Relationships and field trialing

nowicki2005

Relationships and field trialing

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:17 pm

A guy told me that if I ever wanted to get serious into field trialing to make sure that my gf or wife was really into it too. He said that it can put a lot of stress on a relationship if they don't and he has seen some guys as examples. How much truth is there to this in your opinions? At first I thought he was just kinda bsing but he wasnt.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Relationships and field trialing

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:39 pm

You need someone very understanding and supportive

if you get in to the trialing and training...it takes up a lot of time and if they don't share it they can get jealous of it

in the same token should you fnd someone with the same passion don't get bent out of shape if they are better at smehting then you either draw off of each other strengths
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:02 pm

I'd think that if they love dogs and riding horses, you have 1/2 the battle won.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 pm

If you want to be very serious then his statements are very true. It takes a lot of money, your time , and missed social events that conflict with a trial. Just some of the things she would gain is , something you can enjoy together, travel and see different parts of the country, make a lot of friends with the same interest,and creat memories that you share and will remember forever.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 pm

I just thought it was interested that he brought it up because the more I thought about it, if a person really wanted to be serious, it becomes a lifestyle....

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:56 am

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I can say that our household (no kids) runs much more smoothly than it otherwise would because both of us have interests we are passionate about. They're not the same, but I will go to her horse shows and support her, and she'll come fly fishing with me or whatever. But that's what works for us. In our case we don't have to share the same passion, just a passion.

It also helps when her hobby is much, much more expensive than all of mine combined! :wink: Makes those, 'honey I'm going on my annual salmon fishing trip for a whole week and it's on your birthday' talks go a lot better.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:34 am

I always tell my single guy friends, "Don't look for a girl who loves dogs, otherwise she'll end up back at camp scooping poop while you're out riding. Look for a girl who LOVES HORSES!!!!"

worked for me. My husband was only marginally interested in dogs, hunting, and trialing, until I bought him a horse :D Now, he's more into it than I am!

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

rhines

Post by rhines » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:03 pm

nowicki2005 wrote:he has seen some guys as examples
Well I guess I am one of those guys. I can honestly say that looking back at it ... I knew that my wife wasn't really into it and I think that is what me made me want to do it more ... LOL. It wasn't exactly the best relationship from the start and I saw it as a way to escape for the weekends.
Eventually, it did come to a head and divorce followed ... but that wasn't the root cause, only the excuse for it.

Yes, it is best if you both enjoy things together ... but really only if you enjoy being together to begin with.

I have brought my new girlfriend to two field trials so far ... she is already talking about taking riding lessons so she can participate with me. She enjoys the dogs and the event, she is just a little funny about the horses. I'll teach her to handle and let her run my puppy so she will get hooked into the game.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:26 pm

nowicki2005 wrote:I just thought it was interested that he brought it up because the more I thought about it, if a person really wanted to be serious, it becomes a lifestyle....
If you do any advanced bird dog training, whelp a few litters......it IS a lifestyle.

Dog chores, horse chores, quail, pigeons....lifestyle for sure.
Dan

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Wyndancer wrote:
nowicki2005 wrote:I just thought it was interested that he brought it up because the more I thought about it, if a person really wanted to be serious, it becomes a lifestyle....
If you do any advanced bird dog training, whelp a few litters......it IS a lifestyle.

Dog chores, horse chores, quail, pigeons....lifestyle for sure.

Yep! I'll second that sentiment 110%
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:52 pm

You can say the same thing about pretty much anything you want to do. And, the more you spend on it, the worse it gets. It ain't just dogs!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

rizz1

Post by rizz1 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:20 pm

i wish mtlee would comment on this one. or a least give the story of his first trial with his girl friend. if she made it through the conditions there matt she is pretty strong

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:06 pm

nowicki2005 wrote:A guy told me that if I ever wanted to get serious into field trialing to make sure that my gf or wife was really into it too. He said that it can put a lot of stress on a relationship if they don't and he has seen some guys as examples. How much truth is there to this in your opinions? At first I thought he was just kinda bsing but he wasnt.

