How hot is too hot?

ab576

How hot is too hot?

Post by ab576 » Sat May 01, 2004 9:06 pm

It's coming up on spring then the heat turns on. What are you gonna do for your best friend?

emae

Post by emae » Sun May 02, 2004 11:07 am

I take ours swimming almost everyday. We are in high humidity, extreme heat in Texas and don't think she could make it any other way during our summers. I have a friend who lives on the river and lets me run her there. At home shes free to go in and out as she pleases w/the dog door. I use the term "extreme" heat as we are not originally from here and can barely stand the heat ourselves and hope to move back north soon.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sun May 02, 2004 1:57 pm

I set out the 5' kiddie pool and let them go in at their leisure. Every week I change the water for them.

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Mon May 03, 2004 6:02 am

You can actually keep water in the pool? I never have to worry changing the water I just refill it everyday. They love to dig in the pool and the water goes everywhere. Its really hilarous to watch them.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Mon May 03, 2004 6:17 am

You're right, it is very hilarious to watch them in there. I've got one guy here that will spend an endless amount of time with the hose...whether the water's spraying out of it or not...

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon May 03, 2004 2:46 pm

I need to do something for my crew before it gets to hot. I like the pool idea...

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon May 03, 2004 8:39 pm

Water is you dogs best freind in the heat! Just be sure that it's kept in a shady area, if it's setting in the sun, your pool (at least in our part of the country) turns into a frog boil! CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

raven

Post by raven » Tue May 04, 2004 6:03 am

My dog loves water also he will spend time swing alot in the summer as far as training if it to hot and humid training takes plase early in the morning or late in the evening when not to hot plus when it gets to humid senting is terrible

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Wed May 05, 2004 11:53 am

here's a thought. the NFl use these big honkin fans with a mist of water to cool off those boys during a game. some grocery stores use a mist to keep the veggies hydrated. i am thinking that if your dog is kenneled during the day maybe an overhead mist thingy that would be on a timer or activated by a motion or infrared pickup. i may prusue this and fabricate a mock up. would anyone be interested in lending mental help on this project? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Wireviz_lady

heat

Post by Wireviz_lady » Wed May 05, 2004 8:47 pm

It wont get to bad up here in WI for a while but I already have the pool out of the viz. Last year I actually bought a $90 "pond" and set it in the ground with a little landscaping around it. It is deeper than the kiddie pools and if you have a digger like my Grace you wont have to replace it because of holes.
Bec

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed May 05, 2004 8:52 pm

Cool! Thats a good idea!

Wireviz_lady

couldnt get pic to work

Post by Wireviz_lady » Wed May 05, 2004 9:28 pm

couldnt the pic of grace in the pool to post so I put in the photo album.
Bec

peaceflmeadow

Post by peaceflmeadow » Thu May 06, 2004 6:51 pm

When we lived in Louisiana I worked for an Akita Breeder, and we set up misters in all the kennels. They loved them. Ran them high along the kennels to they couldn't chew them. They really lowered the temp in the kennels when they were running.