K-9 Kondos

muddycreek

K-9 Kondos

Post by muddycreek » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:36 am

Anyone use K-9 Kondo's for their dogs? I am strongly considering getting a pair with the arrival of a new puppy. Are they as chewproof as they claim? Any other +/-? I also like the Dog Dens but they are about double the price.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: K-9 Kondos

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:30 am

I don't have the K-9 version of the Kondo, but what I did do is I have cut out a hole in the end of a blue barrel, and made a stand for it out of 2in. pvc, not rot or chewing there, and it has held up really nice. Now I have just had that setup for a few months when I redid my kennels, but I love the whole setup, so you may be able to save yourself quite a bit of cash by building it yourself. The onlt thing I do not have is the door on the end or the top on the barrel as it is a launching platform for a dog who jumps out of the kennel, until I get my roof on the kennels.

Chip

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:42 am

The Kondo is really pretty chew proof. The dens on the other hand and not as good. I have a little female that figured how to get the roof off of one of the dens. She has chewed and ruined the top edge of the den enough the roof will not go back on.

Prairie Drifter

Post by Prairie Drifter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:20 am

I've got a friend that provide both a K9 Kondo and a wood house for his dogs in the same pen. The dogs never use the wood house. They are easy to clean, the doors make them very versatile, and they should last for years and years. I, personally, would not put them in the pen with the dog. I would position them outside the pen and leave off the flat top.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:44 am

I bought 6 of them last Nov. and couldn't be more happy. The only thing that my dogs have chewed on was the lip of the barrel itself. Easy to clean inside and out. The only problem was I had a young dog stick her head in and pull back out therefore getting stuck and scared the heck out of her. She will not use it if the door is in down position. I am going to work with her this fall to see if I can get her to overcome her fear of it. I plan on adding more when I have some extra cash. Allow about 1 1/2 hrs min. to put one together. The first one took me about 2 hrs before it was complete. A cordless drill with a clutch is a huge time saver. I preassembled all the frames and doors in my living room with the kids and the next day started in the garage with putting the stuff on the barrels. Did one a night at about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. I did not install the sun deck on them, As I figured that it would get the corners chewed and crap tracked on it not being easy to clean.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:02 am

I have four K9 Kondos in my kennel, In my book its the only way to go, also I think that mine will last a long time under roof.- I also dont use the platforms.----Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:37 am

Well, I thought my guys were the only ones who could get the roofs off of the dog den. :roll: But apparently not. Two of mine can get the roofs off. They don't chew it, but it gets wet and the brackets are bent, now, so it is especially easy for them to get them off now. I have a great big rock on top, but they sometime knock that off too, & one day it's going to squish one of them. They love the warmth, but if I had barrels I think I would try the K-9 condo next time. STill have plans to build my own some day...

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:43 pm

phillipsgsp wrote:I bought 6 of them last Nov. and couldn't be more happy. The only thing that my dogs have chewed on was the lip of the barrel itself. Easy to clean inside and out. The only problem was I had a young dog stick her head in and pull back out therefore getting stuck and scared the heck out of her. She will not use it if the door is in down position. I am going to work with her this fall to see if I can get her to overcome her fear of it. I plan on adding more when I have some extra cash. Allow about 1 1/2 hrs min. to put one together. The first one took me about 2 hrs before it was complete. A cordless drill with a clutch is a huge time saver. I preassembled all the frames and doors in my living room with the kids and the next day started in the garage with putting the stuff on the barrels. Did one a night at about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. I did not install the sun deck on them, As I figured that it would get the corners chewed and crap tracked on it not being easy to clean.

Chad
Both of mine got there heads stuck in them when the doors were in the down position and now neither will not go in them if the doors are down. If i put them in them with the doors down neither will come out, they will sitt in there till i come push open the door for them..goofballs.

I need to work with them on it as i think they would enjoy the doors being down come this winter when the temp drops. As far as being chew proof and easy to clean i think they are excellent, i drilled some holes in the bottom of the barrel so when i clean them i can just dump the hay out and then hose them out, works great.

I do wish there was more of a bottom lip on the door as you cant put much bedding in them without the door getting stuck. I figure it took me about two hours to get one of them put together.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. i was concerned about 2 things, one the door and a head or foot getting trapped and secondly the lack of a real lip to hold in bedding. I live in a subdivision and think my neighbors would prefer the Dog Den but I really like the simplicity and price of the Kondo.