Solid kennel dividers

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Solid kennel dividers

Post by mountaindogs » Sat May 07, 2005 3:53 pm

I have been thinking about putting in solid dividers between the kennels. Does anyone else have these? If so what material do you use? I saw some horse stall dividers that might work, but I'm not sure about using wood. Hard to clean & easy to chew. Just planning - the kennels need to expand and I might ought to redo some things while I'm at it.
Also I noticed on the GDF cribs thread that railroad ties were used for framing. How do they work for you? Any chewing, digging issues? It looks easier than our current trench and concrete technique. :D

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat May 07, 2005 8:07 pm

We used a piece of gal sheet metal to divide the kennels in the whelping house. Had them cut to fit at a metal place. Wood is terrible, just not sanitary and they will chew it.
brenda

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat May 07, 2005 9:10 pm

Snips,
I shall have to come take a look :)

What are the dimensions?

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat May 07, 2005 9:28 pm

I haven't had any chewing on the RR ties. So far, I really like the gravel/RR combo....

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun May 08, 2005 5:48 am

Like Grant, we use RR ties around the base of the kennel, keeps your gravel in much better, keeps them from digging, and the chainlink is attached down to them. Where I am talking about is about a 3 or 4 ft high piece between dogs. We just put little holes in each corner and wired it up. It is really not neccesary between dogs unless you have fence fighters. We divded the kennels where the females have puppies, we don`t want any ill feelings between Moms`s. Come by any time, where are you?
brenda