Pup gets motion sickness

Nebraska

Pup gets motion sickness

Post by Nebraska » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:03 pm

My newest addition gets motion sickness and since I can't avoid transporting her I was wondering if there's anything I can do that would help make travelling easier on her. Maybe facing her a certain direction? Not feeding her until after we get back? Any ideas??

WildRose

Re: Pup gets motion sickness

Post by WildRose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:35 pm

How old and how big?

Carsickness is not at all unusual with a pup's first few car rides. What seems to help most of them more than anything is to have them be able to see to the front. facing the rear seems to help as well.

If the pup is over four months old and over 15lbs giving a half a benadryl/dyphenhydramine about a half hour before you leave will quiet them down quite a bit and most will then just relax and sleep.

No food four hours prior to a trip, no water 2 hours prior will help a great deal. It will at least reduce how much mess there is if he/she does throw up. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:41 am

I've never had the problem, but friend did and he used to put a blanket orsheet over kennel to calm dog.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:57 am

this is very common and pup will most likely outgrow problem. You might consider short trips just under the distance where he gets sick. You can tell when they start to drool

upland-o

Post by upland-o » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:41 pm

i had a springer once with the same problem, we threw a blanket over her kennel and it helped a little bit although not totally taking care of the problem, it did give her comfort and we started taking her on short trips around town in the car to climatize her, the problem went away when we started doing that

remmy

Post by remmy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Very common in pups. Not to worry, they grow out of it in a few months. Just don't feed the pup prior to driving.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 am

I'll watch her food/water and face her frontwards/backwards. I'll keep the benadryl in mind too if we're doing some serious travelling. Thanks for the replies.... :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:17 am

Having suffered from car sickness all my life....

The key is to be able to focus on an horizon.
If pup is high enough to see away down the road it won't be sick. ( Looking out the back or side doesn't work for me.)

When I ride on a bus, if I can get that front seat diagonal to the driver, where i can see far d0wn the road , i'm fine. It's an inner ear balance thing. people who get an inner ear infection are nauseated.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett