? about response to started dog

natetnc

? about response to started dog

Post by natetnc » Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 pm

i have just received a response e-mail from a kennel and not quite sure what it means. i asked if a certian dog was still available for sale and this is what i got back.

"Hi Nate. Nitro is for sale but he must stay on my string and be Field trialed by me for his life."

i am no longer interested in the dog as i have already purchased but what does this mean, specifically "stay on my string" and why would someone do this?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: ? about response to started dog

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 pm

this is where you own the dog the wins are recorded in your name but the handler keeps the dog to run and you foot the bills

I have thought about doing this with a couple dogs...but...sorry if my name is on the paper I would like to have control of my dog
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Thu May 29, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm going to take a stab at this and I think I even now the dog your talking about but anyhow it means he is a top notch field trial dog that needs an owner but needs to be field trialed. String is his string of dogs that he trials.
I'm going to PM also

Rob

The FT guys could maybe explain better than I...
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Knine explained it beautifully. They are wanting someone to foot the bills and in return they will list you as owner. The day I buy a dog that is the day the dog becomes mine and I will decide what and where he will live and compete. I really think its a rip-off but if someone is desperate to see their name in the records and is willing to pay a lot of dollars to see it I guess it's ok.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu May 29, 2008 10:07 pm

kninebirddog wrote:the wins are recorded in your name
how does this benefit the owner footing the bills?

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu May 29, 2008 10:08 pm

ezzy333 wrote:if someone is desperate to see their name in the records
is this the only benefit?

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu May 29, 2008 10:47 pm

Hold on folks!

There's a HUGE difference between demanding a dog stay with a pro and asking the amateur to be nothing more than the check writer.

In some cases the pro owns the dog. He may have developed it as a pup or he may have bought/traded/been given the dog from a client. He believes that the dog is good enough to be campaigned. It is in his best interest to find a owner that will campaign it and it is in his financial best interest to not see the dog be placed with another pro. Demand for truly exceptional prospects out-paces supply so he's going to not sell the dog unless it's to someone who will campaign it and use him as the pro.

In other cases an existing client owns the dog. For whatever reason they want out, but they don't want to see their pro loose business. They are willing to wait for the right owner to come along to buy the dog.

I know a good number of people who have bought dogs in these situations, from GSPs to FT Labs. Guess what? ALL of them took the dogs home, all of them ran the dogs at some point themselves and many of them came to the conclusion with the pro that it didn't make sense to continue to campaign the dog. None of them bought these dogs just to be the "name in the owner's slot".

And here's the dirty little secret; most of the dogs that are advertised as "must stay with me" don't end up being sold with that same condition! It's often a technique people use to separate the tire kickers from those who are serious.

FWIW,
Dave

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri May 30, 2008 7:06 am

Dave Quindt wrote:I know a good number of people who have bought dogs in these situations, from GSPs to FT Labs. Guess what? ALL of them took the dogs home, all of them ran the dogs at some point themselves and many of them came to the conclusion with the pro that it didn't make sense to continue to campaign the dog.
here is the thing though, when you run the dog "at some point" what do you get out of it? i doubt you have any nonmonetary connection with the dog. you may see some great dog work but you can go to a guide service and get that for much cheaper. i guess i just don't get the whole campaigning idea, i think there are better monetary "investments" out there.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri May 30, 2008 7:40 am

I would never go for a deal like that myself. I'm wondering how old this dog is?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri May 30, 2008 8:46 am

Don wrote:I would never go for a deal like that myself. I'm wondering how old this dog is?
4yrs, a bit older than i was interested in but thought i would inquire.

Another reply from the guy. I told him i wasn't interested in a FT dog but inquired about the arrangement.

his response: "Nitro would be owned by them and off season would go home but he will remain in competition during the trial season."

sounds like the owner would get a raw deal imo. i can see it now, the owner would probably get dressed up in all of his filson clothing to go pick up the dog in his new truck he bought for the trip with his new dog box that still has the aluminum smell in it. then he takes it to his country club home to put it in the dog lot to use as a conversation piece at his luncheons or dinner parties. he will entertain all of his friends with 2nd hand stories of his dogs adventures and accomplishments, then wait anticipating the comment, "i've got to tell you that looks like one heck of a bird dog and sounds like it too", his night will then be complete and his $ was well spent. :lol: eh, i'm just joking around not trying to take stabs at anyone that does this campaigning thing, its just not for me.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri May 30, 2008 9:23 am

Dave Quindt wrote:Hold on folks!

There's a HUGE difference between demanding a dog stay with a pro and asking the amateur to be nothing more than the check writer.

