differences in males and females

emae

differences in males and females

Post by emae » Thu May 06, 2004 10:06 am

I have read that the male gwps tend to be a bit more laid back than the female. We have a female who is a ball of energy to put it mildly. We are due to get a male this summer, and just getting more thoughts on this, if any. We will be getting the male no matter what,just curious if this has any truth to it or not.

grousehunter

Post by grousehunter » Thu May 06, 2004 12:20 pm

My male gwp has more energy than you can imagine but it very calm in the house. I don't know about other peoples gwp males but mine tends to act a little dominate to other dogs, but not really aggressive.

seadog

Post by seadog » Tue May 11, 2004 12:42 am

Alpha males, you gotta love them. Have you come up against another alpha ? You may notice a side of your dog you never knew you had. After 12 yrs and still counting with an A1 male , it's never a dull moment .

grousehunter

Post by grousehunter » Tue May 11, 2004 12:03 pm

Yes I have seen the other side. A couple of months ago I was out in the middle of nowhere traing in a field when some hippy came along with his dog. My dog wanted nothing to with it. I told the guy I was busy and I walkd the opposite way he did, so I thought.
About 20 minutes later I was working my dog and he just stopped and looked back the direction we came, there was Mr. hippy and his dog. The guy was wanting to know why I hunted etc... o I went to get my dog and head to the truck and saw they were circling around each other , and before I could even get him the hippy dog nipped him on the back of the leg and that was it. My dog put it on him, took a pretty good chunk out of his shoulder and had him down when I picked him up. He was 10 months old and it suprised me he did that, but I was also glad that he stuck up for himself.

Helen

Post by Helen » Tue May 11, 2004 1:39 pm

I have a gwp dog but have no experience of bitches as he's my first wirehair. He is sooo laid back in the house. I thought my springer was bad but he is practically comatose when he is inside. He's a VERY good house dog. He is a pretty steady worker as well. Covers the ground very well and finds everything that is there but he goes at his own pace.

Helen

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu May 13, 2004 5:08 am

Over the years, I've had both males and females. I have almost always found the males to be more cooperative, more eager to do things my way. The girls always have to "think about it" before coming to the conclusion that my way really is better.

I also find the girls to be more naturally protective, not nasty, nor aggressive, just watchful.

I love my girls, they have wonderful senses of humor, but sometimes...........