Field trialers or hunters

sureshotshane

Field trialers or hunters

Post by sureshotshane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:07 am

Hello, I was just interested in what most of you do with your dogs field trials, hunt test, hunt with them or both?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Field trialers or hunters

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 am

Pups just turning a year, but we're in NAVHDA testing and hope to do Hunt Tests in the future.................but most importantly go out and shoot down a bunch of birds next season. :wink: Denise

Maybe that would make a good poll topic?

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:22 am

I think it might be fun to do Hunt Tests but all I'm going to do with him right now is hunt.

John

sureshotshane

Post by sureshotshane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:24 am

I was looking into that NAVHDA too and it seems like alot of fun.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:27 am

SSS,from what I have read you have no papers of any kind on your pup & that is where the problem comes in when you start thinking of Field Trials,Hunting Test,etc.

sureshotshane

Post by sureshotshane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 am

thats true but That doesnt mean I can't get anymore dogs. :lol:

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:35 am

You could still participate in NAVHDA training though. I like my club a lot, and they certainly didn't ask for a pedigree when I joined and testing is not a requirement. If a NAVHDA club had a mock test, prior to the real testing...................they might not even care if you participated in that either as it's not for a real score. Just would depend on the club.

I'm not knowledgeable about this, but what about the status AKC gives dog that have purebred characteristics but no pedigree. I can't remember what they call it, but I think they give you an I.D. number or something. Like I think you can take them into dog obedience...............does that not pass over to a hunt test? Just asking as I haven't a clue. Denise

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:38 am

I can see you are hooked already & your first pup is going to lead you astray.I'm not trying to discourage you in any way but just trying to show that this is what happens when you buy an un papered dog.The dog you have now could be the BEST DOG you ever own but you can't show him off in that way,doesn't make him any less of a dog,most times the money you save buying unpapered dogs come back to bite you in the butt & eliminates you from the competion part that you & your dog might really enjoy & excell at. :D

sureshotshane

Post by sureshotshane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:49 am

Yeah, but I can show her off while hunting. and I think your right about the I.D. thing you cant really win but you can enjoy and have fun with other people who have the same interests.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:51 am

You can participate in Field Trials, just not under judgement. We have that off and on. Not everyone is into competition.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 am

I think there there is a provision like Weims suggest, but I am not certain.
The question hunter or field trialer: I do both but more trial directed now. I think most field trialers are hunters then find trials.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:03 pm

To answer your initial question, I will trial 20 days a year or so, hunt about 30, and run a few MH events. Owner of my company hunts with me, so I have unlimited days off, that involve beer and hunting that is.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:06 pm

I have hunted for years(30 years), and recently (last 3 years) got into the field trials.I am hooked and it is a lot of fun. I am looking at Hunt Tests this coming year as something you can do more readily with your dogs on foot as opposed to the expense and needed items like a horse etc. to run most trials. Not all but most. Good Luck.
Bill L.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:06 pm

This is the link for the AKC page that covers Purebred Alternative Listing and what they can participate in.........including Hunt Tests. I didn't read the nitty gritty of it yet though. Denise

http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm
Last edited by wems2371 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Yes you can get through AKc and ILP/PAL regstration needs a vet signature the dog appears to be a pure bred dog and that it is also spayed or neutered

then you can do hunt tests and obeidience

www.akc.org you can find more info there
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:13 pm

I have been bird hunting for 33 years now and that is my first love, however, I have been to some of the more popular trial types, I see them as sort of extending the hunting season. Both are fun but Hunting wins out every time with me.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 pm

vzkennels wrote:SSS,from what I have read you have no papers of any kind on your pup & that is where the problem comes in when you start thinking of Field Trials,Hunting Test,etc.
AKC offers an Indefinite Listing Privilege (ILP) registration that enables pure bred, otherwise unregistered dogs to compete in activities where titles go AFTER the name (hunt tests, obedience, rally, agility). You need to submit a picture, your vet has to sign that the dog is altered, and last I checked it was a $25 registration fee, and then you can play some of the games.

Get your pup registered and have fun!

And to answer the original question, I'm a field trialer.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

sureshotshane

Post by sureshotshane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Thats cool, I think I will just have to do that, as soon as I get her fixed. Thanks everyone

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:29 pm

here is the link that we ahve refered to on AKC http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm which explains more indepth about what you can particpate in and also how to tae pictures to be sent in with the form
the form link http://www.akc.org/pdfs/ilpform.pdf
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:46 pm

i joined my local navhda chapter and will pursue their testing as well as hunt with my pup

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:09 pm

We hunt 120-150 days a year most years, field trial 20-30 days, and occasionally participate in AKC tests. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:11 pm

Hunt 60-70 days a year. Trial another 10-15. I'd trial more if I could afford it, lol. But I don't ever see myself missing a day hunting to go to a trial.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:19 pm

