english setter

Englishsetterhunter

english setter

Post by Englishsetterhunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:56 am

WHO HERE HAS AN ENGLISH SETTER????? I LOVE MINE

romeo212000

Re: english setter

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:32 pm

I don't have one but they are beautiful dogs. For me it's a tossup between whether I like the looks of an English setter or German shorthair better. I guess it depends on the markings. With shorthairs I love heavy ticking. With Setters I like more white with sparse small black spots. I may have to give in and get a setter one of these days to add a little diversity to my Shorthairs.

Englishsetterhunter

Post by Englishsetterhunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 pm

their really gud hunting dogs ive noticed natural retrieving can be a lil problematic at times but nothing force fetching wont cure

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 pm

I think its those tails that I like so much. It looks like a flag when they are on point. The long hair would be a nightmare out her in Oklahoma though. Would defiantely have to keep them shaved during hunting season.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:19 pm

I got two and love them. One thing I found about setters over the years is that they tend to be softer and easier to work with than other breeds. But, I have also seem a few hard headed ones and they are the pits. They flip you the bird and you raise your voice then spend three weeks petting and apologizing to them. Don't care for the coat but I am shaving mine except for the front legs and the tail. I could live with most any breed so long as it was a E. Setter, GSP, Britt or EP.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Does Llewellin Setters count?? If so then I love mine as well. Image

Prairie Drifter

Post by Prairie Drifter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:02 pm

I'll be the odd duck here. I have 14 English Setters and have had Gordon't as well in the past. I haven't had a Gordon for about a dozen years, not because I don't like them, but because I have decided to concentrate on the English. I Got my first setter, a Thor bred male named Sky, in 1885. He was a bird finding machine with more run than a first dog man needed. I hunted mainly pheasants with him and believe that I only ever lost 3. What a retriever. After 10 years of owning setters and having to drive 12 hours to purchase what I wanted, I started breeding them. It's hard to find a medium ranging setter here in Kansas as most of the more prominenet breeders were breeding off of All Age bloodlines like Sunrise that not all hunters would find themselves able to control. I have blended grouse, shooting dog, and NSTRA bloodlines in my breeding and am having good success with our pheasant, chicken, and quail hunters. I really enjoy the time in the field I get with my dogs. It gives me balance against the more negative influences in life. I've found if you get good bloodlines and spend the time with the dog, most setters will make excellent gundogs.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:09 pm

I had one a few years ago but he was too hot wire for the small house I was in. So I had to give him up. We moved to a bigger place and now I have a GSP and I adopted an Irish Red and White setter a few months ago. I am definately liking the setters a lot more. I do think I am going to get another IRWS in about a year or two.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Prairie Drifter wrote:I'll be the odd duck here. I have 14 English Setters and have had Gordon't as well in the past. I haven't had a Gordon for about a dozen years, not because I don't like them, but because I have decided to concentrate on the English. I Got my first setter, a Thor bred male named Sky, in 1885.
WOW Prairie Drifter, I didnt know you were so old! :lol: :wink: 8) HA HA!

Back to the topic at hand...I have one Lew. Pure birddog and the only way he is leaving is in a pine box. :lol: Tons of nice dogs out there though of many different breeds, thank God not everyone that loves their breed starts their own thread! :roll: :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 pm

What's the breeding of your Llew Topher?

In answer to the thread... three adult Llews now, one pup coming in about a month. Maybe I can squeeze one more into the household- space and $ allowing :D

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Rock-
You might not believe this but I own an unregistered mutt of a Lew! :o I couldnt tell you what he is out of other than he is a Lew. His parent both are but were never registered and I bought him for $40 8 years ago. Best dog I have ever had. Just goes to show you that papers dont make the dog! :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:00 pm

I have 6 adult llewellins and 3 pups now. I have seen nice dogs in all breeds.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:00 pm

I own setters and pointers, but I am a setter man and have since my grandfather got me started in them. They are my bread and butter. I have two that just turned a year old on the 7th and both will head north this fall with me to further their training. Hey Don, your gonna have to post up some pics of those feathered dogs of yours, If I recall, our dogs look very similar and probably have close to the same breeding.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:24 pm