In some cases the pro owns the dog. He may have developed it as a pup or he may have bought/traded/been given the dog from a client. He believes that the dog is good enough to be campaigned. It is in his best interest to find a owner that will campaign it and it is in his financial best interest to not see the dog be placed with another pro. Demand for truly exceptional prospects out-paces supply so he's going to not sell the dog unless it's to someone who will campaign it and use him as the pro.

In other cases an existing client owns the dog. For whatever reason they want out, but they don't want to see their pro loose business. They are willing to wait for the right owner to come along to buy the dog.

I know a good number of people who have bought dogs in these situations, from GSPs to FT Labs. Guess what? ALL of them took the dogs home, all of them ran the dogs at some point themselves and many of them came to the conclusion with the pro that it didn't make sense to continue to campaign the dog. None of them bought these dogs just to be the "name in the owner's slot".

And here's the dirty little secret; most of the dogs that are advertised as "must stay with me" don't end up being sold with that same condition! It's often a technique people use to separate the tire kickers from those who are serious.

FWIW,
Dave
Just to add to what Dave posted. Not only does the new owner get the above but the new owner also gets full (or at least half) breeding rights to that dog. So if someone is looking for a dog to add to their breeding program this would be an ideal situation.

FWIW

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 am

Casper wrote:Just to add to what Dave posted. Not only does the new owner get the above but the new owner also gets full (or at least half) breeding rights to that dog. So if someone is looking for a dog to add to their breeding program this would be an ideal situation.
i guess that would make sense but wouldn't a stud fee be cheaper? or even multiple stud fees at that.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri May 30, 2008 9:58 am

I dont know how it would be cheaper when you are being paid by others to breed to the dog "you" own :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 30, 2008 10:00 am

If you've ever met someone who wants to own a winner BAD, you would understand campaigning better.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri May 30, 2008 10:11 am

Casper wrote:I dont know how it would be cheaper when you are being paid by others to breed to the dog "you" own :wink:
got that, i was just thinking more from a personal stand point, breeding their own line from the campaigned dog. i have nearly 0 knowlege in this area, just curious about it. generally speaking, would the stud fees be enough to compensate for the expenses?

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Fri May 30, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm sure Nitro is a fine dog or else he wouldn't bother with wanting to keep him on his string. If the dogs as good as I think he is, havn't seen him run but know the types of dogs said pro is running, he is in probably the best hands he could be in ( I guessed which dog this is and was right) :lol: . Nate I'm going to guess that Nitro is alot of dog, not knocking you, but I'm guessing that the Chip dog you bought is more what you were looking for anyways. Said pro really likes huge allage hour stake running dogs and I'm guessing Nitro is suited more towards that not saying he wouldn't make a hunting dog I'm just sure he's alot of dog for someone that has never owned a "trial dog". I would love to have a FC havn't got one yet got some young prospects though so hopefully some day. But thats what this dog is he is a FC type dog that deserves just that to be campaigned to his FC. Nitro is very outstandinly bred dog though and very fine looking to boot. Stud fees like having puppies never compensate for anything I try hard not to look at my books to closely at the end of the year but cost vs income you'll just never come out ahead in the end. Having dogs is closer to a hobby than a business for most people it is strictly a hobby for me I enjoy it but absolutely make no money from it in the long run. By the way I'm sure that Chip dog will be a good one Clayton raises some nice foot hunting dogs. I had a dog out of his stuff for awhile Shake was his name he's now in Pennsylvania and hunts 4-5 days a week during there CSA season as a guides dog. He was a nice dog just not what I was looking for at that time.

Good luck
Robbie
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri May 30, 2008 1:23 pm

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs wrote:Nate I'm going to guess that Nitro is alot of dog, not knocking you, but I'm guessing that the Chip dog you bought is more what you were looking for anyways. Said pro really likes huge allage hour stake running dogs and I'm guessing Nitro is suited more towards that not saying he wouldn't make a hunting dog I'm just sure he's alot of dog for someone that has never owned a "trial dog".
i don't take offense to these kinds of comments, anyone who has read my prior postings would know that statement is true. i don't want you guys to think i was trying to purchase this dog after the e-mail response. when i first looked at the website it just said "dogs for sale" and had 4 pictures, the ped links didn't even work so i was just shooting a quick question about a nice looking dog. when i got the response i was just curious how that whole situation worked and if any of you were involved in that sort of deal.

i am new to the sport, there is no need for me to buy a dog that is FC material or pay the amount he would want (we didn't talk $). since my $1500 investment in snowboarding gear only to HATE IT :oops: , i am a firm believer in getting my feet wet before jumping in. i am pretty sure (98%) that the dog was not titled "available for field trialers only" when i e-mailed him about the dog, i have no interest in trialing. he must have had other nontrialers inquiring about it too or had not updated his site in a while.

i think chip will fit in nicely with the type of hunting i do and is really close to what i was looking for. so far i have only heard good things about KCK and they have been really good to deal with.