boarding in pa/nj

tmoneysju

boarding in pa/nj

Post by tmoneysju » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:06 am

So the wife and I are going away for our first extended amount of time away from the dog. As much as we'd like to avoid putting him in a boarding kennel, I just don't think we can. Does anyone in the Philadelphia or NJ area have any suggestions for places? What also makes it tough is that he's not neutered so he's not allowed to do a lot of the group play activites where they let the dogs out to run/play for a few hours a day. Just curious what people's thoughts/experiences are.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: boarding in pa/nj

Post by Karen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:11 am

Longview Kennels in Slatington, PA
http://www.longviewkennels.com
Pete keeps an absolute pristine kennel, heated, air conditioned, and has a play yard. You'll find half his runs occupied by Brittanys year round (training business)....3 of mine are there now.

Hope's Kennel in Blairstown, NJ
http://www.hopeskennels.com
Doug is the same. His family has been in Brittanys forever, Doug breeds some of the top show Brittanys in the country, his parents are avid field trialers and have more dual titled Brittanys than any other single owner, and the kennel is amazing, radiant heated floors, a/c, nice big play yard. If you go there, have your dog groomed before you bring him home. Doug does an AMAZING job.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks Karen, I called Longview and they sounded pretty good. I like the idea of boarding my dog at a place that is like-minded. We'll probably take a ride up and check them out just to be sure.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:26 pm

FYI-
his parents are avid field trialers and have more dual titled Brittanys than any other single owner
Actually, in looking up the information, while the Tighe's accomplishments in the Brittany world are impressive, they have been the owner and or breeder of record of 8 Dual Champions so far in their career. The Crawfords (J & M Brittanys) in TX hold the record for the most DCs bred and owned with their record at 12 so far, seconded only by the Sequani line of Brittanys to date. The Autens come in at a close third I believe.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:54 pm

OMG Helen, you went back and counted every Brittany dual champion since the beginning of time just to see if you could prove me wrong, didn't you! Glad you have that much time on your hands. :D :D

Who has bred the most DC's to date?

tmoneysju, I'm sure you'll really like Longview.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:58 pm

just to see if you could prove me wrong, didn't you!
Actually no, I didn't. Sorry to disappoint you. It was a topic of discussion I had with Carol Auten and Jim Crawford not too long ago :wink: I just happened to remember the stats as they are clearly very, very impressive and both of them are extremely humble about their dedication and accomplishments.

I'm not sure who has bred the most DCs to date...I'm thinking maybe it might be the Crawfords again BUT that little project would take a good deal of time to dig up the info. Maybe on the the next rainy day I'll endeavor to find out for you :wink: :wink:

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:02 pm

Ann Marie does some occassional informal boarding if it fits her schedule. The dogs live as her own do - house, backyard, kiddie pool, and kennel. She is in Jackson, NJ. You know who she is, right?

Also, while it would be a bit of a haul, Britthaven Kennels in northern NJ does boarding. My neighbors have had good experience there.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:50 am

Kiki's Mom wrote:FYI-
his parents are avid field trialers and have more dual titled Brittanys than any other single owner
Actually, in looking up the information, while the Tighe's accomplishments in the Brittany world are impressive, they have been the owner and or breeder of record of 8 Dual Champions so far in their career. The Crawfords (J & M Brittanys) in TX hold the record for the most DCs bred and owned with their record at 12 so far, seconded only by the Sequani line of Brittanys to date. The Autens come in at a close third I believe.
that's great, but do either of them have a kennel in pa or nj where i could board my dog?

:lol:

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:51 am

gar-dog wrote:Ann Marie does some occassional informal boarding if it fits her schedule. The dogs live as her own do - house, backyard, kiddie pool, and kennel. She is in Jackson, NJ. You know who she is, right?

Also, while it would be a bit of a haul, Britthaven Kennels in northern NJ does boarding. My neighbors have had good experience there.
i do know who she is but I have never met her. If you know how to contact her, send me a pm.

Thanks guys

fuess

Post by fuess » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:56 am

Therer is a kennel much closer to you in Malvern. Not far from Rt 30 and 352. I think it is called Karens. Thye have an outdoor run and kept very well.

If you are willing to make the drive, Pete will take great care of you up at Longview. Just a matter of your schedule.

Al the best,

Fuess

jstead

Post by jstead » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:02 am

I've used Best Friends in Maple Shade NJ on Rt 73 not far over the Tacony Palmyra Bridge. My pointer is a day care guy - they have an exercise yard and he gets 1/2 hr a day to wear a path near the fence. He loves it there, but he loves it anywhere out of cold water. You do have to pay extra for exercise when boarding overnight.

If your dog likes young ladies it's well worth a try. Mine whines when we pass by to go to the English Setter Club.

Tell them Gus-Gus sent you.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 am

jstead wrote:
If your dog likes young ladies it's well worth a try.

Tell them Gus-Gus sent you.
are you referring to the hired help or the other day care doggie children? haha

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Tmoneysju,

Depending on the amount of time you plan to be away, you might consider sending Tucker for a month (or two, or three) of training with Pete at Longview Kennels. It can be cheaper to get a month of the best professional training money can buy than to board for 2.5 weeks. Just beware, Pete's Kennel fills up quickly so book early.

Brent