Weimaraner vs. Viszla

Gridiron and Grouse

Weimaraner vs. Viszla

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:47 pm

After a long wait my fiance and I are finally ready for a puppy. We've narrowed it down to a Weim and a Viszla. I grew up with a Weim and it was a great dog. I am aware that it is much harder to track down a weim or V with good hunting instincts as compared to a gsp or pointer.

I'm very interested to hear what is similar and different between the 2 breeds. Our dog would be kept inside and live with us as a member of the family. However, I would also like to find a dog with good hunting instincts. Any insight on either breed would be great.....anyone who has had both and could compare and contrast between breeds would be amazing.

The earliest I could get a dog would be December so if you know a breeder that is expecting any litters this winter or spring I would appreciate any info you have.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Weimaraner vs. Viszla

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Similarities:
- Both are very short-haired and don't shed much
- Both are very people-oriented and get weird if they are denied their people
- Both are too good looking for their own good.

Differences:
- The Weim averages quite a bit larger than the V
- You'll have more options to chose from in top-flight hunting/trialing kennels with the V. Neither are going to be as deep in that regard as shorthairs, pointers, setters, etc.

But, a good dog is a good dog. Find a good breeder with a good litter out of a field-proven sire and dam and you'll be happy.

Greg J.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:04 pm

I've owned, trained, and loved both, and second what Greg says. Plus, I'll add the following generalizations.

Both are scary smart. The smartest, IMO, of all the pointing breeds. But their intelligence is slightly different. The V catches on quickly and has a stronger desire to please his human. He is a little more obedient and cooperative, but also a little softer and emotionally more clingy. It's not hard to mess up either breed, but the V is a little less forgiving when it comes to correction and isolation. The weim also catches on quickly, but often has a 'what's in it for me' attitude. If you don't show a weim exactly what you want, he will figure out how to do it his way. And it will be creative. You've got to have a sense of humor to own a weim. The weim will tolerate more training mistakes and seperation from his humans than the V(though not as well as the other breeds), but he will also test you more than the V.

In general, a good V will be snappier, more stylish, and farther ranging in the field. In general, a good weim will be a better retriever, swimmer and tracker. Both will be ridiculously devoted to you and both will remain playful lap dogs for life. With either breed, you will never again go to the bathroom without company :lol:

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm

A great resource to talk to about this subject would be Diane Vater. She trains and runs both breeds and has done very well with both, she also is from Pennslyvania I think, perhaps someone on here has her number? :D

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:31 pm

ymepointer wrote:A great resource to talk to about this subject would be Diane Vater. She trains and runs both breeds and has done very well with both, she also is from Pennslyvania I think, perhaps someone on here has her number? :D
Good call. Her email addy is alphadogv@aol.com We were at a field trial once, sitting by her trailer and chatting. All of the dogs were turned away from us, focused on what was going on in the field. Except the weims and vizslas. 100% of their attention was on the humans by the trailer.

I'm not sure if she is in PA anymore. She bought a place in NM (or AZ?) a few years ago. She also spends a lot of time in MI, when she's not on the road.

Another good choice would be Dan Long of OH. He also trains weims and vizslas. His addy is ckroyal@bright.net

Aline
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Similarities:
- Both are very short-haired and don't shed much
- Both are very people-oriented and get weird if they are denied their people
- Both are too good looking for their own good.

Differences:
- The Weim averages quite a bit larger than the V
- You'll have more options to chose from in top-flight hunting/trialing kennels with the V. Neither are going to be as deep in that regard as shorthairs, pointers, setters, etc.

But, a good dog is a good dog. Find a good breeder with a good litter out of a field-proven sire and dam and you'll be happy.

Greg J.

