Crate Size

loomisfun

Crate Size

Post by loomisfun » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:08 am

I currently have my pup in a "toy" sized crate. She is growing fast and I will need a new Vari-Kennel soon. I don't want to get one that is too big. What size crate do you all recommend for an American Brittany. I do not expect her to be above the breed standard in either weight or height. I think a large size will be too big and have been leaning towards the intemediate size. Any suggestions on the size?

Thanks,
Loomisfun

gar-dog

Re: Crate Size

Post by gar-dog » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:50 am

My Brittany is 30-32lbs and I think she has the intermediate vari-kennel we use for the car. It is just a tad small.... maybe....probably just fine, really. We have a larger wire indoor crate for her sleeping - just a little longer. If your pup is not house-trained yet, you can block off part of the larger crate with the "toy" crate (ours was a cat crate) to keep it sized right until it is fully house-trained.

If you have $250 to spend Orvis has a beautiful furniture piece - end table - that is actually a crate with a hinged door. Really nice.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:57 am

This one Gary? http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoic ... t_id=15471

Man, my puppy would have eaten right through that thing (She loves coffee tables :twisted: )

Nice but the latch is a little dinky.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 am

yep, that's it. Mine wouldn't eat through it now, but would have at 3-4 months.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 am

If the crate is for the house, just go for the medium or large sized "life stages" crate that comes with a separator so you can use it forever.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:30 pm

My britts are at the top of standard and fit rather well in a varikennel of W15xL24xH20.
I would suggest looking at your locat thrift store first as a used one should only cost about $10.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 am

mine is 45 lbs, and i believe we have the intermediate size kennel which is the perfect size for him, I can measure the ones we have if you really would like to know.

as far as buying them, i've bought both mine off craigslist for great deals. Found 1 person who bought it brand new just to transfer the dog on one cross country road trip when they moved. 2nd person was no longer crating their dog. You can find steals if you're patient. Also, the one I have fits perfectly in the backseat of my pickup, but I have a 4 door cab. My seats go all the way back and he's perfect back there.

loomisfun

Post by loomisfun » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. It is exactly what I needed.

I always forget about Craig's List and will have to check it out.

Loomisfun

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:04 pm

I don't know to much about Britts and there natural crate attitude.. But I just get one that's a little to big, If you need one to fit in a smaller car than thats ok to I guess. I've never had a problem with them going to the bathroom in the crate, and it looks a little more comfortable to me. If i was a den animal I know id want a big one! :lol:

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 am

craigslist is a great tool if you are patient. so far 1 brand new (used once) medium kennel = $20, 1 lightly used TT bark limiter = $35, 1 NIB TT bark limiter = $50. i still have a few more items to get before my new pup arrives and will be scavenging craigslist until then.