kinda amazing

snips
GDF Junkie

kinda amazing

Post by snips » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:22 am

Yesterday evening Rick & I were working dogs. After we had worked around 4 dogs apiece in the training field with each of us either shooting a blank gun or gun over each dog.......I took a dog into an area that I had seen a bird fly, around the middle of the field, dog came in and suddenly a dotted fawn took out! Baby had laid there while we worked dogs all around it with shooting. I guess they don`t put off any scent because the dogs never smelled it, then the dog I was working pointed the bird that was there.
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:00 am

That is amazing!

Best,

ward myers

fawn

Post by ward myers » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:20 pm

i have had same experience with deer , while wild bird hunting .
was shooting singles . my GSP was on point & kept looking to my left while i was walking up next to him . i looked to my left & made eye contact with a doe that was laying down ,she bolted when we made eye contact i watched her run to the next county ,then walked up & flushed & shot the bird my dog was pointing.
I see dear on a regular basis in the woods while hunting .
it seems they wont move unless you make eye contact or are walking straight at them .

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:21 am

brenda has lots of deer at her place.... mine went on a several hour long romp last year after some last summer before i had a chance to stop them.... in fact, that was the method that we accidentally used to get one of our dogs off of our heel :roll: :roll: :roll:

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:47 pm

baby deer have no scent so be careful, easy to step on one.

we have had some brought in by folks out hiking, they thought the mom had deserted the baby, causes troubles as you then bottle feed or put down.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:46 am

Was in a field trial gallery once. Dogs ran through a big piece of green grass. After them came the gallery, about 30 of us. A spotted fawn jumped up out of the grass the dogs had just gone through and ran about 30 yards. Then it dropped and lay down again. Was not fooling us, because from horseback vantage point, we could all see it lying there, but pretty good strategy apparently.