I trial some. My husband isn't interested in dogs or trials. Sitting in a field chewing the fat isn't his idea of fun. :) It takes me away about 6 weekends in the spring and 6 in the fall. ( Mostly spending my time with men. )Occasionally he comes to a Championship and takes pics.

He understands and doesn't complain. We've been married 40 years. His interest is photography which takes him away off and on.We believe in letting eachother pursue our interests.
It's a give and take thing plus trust. If we were newly wed or maybe married under 7 years I can see where he might resent it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:30 am

Sharon wrote:It takes me away about 6 weekends in the spring and 6 in the fall. ( Mostly spending my time with men. )
Call me an old-fashioned husband, but that alone would make me come along most of the time to "protect my interests." And we have been together 21 years. Maybe in another 10 or 20 it would be "go knock yourself out." :)

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:15 am

rizz1 wrote:i wish mtlee would comment on this one. or a least give the story of his first trial with his girl friend. if she made it through the conditions there matt she is pretty strong
Rizz, been out of town all weekend. I agree, she did very well. She's not really the outdoors type girl to begin with, so I was very surprised. I figured she'd be complaining within the first hour :lol: But, she was a good sport about everything (including the camping out in 40 degree weather w/ a VERY small blanket, a terrible air mattress, and yours truly). She loves dogs and I actually think she kind of enjoyed it a little. She offered to come with me and I figured it would be her 1st and last time time, but she told me she'd come again.....just not to a 2 day event! I definitely think being into dogs can be hard on a relationship, it's definitely one of the biggest contributing factors to why my ex is well, my EX. This one seems to understand the dogs and hunting a lot more, but then again the previous one was a Yankee :roll: Gotta love Southern girls!!

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:44 am

Yes, if you come to love the sport to the level where you just HATE to see the trial season end, get to Christmas and can't wait for the first Spring trial to be posted, and spend your every free moment dreaming of the Derby season, the breaking time and the National Championship you hope to someday participate in, then it has become not only your obession, your latest passion it has become your lifestyle. You will have made all the other plans in your life around the event schedule, you will have contemplated missing important family holidays to run your dog ( and in my case I pissed off my Mother, my sister, my Father, my best friend and all of my inlaws when I chose a field trial over Easter brunch with my Derby dog...and they will ALL still throw it at me even now, 10 years later) and you will have worked your family vacation time into slots of the year when you wouldn't be "missing anything" :roll:

In my case, my ex attended that fateful Easter trial with me but he did not volunteer to do it again til I had one foot out the door of our relationship 9 years later. By that time it was too late.

I found that that while I loved him dearly I was lonesome in the pursuit of my dreams. I lacked a partner, I lacked an understanding sounding board, and I lacked my best friend to share the journey with because he just did not "get it", nor did he wish to try. It is a much more enjoyable experience if you can do it with someone who really enjoys it too.

I left my EX the house, the cat, MY 55 Chevy Classic and the truck and took the ATV, the 2 horses, all 4 dogs and the horse trailer and said "Adios Amigo, life is calling".

I'm now married to my greatest love, my best friend, partner in all things and of course he is a pro dog trainer :wink:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:52 am

I tell you what I have dealt with, I am only 30 and have never been in any kind of rush to get married, BUT I figure I am getting to the point it might be time to settle down. I dont trial (would love to just havent got started yet) I just train my own dogs and hunt as much as possible, I cant even get a girl to stick aroung through a bird season, and in the off season I get the old you spend more time with your dogs than me, or you love your dogs more than you love me BLAH BLAH BLAH. I dont know what the heck I am going to do. It could be just me and the dogs for awhile, oh well sooner or later I will find some girl who doesnt mind crap on her boots and it might take me awhile but I will eventually wear her down. hahahaha

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:01 am

I cant even get a girl to stick aroung through a bird season, and in the off season I get the old you spend more time with your dogs than me, or you love your dogs more than you love me BLAH BLAH BLAH
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Time to maybe join a regional club or something so you can find a like-minded girl, huh? Hubbie, who was in your very same boat :roll: found me at an AKC Judging Seminar...... :wink:

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:43 pm

WOW does this topic hit home.

