field pants

natetnc

field pants

Post by natetnc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:09 am

what do you guys like to wear? i am looking at getting a new pair for the season. so far i am liking the McAlister waxed pants and the Cabela's unlined boar hide field pants. any other suggestions are welcome. i am looking for pants that would do well in cooler conditions, i already have a light pair for early season.

vzkennels

Re: field pants

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:07 am

Nate I have wore out many pairs of hunting pants over the yrs.Last yr I bought a pair of LLBeans Technical upland pants that I think will outlast all the others I have owned over the yrs.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:27 am

I love to wear bibs, and especially in cooler climates. They are a lot easier to layer underneath without hampering your movement.

I have a pair of Cabelas Gortex bibs, not for sure the product line.

Brandon

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:30 am

I use chaps. In the warmer months I wear jeans with the chaps and in the colder months I wear wool pants with chaps. If I get muddy or wet when hunting, I can shed the chaps before I get in the truck.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:58 pm

daddyfid wrote:I use chaps. In the warmer months I wear jeans with the chaps and in the colder months I wear wool pants with chaps. If I get muddy or wet when hunting, I can shed the chaps before I get in the truck.
I prefer chaps also, i have the Filson tin chaps and they are plenty heavy and work great when hunting in cooler weather...plus they dont let anything through, be it wind or thorns or whatever.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:23 pm

I have a couple of pairs of Columbia briar pants that have worked well. They're pretty thick so they tend to get warm if it's not cool out. They're great in cooler weather.

Right now, I wear shorts in the field. It's WAY too hot to wear long pants.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:37 pm

I have a pair of the Columbia briar pants, they are pretty good, but not when it's wet out.

So I now have two pairs of these:

GORE-TEX® Upland Guidewear™ Pants

I have two because my wife hemmed the first pair I bought for me, and made 'em a bit too short. So I bought another pair, and this time I let Cabela's do it for me (it's free, after all so why not?). It took them about 20 minutes to do while I was at the store, and they did a really nice job.

They're worth the money!

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:41 pm

i have looked at the guidewear pants, they look nice and have pretty good reviews, i am not into spending that much though.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Try and buy the best pair your buget will allow.
I have had a couple pair that were not that great. I went out and got a set of beretta upland gortex lined pants. They are amazing cool in the warm weather and nice on those cold wet windy days. They were pricey but well worth it. Plus I haven't had a scratch on my thys in a long while :D

Jered
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:55 am

Chaps. They're versatile.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Chap's waterproof and briarproof and I like the fact you can take them off before getting in the vehical or going into the house. :)

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Chaps. I have worn Wick chaps for years, I love them. I know they will probably last me the rest of my lifetime, at least I'm set.

Thye might have some more available before they close up shop, check this link out and see http://www.houndhunting.com/modules.php ... c15cc4a962

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:50 am

During the warmer months for dove I wear light weight camo bibs but when the weather gets cold here I wear Carhartt bibs-unlined and buy them a size too big so that I can layer my clothing underneath according to the weather. We have a lot of cactus, yucca, crp grass, wild plum thickets, etc. so I like the protection from these plants that the canvas bibs offer.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Mule brand chaps have served me well for the past few years.....they make 2 versions one is a mesh back for warmer days/ climates. There very very durable in my experinece...
Last edited by lvrgsp on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:56 pm

i am a chap guy also. filson works best for me

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Carhart bibs with nylon leg fronts that I've had for nearly 20 years. I have been told that you can't get them anymore.
big steve

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm a big fan of Filson bibs but they finally wore out this year. The only things I don't like about them is when I have to apply the wax and the price. This year I bought a pair of waterproof chaps from Lion Country Supply. I think I got them for around $40

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 am

How about the McAlister’s waxed canvas pants?

desullivan

Post by desullivan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:23 am

Orvis Red Hills Briar Pants model 8673. I have always bought them at an Orvis outlet for about $60 on sale. Thin enough for warmer weather and thick enough as it gets cooler and after I add wax to the front panel it keethat keeps from wearing too uch weight in a pair of pants for all the walking.ps dry and warm. Any colder than 50 degress I wear thermals under and

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:38 am

count me in for liking chaps....i wear the filsons.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:34 pm

If you are looking for some light weight pants Cabelas has some all cordoba green pants that are good for training, but they don't handle briars to well. Most light weight pants will not. My best pants to block briars are the Cabelas boar hide that are lined. Great pants for real birdhunters.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:06 pm

I wear double layer carhartts and some gortex gaitors to keep my boots burr free and well tied. Never enough money for the bibs but maybe by this pheasant season (if the numbers are up and I have enough money) Seriously debating ptarmigan hunting.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:49 am

I ended up buying the cabela's boarhide. They are well made but do not have the fit I was looking for. They seem to be low in the crotch.... good for relaxing but can get annoying when trying to manouver over/under obsticals or walk for long distances. I am a fairly thin guy at 5'10" and 150#, they might fit better on a huskier frame. A buddy of mine, with a similar build, bought the mcalisters... they fit him well and they will probably be my next pair, unless i pony up for the filsons. I'm not a fan of chaps, in my experience you either love 'em or hate 'em.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:22 pm

natetnc wrote:I ended up buying the cabela's boarhide. They are well made but do not have the fit I was looking for. They seem to be low in the crotch.... good for relaxing but can get annoying when trying to manouver over/under obsticals or walk for long distances. I am a fairly thin guy at 5'10" and 150#, they might fit better on a huskier frame. A buddy of mine, with a similar build, bought the mcalisters... they fit him well and they will probably be my next pair, unless i pony up for the filsons. I'm not a fan of chaps, in my experience you either love 'em or hate 'em.
The McAlister’s waxed canvas pants? How are they in warm weather?

deke

Post by deke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:02 am

Double fronted carharts work just fine, maybe chaps if you are going through really nasty stuff.