Locking Dog Runs

rockllews

Locking Dog Runs

Post by rockllews » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:56 am

Curious as to how all of you handle dog security. Do you padlock your kennels when you're gone or at night?
One of our friends always keeps padlocks on his kennels. I do know dogs that have been taken right out of someone's yard, but honestly we don't lock our kennels, because with a simple pair of wire cutters, the panels themselves could be cut open.... Also, I am hesitant to lock them because if there was an emergency it might hinder our or somebody's ability to get them out. What do you think/do?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: Locking Dog Runs

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:12 am

I dont lock them with a lock , but I do use a snap clip so the dog does not push the hasp up. And while I am gone they are either boarded or my brother takes care of them for me.

Chip

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am

I don't lock individual runs. I have an exercises area around the runs. I do lock the exercises area.I know almost anything can be broken into but a delay does help. 9ga chain link takes more than wire cutters. We live in a rural area and probably nothing would ever happen but I have a friend that also lives in a rural area and he had two stolen. These were the dogs that he used to demonstrate pointing dogs when an interested puppy buyer came to his kennels.He did find one of them several weeks later wandering about 10 miles from his home.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks guys. We live in a rural area too (as does the friend that locks kennels), and I have pretty trustworthy neighbors and petsitters. Sometimes we lock a puppy kennel, but like Chip, will normally use a clip on certain dogs' kennels.

(Maybe it'd take more than wire cutters for some kennels, but I could pull out more than a couple tools from our shop that would handle ours :wink: )

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:59 am

I have a combination lock on our dog run. I didn't want to have to find a key every time I wanted to open the gate, hence the combination lock.
Chances of someone stealing my dogs is probably fairly remote, but with the lock, I make it even harder. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

2britts

Post by 2britts » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:41 pm

I live in town and put a lock on my kennel. It wouldn't stop someone who wanted to take my dogs, but it does keep out the neighborhood kids. I would hate to have them open the gate to pet the dogs only to have them get loose. My borther had it happen recently with his daughters show rabbit. The kids that like in the house behind him open the door to pet the rabbit and it shot out never to be seen again.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:55 pm

I keep a padlock on mine. If someone really wanted to get her they could. It's more to keep honest people honest and kids away. Most of the time people will make a decision to not steal something if you just make it difficult on them. Some people will steal not matter what you do.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Guess it depends on your neighborhood. 8)
brenda

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:18 pm

I have 2 large German shepherds that watch over our kennel. There is a breed for any job. :twisted:

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:10 pm

I don't lock my kennels as I only use them during heat cycles. I do keep the yard gates locked so that the neighborhood kids can't just walk in and, by accident, leave the gate opened. But then, I live in a suburb and have a 6 foot privacy fence around the back yard.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I don't use locks but do use snaps. I have a couple that are so good at flipping latches they will beat you to the house if you leave the snaps off. :)

Josh stays in the yard with a 6 foot wood fence. I doubt I could run him off. Someone left the gate open all day once and he didn't leave.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:44 pm

I use a chain wrapped around the gate poles so they cant jump them open. I do not think anyone could walk up to the kennel out here without the 4 legged alarms going off (the dogs). And they will bite I imagine. They do bark loudly whenever something out of the norm occurs or if the dogs down the road bark.

Late one night the inside dog went off, turned on the outside spotlite and saw 2 kids running away, found a new red hose by the truck. I dont drive it much and keep it close to empty most of the time.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:54 am

well postioned game camera in a phony birdhouse
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol