Keeping quail question

mm

Keeping quail question

Post by mm » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:31 am

I have 2 seperate cages with quail. I have my old guys that I got eggs from all season and hatched and I have a cage of new guys. I also have some guys in the brooder. Its just a few I have 4 old guys , 3 new guys and 6 in the brooder. I want to keep all of these guys over the winter. The 2 cages can be combined into one big cage and there would be room for them all as I have had up to 25 in there in the past with no problem. The new problem is when I tried to combine the 4 and the 3 they started to fight and peck each other in the head. There were actually 5 and 3 but one guy got killed in this dust up and I split them up. This was at the time when they were still laying eggs. I also have 1 male in each group and the rest are hens. Is there a way I can combine all of these birds in one cage without them fighting? I think they would be better off togther in a group for the winter.
mm

Meller

Re: Keeping quail question

Post by Meller » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:16 am

I had this same problem, I had to put them in a neutral cage ( pen none of the birds had been in) for a few days then returned them to the cage I wanted them in, so far no problem's. Hope this helps you.

mm

Post by mm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 am

Thanks I will give that a try.
mm

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 am

A little different subject on quail. I read a post elsewhere about raising quail for release that I thought was interesting. He claims that if the birds have access to a dusting area they will learn to preen and oil their feathers. I have never raised any quail but for some reason this has stuck with me to try if I do.
Dіck