As long as we are talking about papers, can anyone tell me how to get a dog registered with a separate registry than what the dog is in now? I bought a dog for my wife, a weimaraner. I bought from a reputable breeder who has some nice Viszlas and Brittanies who I am pretty sure are FDSB registered. She also breeds some other types of dogs and sells them, one being Weims. When I recieved the papers a couple of weeks after purchasing the dog I was extremely disappointed to find out the darn dog was registered with the American Pet Registry and she had a 3 generation pedigree to go with it but all those dogs were registered with the same registry. From the research I have done this is a registry used by breeders and pet shop owners. I did not recognize nor do I like the registry and would like to register the dog with the AKC, NAVHDA, or the FDSB. Any advice would be appreciated. This particular registry does not appear to be recognized by any other so I am having some problems getting any help from the other registries.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:50 am

We Test, Trial and Show our dogs, but above all..... I live to chase Ruffed Grouse :D
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:46 am

I hunt Ruffies and wood cock 30 plus days a year, Run on Wild birds during the off season in August & September and before the Spring mating, Duck hunt maybe 10 or 12, run MH test when I have the dog ready, run NSTRA when I have the time and money to travel 8 to 16 hours, I have recentley run a couple of AF/AKC trials locally last year. Will try to find more of them if I can.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:28 am

I love to field trial, but this is what my dogs and I REALLY LOVE to do.

FC Flashy Ricky Ticky Rocknfire after winning a 5 pt major Open Gun Dog at Ozark GSPC Spring '06 (retrieving)

Rock after a day in the field chasing Iowa Roosters

Rowdy's 1st Iowa Rooster

Tavi's 1st S. Dakota Rooster

Chong's 1st Iowa Roosters

Chong doesn't trial, but the rest of 'em do.

I work 3rd shift, so I try to get out every day to chase Roosters and Bobwhites, plus go to S. Dakota or Nebraska to chase Sharpies and Chickens.

Oh yea, I try to attend 6 to 10 trials a year too!! (Don't know how long that will last though, with the price of gas.) :evil: :evil:
If gas gets too high I'll cut back on trials, but definately not hunting!! :wink:

Doug

BarkRidge

Post by BarkRidge » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:24 am

I do not hunt. In my area, Western Ky, Central Tn, the quail are so few and far between it does not seem right to kill them when there numbers are so low. I am only interested in "bird" dogs for trialing purposes. For pets I choose another breed, German Shepherds.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:56 am

Hunt, hunt, hunt!! I do a handful of field trials each year to socialize and justify all the "training" I do - I'd "train" even if I didn't go to trials. Training is really hunting exactly like we do in hunting season, just using a blank gun and paying more attention to crisp manners.

Hunting find with live rounds - bunch 'o sharpies (minus one :wink: ):

Training find with blank rounds - 3 sharpies:

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:14 am

1st - Hunting
2nd - Hunt Tests
3rd - Looking to start Field Trialing

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:30 am

I looked into this recently. This is from an e-mail that I sent...

---------------------
Did quick research on the ILP. Here is the executive summary:

1. Download and fill out this form: http://www.akc.org/pdfs/ilpform.pdf
2. Two pictures both taken at “dog level” on flat surface like a floor. Grass doesn’t work.
a. Full front showing face
b. Full profile
3. Statement from your vet saying she has been spayed
4. $35.00
5. Mail to:
The American Kennel Club/PAL/ILP
PO Box 900059
Raleigh, NC 27675-9059
---------------------

You can do the AKC pointing breed hunt tests with you WPG. Suggest that you search the archives on early versus later spaying/neutering. Consensus seems to be that later is better due to early-neutered dogs being more prone to athletic injuries like ACL tears.

Folks, we have led another person down the road to happy poverty....

Greg J.

sureshotshane

Post by sureshotshane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 pm

Thanks everyone, It sounds easy enough. :)

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:19 pm

I tend to hunt mine most of the time. Mostly I do guided hunts for Air Force barss and Scout troops and friends. I will trial on occaision. When I do, I run only puppy, derby or gun dog heats. I've found that all age and the like are too far from what I do in the real world of hunting. Please do not get me wrong. Those of you who like to run large and run all age have my deepest respect. However, to date, I have never hunted from a horse and see no reason to.
I should also mention, at this point, that I do own an all age dog. My Tania run as large as any dog I have ever seen. I just haven't caught the bug yet. And yes, Tania has placed in both events I have entered her in.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:22 pm

You should consider NSTRA trials. It is all done from foot except for the judges, birds are planted your dog runs against a brace mate for 30 mins, finds points, you flush and shoot and the dog retrieves. That is why I like them. As close to hunting scenarios as you will get.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:26 pm

As close to hunting scenarios as you will get.
Must say..noth..noth...nothing...tongue bitten...lips zipped...keep thoughts to self just once...self control Doug, you can do it... :lol: :lol:

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:30 pm

DGFavor wrote: Must say..noth..noth...nothing...tongue bitten...lips zipped...keep thoughts to self just once...self control Doug, you can do it... :lol: :lol:
Good job Doug.