Question about lack of appetite

ken

Question about lack of appetite

Post by ken » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Howdy all! I have 5 two pups) female dogs. Up until about 3 days ago 4/5 were champion eaters. I split them all up to eat because I have 2 that chow everyones food down. What could be the cause of this? No-one seems ill, they run and run and run and then run some more, and drink and drink about the same. But, no food. They take a nibble here and there, but after about 5 minutes of no interest, I take the food away. I can't leave the food down for them to eat ad lib b/c I am not always around to take them out and I'd have a mess on my hands. Maybe I should feed them more and less at each feeding? Could it be they are sick of their food? I tried switching them a few months ago to Iams and they hated it, wouldn't eat it at all!! i don't let them roam so they are not being fed by a neighbor, plus I have none, really. What should I do? Thanks a bunch!!

doodledogs

hey ...

Post by doodledogs » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:13 pm

My brother is a vet and he says that a loss of appetite usually occurs in association with illness. Pain in the mouth or throat may also discourage a dog from eating. In a few dogs the appetite may be lost, temporaily following some psychological shock -- boarding, absence of owner, visitors, but this is usually the case when there are very very strong bonds b/w owner and dog. And, as you predicted, sometimes this occurs in a dog that is allowed to roam b/c it is being fed by neighbors or scavenging for food. Where dogs are fed in a group, the more submissive may not eat. Hope this helps.
If this is still going on, I would call your vet, he/she will most likely want to see your dog(s).

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:03 pm

You know, I really think it has to do with a lot of different things like change in weather, growth spurts, etc. We have a 4 month old and a 1 year old and it just seems to go in spurts in how they eat. Our GSP has been running like crazy and hasn't been eating as much as usually - actually hardly anything. I really think it's because of the warm weather. Just my thoughts. I wouldn't worry about it unless they start to look sickly and drop weight. Some days our weim hardly eats anything. They'll eat if they're hungry!

Caren
www.excelir.com/cloebs

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:32 am

how is your pups water intake?

Wireviz_lady

eating

Post by Wireviz_lady » Wed May 05, 2004 9:39 pm

add a TBL of Veg oil. They love it and it adds a nice shine to their coat. Pups get busy and forget to eat. Put it in when nothing else is going on.
Bec