I was in the same boat as ACOOPER. I was more interested in hunting, bird dogs and fishing to settle down. I was 30 when I was married. I dated my wife for about a year before I proposed. She had lots of adjustments. My wife and her 3 year old boy moved in with me 2 bird dogs and and english setter. I can't say it was an easy transition as I was a bit set in my ways so my folks say. It took awhile for the dogs to adjust to her little boy and him to them. Initially all the dogs slept in the house with me.....well that slowly changed to kennels in the house in then the garage. During this time I had one dog at a trainer and I was raising quail and pigeons at the house. We had a few set too's over it all but we compromised very well. It was hard for her to see why I was spending so much time and money on my hobby.

But in due time we had it worked out. We were married a year after our engagement. We have bought 5 acres built a nice house with kennnels being under construction currently. We have a nice pigeon loft. Her son is my buddy and training partner. I have involved him in the local 4H pigeon club. He is now 8, duck and bird hunts with me every time I go. The dogs are still outside but their kennel is nicer than some folks houses. It has a cooler, an acre fenced etc etc. My wife doesnt like hunting as much as us boys do but she loves to hike and watch the dogs do their business and she really enjoys their company.

We have been married a relatively short time, 3 years but we compromise. I know that I couldnt commit to being on the circuit running dogs every weekend. But we save up and send dogs with a pro and go to all the local trials we can. My wife doesnt always attend but she is cool with me going. I think the key for me was compromise but yet let her know how important my dogs are to me. I realized just how important they were to her when one was bitten by a rattler. She gave that dog all of her spare time.

As for finding a girl with interests in dogs and keeping her through the hunting season..... GOOD LUCK. I can give you the number of several that won't stand for it. It took me a long time to get over that hurdle. I am sure it is the same with some of you ladies out there that enjoy the dogs. HMMMM maybe Grant needs a dating section! LOL

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Helen..I know that one also except for I didn't have my horse anymore
I took the truck the trailer and all the dogs left him the house and the cat
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Scott said

I have involved him in the local 4H pigeon club
Scott, Do you have any info about the program you could send me? I have been interested in getting something started here but there doesn't seem to be anything I can find.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:49 pm

gar-dog wrote:
Sharon wrote:It takes me away about 6 weekends in the spring and 6 in the fall. ( Mostly spending my time with men. )
Call me an old-fashioned husband, but that alone would make me come along most of the time to "protect my interests." And we have been together 21 years. Maybe in another 10 or 20 it would be "go knock yourself out." :)

LOL LOL I enjoy it very much! Safe flirting. At 62 I don't have the energy for an affair. LOL ( Plus they all smell like manure.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:52 pm

ACooper, how about using Scope and getting a decent haircut? :lol:
big steve

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:57 pm

Steve that is darn good advice, maybe the dogs are just an excuse for them because I look like sasquatch. Ha ha ha

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:16 am

Bigsteve, ha! that gave me a chuckle.
This is a good topic. I've been married 8 years. My wife still gets p.o'd at me sometimes about me spending time with my dogs. It's not that she wants me to spend time with her, but more time with our kids. I try to compromise the best I can. I don't run dogs as often as I used to. Our kids are 5 yrs old and 3 years old. So, they are just now getting to an age that they will go with me to work dogs. They enjoy it, but lose patience fairly quick.
I still go to field trials some, but I have a feeling that may be slowing some. My kids will probably want to try some sports like baseball or basketball. Field trials are important to me. I love them. But, some things are more important. If my kid is playing ball on a Saturday morning, I'll be there to support them. However, if there's a big trial I would like to make, I'll probably do my best to make that happen too.

