A little about me and my dog.

12 Volt Man

A little about me and my dog.

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:21 pm

I have an 9 month old English Pointer that I have been working with. This is my first bird dog and he is a lot of fun. His name is Cooper. I live in Utah. I plan on getting involved in some NSTRA trials here.
Mostly looking to have a decent bird dog in the end and have a lot of fun with him. I might try to guide on a hunt club if he gets good enough.
Just going to start introducing him to birds and will probably get an E-collar soon ( I want to do that right.).

So far he has not been on birds formally. He has chased a couple of quail. And busted a couple of pheasants. He minds me half the time on whoa. I am looking to work with some birds soon. Probably some pigeons to start with.

He will retrieve a canvass dummy. I can whoa him, then throw the dummy. He will stay there, I can walk around a bit then release him with a tap on the head. He will then go find it and bring it straight back only about 1/3 of the time. 2/3 he takes his own sweet time and messes around first.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:59 pm

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction, but still have a long road ahead of you...the rewards are well worth it, however. Welcome to the forum. :D

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:43 pm

Sounds like your having lots of fun!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun May 09, 2004 11:52 am

Thanks!

Helen

Post by Helen » Mon May 10, 2004 1:25 am

Welcome to the board. Sounds like you are doing great with your pup. We have a 12 month, 6 years and 11 year old pointers. They are great dogs but hard work. Defniitely worth it though to see them working.

Helen