How to stop digging?

grant
GDF Junkie

How to stop digging?

Post by grant » Tue May 04, 2004 8:59 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my dogs from digging up the yard?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue May 04, 2004 9:09 pm

Grant, get a pooper scooper and pickup poop and put it in all the places they start on. It won`t stop the new places but it seems to discourage the behavior.
brenda

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Wed May 05, 2004 11:42 am

Mouse trap....they work great for those counter surfers as well. just but a regular mouse trap in the hole with nothing on it and it will discourage them from digging in that hole and like all things they sooner or later get weary of digging in fear of that snap. for those who may disagree, the digger rarely will get the brunt of the traps swing. my GSP bitch was digging in our yard and dug up a lil piece of glass that led to a nasty cut on her right foreleg. it required several stitches and two years off my life. so the mouse traps have been used. she stopped for about 6 or so months and now requires some re-training but it works. the pain from a mouse trap is far less than that of the possible damage from a root or buried debris. IMHO

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed May 19, 2004 8:16 am

I did the poop in the hole thing, and it worked like a charm =)

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:01 pm

Hi all, just a quick note, I tried to poop method and it works. My GSP bitch, Krickett, :x had actually dug under and out the privacy fence taking the Weim with her. This left me in a bind, due to the weather i was unable to fill the hole. I just dropped a big stinky in the whole and no more digging there and no more escaping girls. THANKS

msparks

Post by msparks » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:12 am

Another option, shock collar. Put it on and wait for them to start digging. Hit it, I'm sure it won't take long for them to get the hint.

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:07 pm

Pouring ammonia in the hole will also work. But as with the poop, it only works on existing holes.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:47 am

question, this seems to be great for stopping digging, but what if the problem is that they won't stop pooping in a certain area. my in-laws sprayed some "dog deterrent" of some sort the other day to stop the dogs from using the bathroom in this certain place (RIGHT next to the swimming pool!!! yuck!!), and i could not help but laugh when both dogs went right over and peed on it!!! :roll: i hate to say this, but it looks like we might have to install an underground fence around the area. any other suggestions before we go this route?
sudie

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:59 pm

Thats weird. My three dogs have almost and acre for a back yard but insist on crapping just off the back porch. its really funny if you think about. well atleast its not so far to walk to clean up the do!