I'm sorry, but you stand corrected on not shedding much. You talk to any weim owner that keeps them in the house and they'll show you they own every hair picker upper on the market today. My brown couch looks like a giant weimy in the spring. I can't vouch for Vizla, and I dare not comment and something I'm not 100% on but Weimies do indeed shed, ALOT!!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:14 pm

I'll stand on what I've posted. I've had weims, v's and others in my house at the same time and measured the pull from their crates in my hand-vacuum which is graduated by volume. The weim had the least, the v next, my shorthair more than both and the so-called vizsla mix rescue that I was boarding had the most. It's not a statistically valid sample, but it is definitive for the specific dogs that I had in the house.

Greg J.

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:31 pm

I really appreciate the help so far. Any additional information or contacts would be greatly appreciated. The e-mail address for Dan Long did not work. Does anyone have another email for him? Thanks again.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:20 am

If it were me I'd go the Wiemer route IMO.There is a breeder by the name Bonnsetters or Bronnsetters in Sw Minnesota.Have seen a few of there dog worked very well.I'll look them up in PDJ for you.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:29 am

zzweims wrote:I've owned, trained, and loved both, and second what Greg says. Plus, I'll add the following generalizations.

Both are scary smart. The smartest, IMO, of all the pointing breeds. But their intelligence is slightly different. The V catches on quickly and has a stronger desire to please his human. He is a little more obedient and cooperative, but also a little softer and emotionally more clingy. It's not hard to mess up either breed, but the V is a little less forgiving when it comes to correction and isolation. The weim also catches on quickly, but often has a 'what's in it for me' attitude. If you don't show a weim exactly what you want, he will figure out how to do it his way. And it will be creative. You've got to have a sense of humor to own a weim. The weim will tolerate more training mistakes and seperation from his humans than the V(though not as well as the other breeds), but he will also test you more than the V.

In general, a good V will be snappier, more stylish, and farther ranging in the field. In general, a good weim will be a better retriever, swimmer and tracker. Both will be ridiculously devoted to you and both will remain playful lap dogs for life. With either breed, you will never again go to the bathroom without company :lol:

Aline
This is a pretty good generalization. I own V's, run them, and I also foster V's. I'm currently fostering a weim, and one of my good friends fosters wiems. I've helped the weim club gun for their hunt tests. I've gunned for my V club. I've been around a heckuva lot more V's then Weims.
That being said, these are the GENERALIZATIONS that I've seen.

I haven't seen a big running, stylish Weim. I know they are out there... And I would love to. Just haven't yet.
I think it would be awesome to see one. Both are great dogs though. Unfortunately, you have to be picky about with kennels you go with. If you need help on the V side, shoot me a PM.

(And I too have to disagree with the shedding.... They shed. I'll show you my truck. My bed, the carpet, the house... :) ) It's just smaller hair that they shed!

jczv

Post by jczv » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:36 am

This thread gave a pretty good list of Vizsla breeders: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... la#p121679

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:55 am

And I too have to disagree with the shedding.... They shed. I'll show you my truck. My bed, the carpet, the house... ) It's just smaller hair that they shed!
Yep they sure do shed! The little grey hairs just blend in better than other breeds. Although I think that shorthairs do shed a little bit more.

I recommend that the original poster get in touch with Mary Brown in VA. She's very active in FT's and knows what litters would be in the general area.

Aline's right about the scary smartness of Weims and about them finding ways to do things. Quite a few of mine will learn something and then try to figure out a quicker way of attaining the end results. That's one of the things that I love about them though!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:46 am

Had to make the same decision that you are making now. I went w/ the vizsla. My wife and I had babysat a few wiem's, and right or wrong, we did not like their personality at all. Which we were really surprised about.

We took a leap of faith with all of the stuff that we read about the V, and we are very happy that we did. But they do not call them the Velcro dog for nothing. I enjoy having my dog around me all of the time though.

There are a lot of good dogs on both sides, I would do a lot of research on breeders, get references, the whole bit. Then if you really want to stay in the local area, I would pick the best breeder of the two breeds. Your going to be happy with either one as long as you pick a good breeder that breeds for what you want.

brandon

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:03 am

Don't get me wrong, Weims and V's shed. But compare that to a Labrador Rug Factory and you start to appreciate where I'm coming from.