I hate to disagree with you Romeo but I live in Oklahoma out in the panhandle where we have nothing but stickers, cactus, cockle burrs, and yucca and I own an English Setter and do not have a big problem with her coat. I am however about to shave her because I got her fixed last year right before hunting season and while she was fine during hunting season she has put on a lot of weight and her hair has grown phenomenally compared to what it used to be since the end of last years quail season. Just to keep her cool is the only reason I am going to shave her.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 pm

I have two Ryman / Old Hemlock Setters. Love them to death. Their range is 50- 60 yards which is perfect for me. They point with so much style, just love all the hair on the tail.But it is a pain to get out all the briars...........Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I hate to disagree with you Romeo but I live in Oklahoma out in the panhandle where we have nothing but stickers, cactus, cockle burrs, and yucca and I own an English Setter and do not have a big problem with her coat. I am however about to shave her because I got her fixed last year right before hunting season and while she was fine during hunting season she has put on a lot of weight and her hair has grown phenomenally compared to what it used to be since the end of last years quail season. Just to keep her cool is the only reason I am going to shave her.
I have a good friend that lives in Guymon OK, in the panhandle. He breeds and hunts Llewellins. He tells me stories of finding phesant, bob's and blues in the same place.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 pm

I'm picking up my new setter pup from Jerry Myers in Oklahoma on Friday. I am really excited. I'll have to post pics Sat. and as we progress.

Nitrex

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:39 am

Ive got one Llewellin setter right now. He is a very cool dog but is hard headed as anything! He makes my current Lab look soft.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:47 am

The first dog that I ever had that was my own was a red,and white female setter names Susie.I was ten yrs old.That was 31 yrs ago.I can still remember her the first time I saw her on point,walked up,and flushed a covey of quail,and missed three times with my ole model 12 20 bore..HOOKED 4EVER..BTW Im currentlu looking for a tri-colore female that I dont have to drive 10 hrs to pick up..Anyone?

Prairie Drifter

Post by Prairie Drifter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:23 am

Nitrex, that should be a good one. My River male is from Jerry and your pup is closely related if it's the litter he had advertised recently. As for 1885, only my typing fingers are that old. :lol:

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 am

KY Grouse Hunter wrote:I own setters and pointers, but I am a setter man and have since my grandfather got me started in them. They are my bread and butter. I have two that just turned a year old on the 7th and both will head north this fall with me to further their training. Hey Don, your gonna have to post up some pics of those feathered dogs of yours, If I recall, our dogs look very similar and probably have close to the same breeding.
I'll see about that this afternoon. They look a lot better with all the shaggy hair gone.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:40 am

Highcotton I live 20 miles from Guymon and hunt near Guymon, Goodwell and Texhoma and what he says is true but over the last couple of years the Bobwhite quail have been in a serious decline around here. Pheasant and blues are everywhere though.

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:20 pm

My first setter, very pleased and impressed with him.
Two Faced Jake

lucky guy

Post by lucky guy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:25 am

One here.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:31 am

lucky guy wrote:One here.

I thought that might be you. Thought I still had some photo's of your dog working but guess I don't. You home again?

This guy has a real nice setter!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:48 pm

KY Grouse Hunter wrote: Hey Don, your gonna have to post up some pics of those feathered dogs of yours, If I recall, our dogs look very similar and probably have close to the same breeding.
Alright, here ya go.

Squirt

Bodie

If you notice the ear flaps, shaved inside and out. Hair on the chest gone and body hair and flank hair gone. Real burr traps. Another will show better the groin area and the base of the tail. Doesn't show the groin as well as I thought. But does show the butt under the tail and the base of the tail. Have another of Bodie that shows problem hair.

Look at the hair on that butt. You could pull burrs out of that mess for a week and not get them all. Also out of those ears. You can't see it well here but the legs have a ton of long soft hair on them also; gone now. Here's Bodie with the shave job

This one might give a better view of the hair mess on the ear leather's and under the neck. That mess goes on down the chest.

