How young can a dog be impregnated?

winchestermodel50

How young can a dog be impregnated?

Post by winchestermodel50 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 pm

A friend of mine got a shock the other day when he went out to the kennel and found his male GSP tied up on a 9 month old female GSP. He didn't realize a dog could come into heat at that age and there had been no previous indications that she was coming into heat. We would appreciate a little advice in this situation. I hope there is little need for concern, but would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Grouse Dog Guy

Re: How young can a dog be impregnated?

Post by Grouse Dog Guy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:32 pm

If she was in heat and ovulating she can be impregnated!

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:40 pm

Ron like GDG said if she is in heat & ovulating she can be bred.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:42 pm

In RARE cases I have seen females stand for a male when they arent in heat. A buddy of mine has one right now that would stand for an elephant ANY time of the year whether she is in heat or not. :lol: Even if she was in heat she may not take, timing has to be right. Funny thing is that you can PLAN a breeding and not ever get it done but accidents ALWAYS take on the first shot! :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:46 pm

That's very true Topher & I think Ron has already experienced the planned breeding with no pups but hope he don't experience the accidental litter.Yes I have some friends that owned a show CH.Dobe bitch that would stand anytime but never was bred that I know of.They use to use her to give young males breeding experience.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:52 pm

well if she standing for him ...approx 63 days be prepared for pups if it takes there are some chance that it may not ...but in this case murphys law may apply and it will

and pups can come in as early as 6 months

now as for signs..mybe they missed it or there is such thing as a silent heat where the female doesn't show signs ...a friend of mine had that happen with his female last year thnkfully he sw the dogs tie up also because when her temp dropped and stayed low she never did begin labor and the pups had to be whelped via c section
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Trey6

Post by Trey6 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 pm

He can get her to the vet and get rid of the litter now.

solon

Post by solon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:50 am

Cabergoline can be used to induce estrus and it can also be used to terminate a pregnancy. See this link and google others:

http://www.jaaha.org/cgi/content/abstract/42/5/366

It can be a pain to get the drug, as it is licensed in Europe and is available from pharmacies in Canada by prescription. I got some to induce estrus and wouldn't you know, the bitch came into heat the day the drug arrived.

Solon

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Is there not a time before the vulva swells and any blood shows , when a clear liquid is present, when a dog can get pregnant? Also a similiar period after the obvious signs appear to be over?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:55 pm

Generally with a normal cycle there is some slight swelling then bleeding starts then more swelling then the red blood turns to a clear pinkish color and it is about this point where the female is receptive then then last part of the cycle there will still be some slight clear discharge but it mostly stops at the end of the female being receptive and then the swelling goes down from beiginning to end as average 3 weeks

there are some females that may swell very little showing little sign and be able to keep themselves pretty clean during their cycle

there are some that turn to grapefruits they get pretty swollen and you can't miss them being in heat from a distance

then as i describe before on a RARE occasion a dog may experience a silent heat where there literally is no swelling no bleeding even when taken to the vet after she was caught standing for the mae in the house even the vet told my friend that she wouldn't get pregnant and if she did he would buy him lunch....he still owes my friend lunch cause not only did she have pups ...I am guessing here but the same lack of hormones that caused her to have the silent heat lacking the normal cycle, was the same lack that prevented her from to going in to labor when her temp dropped to 79 degrees and still no signs of labor ...took her in and the vet did an emergency C Section
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.