I guess it's just a little give and take. I wish my wife enjoyed field trials more. I do think it would make it a lot easier. But, then again, it could make it a lot harder :lol:
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:28 am

Well I am just getting started and the whole hunting dog thing has strained us a bit as it is, without even considering the field trials which I am starting to get into. I just try to steal time when I can to pursue my interests. Weekends are full of dance class, karate, hockey, and church group for the kids. Weekdays I am generally gone from home 12-13 hours each day. Sometimes i just feel like a slave, and never have time for me. So I am just patient, because in what will seem like a blink of the eye the kids will be gone. So I sneak off when I can, and otherwise dutifully and with joy tie hockey skates, carpool kids around, and take my little girl with me to the gun store, on the way to Toys R Us.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:29 am

i dont seem to know what the problem is when I look this good!!!!! ahahaha

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:54 am

That is hilariouse!

I have to give the view point of a wife on here. don't roll the eyes.

My husband and I didn't get into hunting til after we were married. I couldn't imagine anyone else to spend the day with in the field. I feel lost if he isn't with me out in the field. We haven't gotten into trialing yet. Probably will some in the future.

But we do dock jumping with our 4 soon to be 5 dog pack and it takes a lot of patience and communication on both person's parts to get through a weekend. Along with the dogs we bring our almost 2 year old son. So we have to be able to love the sport, eachother, our kid and the dogs enough to get through the weekends with out taking eachothers heads off!

I wouldn't trade it for the world! No better place to be than with my family and dogs! Wish I could figure out a way for it to be that way all the time not just on weekends.

Good luck guys in finding that special person. All it took for us is getting to see one of our dogs work and we were hooked!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 am

Might add some Clearasil to my previous recommendations. :lol:
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:34 am

Steve,

I don't think he is eating Diamond.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Ezzy, At least, he's not eating the Natural. Probably all that "corn" in there! :lol:
big steve

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Is it not obvious that I eat diamond extreme athlete?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Is that really you? i don't want to say anything until i know. :)

HMiller

Post by HMiller » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Okay, so I'll first tell you that I started to respond to this post and quickly realized Doug was still logged in... that would have been entertaining for some of you... :)

I think this post is pretty interesting... a while back when we first started talking about getting our GSP my husband was all into it and told me about all of the things we would start doing with the pup... I used to laugh and say, "yeah right." Well.... after a few trips out to the range to shoot skeet I quickly became hooked on the shooting/hunting aspect and couldn't wait to get our pup... The pup came in June, we bought a camper and have gone to several training weekends and camped out with friends... picture this: two couples, 2 GSP puppies (approximately 5 months old) and a 2 year old GSP... all in one camper... at some point during the night all three dogs were in bed with each of us and then they all ended up on a bed together... it's definitely been an experience, but I wouldn't trade it for the world! And we keep getting in deeper and deeper... we'll eventually get into field trialing, but we have a little bit of time before that... NAVHDA and AKC hunt tests are keeping us busy for now...

Clearly it's the dogs' bed...
Miller's Mischievous Maebyn VDHimmel JH

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Sharon wrote:Is that really you? i don't want to say anything until i know. :)

Oh yeah Sharon that is me, why are you interested now that you have seen the goods?

Just kidding, My tan isnt that good.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Sorry . At 62 I'm too old for you. :)

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:01 pm

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

i saw a banner on shotgunworld for http://www.outdoorpersonals.com I guess it's a matchmaking service for us rednecks!

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Here you go, here's another one that is kinda like myspace for outdoors minded:
http://www.camospace.com/
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:36 am

Joe Dirt? SWMM (Single White Mullet Male). Glad I'm taken.........or it would be so tempting. :lol:

I think this is like any other bargaining point in a relationship. Being we built a house together and work together, there've been some ugly moments in our 14 years. Compromise (on both sides) and move on. I'm lucky to be with a dog lover/hunter, with 2 fur kids. We do all our field training together and he won't go bird hunting without me.

