back, and have room the load and un-load dogs with out moving stuff every time.
So ya, sliding organized storage, room for kennels, and somewhere to sleep. I'm young, dumb and tough so I can live like a cave man if it means I can be closer to awesome chuckar and hun hunting.

Kmack

Re: truck box organization

Post by Kmack » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:00 pm

I have been trying to decide on this for quite some time and have decided that I'm going with a fiberglass topper, bedrug liner, and a folding mattress that folds into a sofa with back-rest and folds out into a bed.

similar to this http://www.calconcepts.com/BedLinerKits ... rkits.html. Room for gear and crates for travel but dog sleeps on the bed so I can move the crates outside once I get there.

Eventually a trailer for the dogs.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:50 am

Try Shamrock Dog Toppers.

Tyler Coach manufacturing Inc.
269 Oakland Maine 04963

207-465-2267
They ship all across the country. Do custom orders also. Or if making your self, some good ideas.

A truck cap, platform for the dog crates or build a three hole box suspended from side rails so clear space under, tent, guns under the seat, five gallon water jug, small coleman stove, A tote for clean or dry clothes, Coole for food. There you go moblile, cheap, some what comfortable. Side note "(DO NOT EVER RUN A PROPANE HEATER IN A TRUCK CAP)" Every few years some one comes up hear for a cheap dear hunt in the back woods of Moosehead, sets up and sleeps in the back of their truck and turns on a small Propane heater and is found dead the next day.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:32 pm

I built this a couple years ago and it works fairly well: Image

the plywood holds two dog boxes on top, and there is plenty o-room underneath. spent many a night in there. like i said, it works pretty good: the reason i'm not totally sold on it, is becuase the dog boxes are clear in the back, and w/ a lifted pickup like this and a long day of chukar hunting, jumping in sux! maybe i'm just getting old. :wink:

mind you that this is a F350 and the shell is tall enough over the rails to put a sheet of plywood directly over and fit medium dog boxes. some dog boxes wont fit in this set up in any other pickup. just a heads up.
Chris

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Why not get a dog trailer and a camper shell and keep the truck for yourself. :D
Just a thought!

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey NVgsp can you re-post picture, not sure it's showing up, maybe just my computer. I have an 06 F250 so I'd like to see that set up.
Meller wrote:Why not get a dog trailer and a camper shell and keep the truck for yourself. :D
Just a thought!
$$$$$$$$$$$ I guess that's the biggest reason. Want to still be able to pull the mule trailer as well. That's right a mule trailer, LOL. Plus, if I don't have the mules I don't want a parachute aka camper sucking an extra 5mpg. Some of the roads I travel into the back country can get rough, I can see myself getting a lil nervous with a top heavy camper in the back. But thanks though, I like the way your thinking.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:55 pm

Those are 2 large size crates sitting side by side. I can get a third smaller kennel in and still have room on one side for other gear or laying out a sleeping bag?? This is a 6 ft box, and full sized 8 ft box you could obviously fit more. Dogs are let out by opening the kennels through the side of the topper. They exit down the narrow runway out the back. I got a little greedy with the drawer depth (12"), so getting the kennels in there is a little tight, but they hold a bunch of gear and access to it is very easy without moving kennels all around. Learned a few things as I was putting this together and would change a few things if I ever did it again. A couple things would be to shorten the drawer depth an inch and use an over sized end on the drawer to cover the gap between the drawer and the frame which makes it a little cleaner looking. Probably have a little over $200 worth of materials in it.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 am

all these pics are a couple years old. unfortunately i dont have my dog rack put together this season yet, so i cant take any new pics. the first is a close up, of how i used 2x4's and hinges to keep the boxes from moving. and the second pic is another snap shot of us posing up a dog w/ some chukar, but the back of the pickup is in clear view.
All you need to build one is:
4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood
2: 2x4's
2: door hinges
screws

Hope this helps. if you need additional pics, i might be able to put it together in the yard, but that wont happen until the weekend. let me know. trust me, i'd love to just throw a topper on the pickup but like you said $$$$. this is an easy and cheap alternative, especially if you only have a couple dogs.
Chris

mallard

Post by mallard » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:49 pm

The perfect truck organization is always a work in process...Currently, drawers that run the full length of the truck bed are critical. This holds firearms, shells, bird cleaning equip., leash, collar, boots, vests, etc., etc., etc.. The platform that covers the drawers is covered in a marine style carpeting to help keep crates from moving and to soften the "bed" should we need to sleep there. I also have a water tube that mounts to the inside rail under the cap. This has proven incredibly useful and it otherwise would be wasted space. Most of this was created in our garage and a resonable cost. Look for
somebody that is "outgrowing" their rig. Buy used the first time, save money, and learn what you really like before making a larger investment. GOOD LUCK!!!!