Greg J.

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Don't get me wrong, Weims and V's shed. But compare that to a Labrador Rug Factory and you start to appreciate where I'm coming from.

Greg J.
Good call!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:12 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Don't get me wrong, Weims and V's shed. But compare that to a Labrador Rug Factory and you start to appreciate where I'm coming from.

Greg J.
Yep been there done that! I had a Lab about 7 yrs. ago and I'm STILL finding some hairs from her. I never could understand how so much hair could be on the floor, on my clothes, etc and yet the dog wasn't bald!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:18 am

Cherrystone, that is a beautiful dog in your avatar. I would like to see your dogs run and hunt. I've never seen a weim so stylish on point... In fact, haven't seen one that is all that great at all. If your avatar is indictive of your weims, it would a treat to see them run...

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm

V-John wrote:Cherrystone, that is a beautiful dog in your avatar. I would like to see your dogs run and hunt. I've never seen a weim so stylish on point... In fact, haven't seen one that is all that great at all. If your avatar is indictive of your weims, it would a treat to see them run...
Thanks!

That's my little Scarlett. She was about 4 mos. old in that picture. Her sister, Windy, whom I also have is now starting to mature just like her (she's been slower to mature). I just left Scarlett with Diane Vater to field trial in Derby this season. I can't get around to as many FT as needed and Diane should do a very nice job of breaking her out. So far with me (I'm a better handler for MH than for FT!) handling her last season she placed in just about every stake she was run in. She's at #6 in Derby for Weims with the limited running that I did with her.

I've repeated the breeding and pups are due around Sept. 28th. Both parents are MH. Sire is DC/NFC/NAFC/AFC.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

brookzee

Post by brookzee » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:42 pm

there is amember on here called tenbearsviz. another from florida i have talked to about horses that have competetive v's. dan hoke has a v on his string that i saw win the open limited gundog in madras,or this may.she was a very very very nice dog.his site is www.dunfur.com
it sounds like you want a nice dog.imo, you should not hurry yourself and be open to purchasing the right FIELD bred dog no matter where you may have to pick it up or have it shipped in from.
jason

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:52 pm

I saw a VERY nice V a couple of weeks ago on Diane Vater's string. Her name is Lotto? I would take her home in a heartbeat.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Well, I only have gun dog experience with my GSP and some of the generalizations about the Viszla seem to apply to my own dog.

My "bachelor for life" friend loves to tease me about how I married a cling on wife and now he says I have the perfect matching dog. :lol:

Whoever made the "bathroom buddy" comment wasn't kidding.....hmmmmm, maybe I can train my GSP to fetch a roll of toilet paper or grab a towel for me while he's in there with me.

My vote would be for the Viszla. :mrgreen:

rydaddy

Post by rydaddy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:01 pm

I have a Vizsla, 15 month old Levi... And a couple of these posts have been dead nuts on. Scary accurate in fact. It reminds me of how well some of you on this site know your dogs. I missed last season, but am looking forward to this season. Levi and I have spent a lot of time training and are hopefully ready for what the fall brings.

Good luck guys!
Rydaddy
"Levi" Vizsla

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:19 pm

I don't know too much about weims...I do know Stan Zdon has decent weims, as mentioned above. He is in southern NJ.

As far as Vizslas....Daniel Burjan at Burjan Kennels in northern NJ and Onpoint kennels in Ontario. Both have really awesome dogs. Here is the link to Onpoint kennels:

http://www.onpointvizslas.com/
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:12 pm

If you decide on a Vizsla, also try http://www.buschvizslas.com. Lot of knowledge and great dogs. They are also looking for foster family for about two years while the family is out of the country. It might be a good trial run to see if you like the breed.

Carla