One of those ugly moments was when our pup got started on duck searches and retrieves (for NAVHDA) and I said how about we try some duck hunting. I was then told it would be too expensive for decoys, chokes, etc. I laughed (that's how you get after 14 years :lol: ) and brought up the 4 deer stands we own and all that equipment. So in the end, I was politely told that I could go duck hunt with someone else. Granted, he was serious and he genuinely doesn't care if I find someone to tag along with, and I can appreciate that. But I've gotten some mileage out of that one. During dinner at a recent dog event, the conversation was perfect and I slipped that in. All the guy's mouths dropped and they said "You've got to be kidding me. First off you're going to let her go hunting by herself with another guy, and secondly, it would be automatic permission to buy more stuff and spend more time hunting." He's inmoveable so far on duck hunting........but I'll keep working on him. :twisted:

I can't count how many times I've been at a training day or test, been the only female there, and had a group of guys talking about how they wish their wives would participate too. It's sad to hear that ................... Denise

Blue Dawn Kennel

Post by Blue Dawn Kennel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:09 am

When I met my husband almost 19 yrs. ago who was a professional dog trainer I loved the horses (had had them all my life but had had only ridden a gaited horse a couple times) and loved dogs and going hunting. We've had plenty of good knock down drag outs but I love this game, I couldn't imagine not doing this (I did go to work for AKC for 6-7 months as a field rep.(I did enjoy the job as well but husband wouldn't slow down and made me quit) and did get to go and ride @ field trials but it just wasn't the same as me getting to go all out on my horse to find that dog or even to get to handle). I'd say I'm a probably a better scout than handler and either way it's a blast and I wouldn't change anything (even all the arguments) for the world.
I am an avid diehard TWH/MFT lover. I always have a bunch of horses and some I'm getting ready to get. As far as GSP's I have my share of them, I have a FC male BDK's Tobadforu "Tobad", I have Ivy, Jewel,Freddy, Kassie for my breeding females, and then have 4 young males (looking for serious clients/owners for the boys). I just sold two of my 3-4 yr. old girls Toby & Tori who went to live in south Texas to be truck hunting dogs with some of their other past kennelmates.
Finding the right person is all it takes, now if you end up having a family that will change things I'm sure. Keith & I have never had any children so we're pretty free to travel and do what we have to do with campaigning a string of shorthairs.
She's out there somewhere, just have faith. :D

Robbi
BDK'S Kessie's Sin City Casino~http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1270
BDK's All That Jazz~ http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=5853
BDK's Try Your Luck~ http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=5854
"Home of 60 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES (wins & runner ups) & Many Many Field Champions"

nrcgsp

Post by nrcgsp » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:10 am

It does help to have someone who shares in the joy! My husband and I both love the sport (and are great friends with Keith and Robbi and several other fellow trialers!) There are times that only he gets to go or only I get to go due to work, etc. and trials that take place during the week. We have two kids a 9 and 5 year old, who are starting to ride our older twh that have tons of trial experience, and will start to travel with us some once they are more stable on the horses.
The only problem we have is I sometimes like to have "too many" dogs as he says, haha :roll: :lol:
It is a great s port to enjoy together and with great friends!
Home of: NFC/FC/RegCh/NRC'S Magnum's Touch of Gold(We miss you Magnum);
NSDC/FC/Reg. R-upSlick Kessie Joe; http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=598

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:33 pm

[quote="Blue Dawn Kennel"]When I met my husband almost 19 yrs. ago who was a professional dog trainer I loved the horses (had had them all my life but had had only ridden a gaited horse a couple times) and loved dogs and going hunting. We've had plenty of good knock down drag outs but I love this game, I couldn't imagine not doing this (I did go to work for AKC for 6-7 months as a field rep.(I did enjoy the job as well but husband wouldn't slow down and made me quit) and did get to go and ride @ field trials but it just wasn't the same as me getting to go all out on my horse to find that dog or even to get to handle). I'd say I'm a probably a better scout than handler and either way it's a blast and I wouldn't change anything (even all the arguments) for the world.
I am an avid diehard TWH/MFT lover. I always have a bunch of horses and some I'm getting ready to get. As far as GSP's I have my share of them, I have a FC male BDK's Tobadforu "Tobad", I have Ivy, Jewel,Freddy, Kassie for my breeding females, and then have 4 young males (looking for serious clients/owners for the boys). I just sold two of my 3-4 yr. old girls Toby & Tori who went to live in south Texas to be truck hunting dogs with some of their other past kennelmates.
Finding the right person is all it takes, now if you end up having a family that will change things I'm sure. Keith & I have never had any children so we're pretty free to travel and do what we have to do with campaigning a string of shorthairs. quote
................................................................................................