The photo's here of them shaved were taken about seven weeks after I shaved them. Will have to do it again before hunting season, waiting till August.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Good Lookin' dogs. Love how Squirts face freckled out like it did. Bodie seems to have real similar markings on his hindquarters like both of mine. How old are they and how far broke are they. I'll get some training pictures of my two sometime this weekend.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:52 pm

KY Grouse Hunter wrote:Good Lookin' dogs. Love how Squirts face freckled out like it did. Bodie seems to have real similar markings on his hindquarters like both of mine. How old are they and how far broke are they. I'll get some training pictures of my two sometime this weekend.
They'll be one year this month, Squirt about the 14th and Bodie a couple weeks later. Both are going thru FF right now and working on STF. Have Bodie almost done at STF and Squirt coming along. Squirt always starts out slow then catches up great. Bodie was ahead on FF but Squirt has passed him.

Hope to have everything in place when FF is done to have them both Green broke. Then I'll hunt both alone this year, be their first, and next spring work on backing. Want to be where no matter which dog points the bird, I can send either on the retrieve. Had several GSP's and a couple EP's that did that and I liked it.

samoyedsrule

Post by samoyedsrule » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:58 pm

I am getting an English setter pup in two weeks.

shepherdtrav

Post by shepherdtrav » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:09 pm

im getting an english setter on july 26 can decide what color to get i can pick from the 3 females out of the litter one it tri and the other orange and white

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Can't beat a setter. Good to see a Corbin KY guy on here. I am just up I-75 about 11 miles from ya'.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:31 pm

This is Josh. He is chestnut and because of his color he is quite often accused of being a Dropper. :)

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:36 pm

this is Rosie

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:01 pm

highcotton wrote:this is Rosie
\

Now this is a beautiful llewellin.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Great pictures guys and gals! Here is my Chestnut tri-color - "Deuce". In this pict. she is nine months old pointing a wet quail.

Here she is with me and my daughter running a kids fun trial.

So what are some of your "tricks" on keeping burrs off them or getting them out of them...other than shaving? She is a thick one. I am picking Deuce up Sunday for a month of R&R then she is heading back the the trainer for a trip to North Dakota! Can not wait to see how she is after a few weeks of wild birds!

Prairie Drifter

Post by Prairie Drifter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:23 pm

There's a lot you can do to reduce burs or make them easier to get out. I always take the scissors to them the week before season opens and sometimes again around Christmas. I lay my fingers flat in their coat and cut off everything that sticks out over my fingers. That keeps the fur from wrapping around burs. I have used horse "Show Sheen" sprayed onto the hair and worked in. Burs tend to bounce off or comb right out. Whatever the method, concentrate on the ears, chest, groin, and arm pits. Those areas tend to wrap up and bother the dog more.

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:28 pm

A pair of Oster A5 clippers and a #10 blade=no burrs

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:54 pm

I use mineral or vegetable oil to get burrs and stickers out. Just pour some on the burr or stickers or spray it from a spray bottle if you want and give it about 30 seconds to a minute to soften the hair and then it pulls right out. Mineral oil works the best. It works great for getting matted hair balls out without cutting them too.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:04 pm

Excited!!!!

I just picked up my new setter pup from Jerry Myers of Oklahoma today. Jerry is a great guy and very helpful. We didn't get to stay too long and talk, as we had a 4 hour drive home. The little guy is sure making some noise in that crate! He is settling in and exploring everything in the house including my two daughters. I'll post some pics tomorrow, as it was after dark when I got home.

John

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 pm

John,

You now know the joy of owning a setter pup!

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:55 am

gmanksu wrote:John,

You now know the joy of owning a setter pup!
we need our puppy picture fix.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:51 am

The pics will be coming - I promise. But right now I need a little sleep. A certain setter puppy thought it would be really funny to keep his owner, owner's wife, and 2 daughters up most of the night. Now I remember what my wife felt like getting up throughout the night to feed and change diapers for the girls before they slept through the night.

Actually, he did pretty well. Slept in the crate from 11pm - 4:30am. I took him out to go potty, but he was not ready for the crate again until 7am. He's sleeping right now, so why am I not in bed? Oh ya' I have 2 little girls that want to watch their princess movie. Maybe an outside kennel dog has some advantages.

I'll post later today!

Nitrex

Prairie Drifter

Post by Prairie Drifter » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Greg, did you get a pup out of Jackie from this litter? I knew you were supposed to at one time. John, enjoy. Sounds like the pup rounds out an interesting household.

big daddy

Post by big daddy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:21 pm

my new hunting buddy