'Did I ever tell you , you were my hero?"
Remember that song? :)

Kansas is a long ways from Ontario, Canada but not far in memories.
When I first started out trialing, a GSP from your lineage was my first dog. ...."BMK's Call to Glory" was the dam out of Spitfire and Wild Child" . I followed every thing you and your dogs did - every trial, every GSPCA Championship. I so admired what you had done for GSPs.
What a dog for a beginner! (That dog did well in Region 13 trials until a tragedy befell.)

Thank you!

Image "Cordova's Curious George"

edondero

Post by edondero » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:06 pm

I doubt I would be dating my boyfriend if it wasnt for the dogs. It was an easy pick up line to use on me. (honey, I love you for many reasons, but the fact you love my dog reaaaally helps)

Ever since those first few trips to the dog park or hiking the woods with my Lacey, its been 2 years; maaaany road trips to West Virginia for training, hunt tests, camping, training in SC, another puppy, new friends, since then.
It has brought us together for sure, but occassionally creates some tension. Dog training philosophy is like politics, its not to be discussed and we don't tell each other's dogs what to do.

my loves

rizz1

Post by rizz1 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:19 pm

edondero wrote:I doubt I would be dating my boyfriend if it wasnt for the dogs. It was an easy pick up line to use on me. (honey, I love you for many reasons, but the fact you love my dog reaaaally helps)

Ever since those first few trips to the dog park or hiking the woods with my Lacey, its been 2 years; maaaany road trips to West Virginia for training, hunt tests, camping, training in SC, another puppy, new friends, since then.
It has brought us together for sure, but occassionally creates some tension. Dog training philosophy is like politics, its not to be discussed and we don't tell each other's dogs what to do.

my loves

ahhhhhhh isnt that sweet

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:23 am

I just wish I had a place to go down town or somewhere to sit outside and eat a meal and be able to bring the dogs with! I am jelouse!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

edondero

Post by edondero » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:41 pm

moose, when i open my own bar you can bring your dogs, all of them, right on in. and i think i'll even give bird dogs a discount.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:57 pm

mtlee wrote:
rizz1 wrote:i wish mtlee would comment on this one. or a least give the story of his first trial with his girl friend. if she made it through the conditions there matt she is pretty strong
I definitely think being into dogs can be hard on a relationship, it's definitely one of the biggest contributing factors to why my ex is well, my EX. This one seems to understand the dogs and hunting a lot more, but then again the previous one was a Yankee :roll: Gotta love Southern girls!!
Hey now don't discount all Yankee girls! I'm a Yankee and proud of it. LOL I'm more of a dog and horse person and a hunter than my husband! And he's from TEXAS!!!!

My husband and I work it out. Yeah he gripes sometimes about my being gone but I think that he sees that I have a real passion for working with the dogs and trying to get them to be the best that they can be. LOL Been there done that for being gone for Easter dinner. My mother is the one who keeps reminding me of that. It also helps that my husband has quite an interest in flying. I got my pilot's license because of him. I don't stop him from his hobby so it works out for us.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:57 pm

edondero wrote:moose, when i open my own bar you can bring your dogs, all of them, right on in. and i think i'll even give bird dogs a discount.
Em be careful posting mug shots like that around here. Never know who might be looking for J. You know opening a bar would not be a money making venture when your two biggest customers would be your lowest paying customers. :D Trust me I know. The garage is not a source of income for me, but it does make a nice place to relax.