NAVHDA?

daddyfid

NAVHDA?

Post by daddyfid » Thu May 22, 2008 9:18 am

I am wanting to start running my dog in the NAVHDA TESTS. Would it be beneficial for me to purchase the NAVHDA training book and video? We will be running in the utility event. I want to gather all the information I can to give my dog the best chance possible to succeed but it can start getting expensive. I will joining my local chapter and I am sure the training day's will be helpful also.

Dave Quindt

Re: NAVHDA?

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 am

Get ahold of the "Aims, Programs & Test Rules" book that you can download from the NAVHDA.com website.

Don't bother with the Green Book or the video; they are pretty much obsolete and most don't use those methods. Get started with your local training chapter; there will be members who can loan you their copies if you are really interested.

IMO, the best thing to get your hands on for prepping for UT is actually the AKC Master Hunt Test rules. Get your dog through a few MH tests before getting serious about UT, and your UT testing will go easier for both you and your dog.

JMO,
Dave

Debf

Post by Debf » Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 am

IMO - The best thing to do to prepare for a NAVHDA test is attend a handler's clinic. It will clear up any questions you may have on how the dogs are scored. As for the AKC Master Hunt...if you have aspirations of going to the Invitational definitely start running AKC hunt tests soon although, I'd suggest starting in Senior if you're new to hunt tests. A weakness in the NAVHDA program is that the dogs do not run in braces until the Invitational so if you start in AKC hunt tests now you'll be ahead of the game if you do decide to go on. It's also just nice to know your dog will have good manners when in the field with other dogs.

Download the Aims & Rules - Skip the green book.

Have fun & good luck!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu May 22, 2008 12:06 pm

IMO - You can learn a lot at the training days. With luck you will find someone to train with at other times too. The thing I like is there are differant ways to train and with you can find the one that works best for you. You do want to listen to more then one person to make sure you are getting good advice :wink:. What chapter will you be joining?
I personally do not run my dogs in SH. In senior hunter your brace mate can mess your dog up, IMHO. For example -since they do not have to be steady, your dog could be on point and the brace mate could come in and take out the bird. A few times of this and your dog may decide it's not worth pointing the bird if the other dog gets to take it out. I don't have the $$ to spend on test fees to have another dog mess mine up, I'd rather do more training and enter MH.
When you join the NAVHDA National, or is it International, I think they send you the Aims & Rules book.
I agree with attending a handlers clinic, I think that is money well spent. It's not about training your dog, but you learn what the judges are looking for and the ones I attended they gave us tips on running our dogs.

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Thu May 22, 2008 12:21 pm

The chapter I would be joining is: Big Muddy (Mo-Kan) NAVHDA Chapter

We are currently working on our senior. My dog could run master but I am new to all the tests and want learn as much as possible as I go.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is IMO?

Thanks for all the great info!

Debf

Post by Debf » Thu May 22, 2008 12:45 pm

IMO - In my opinion
IMHO - In my honest opinion.

parshal

Post by parshal » Thu May 22, 2008 4:20 pm

As others have said, skip the green book and go to chapter training days and a handler's clinic, if possible. Drive to a few tests near you and watch a Utility test. Most chapters are going to quite a drive from you, though. Once you see a UT test you'll have a much better idea of what you'll need to train. The very best thing that you can do is find someone who's run a UT and train with them.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Thu May 22, 2008 6:24 pm

parshal wrote:Drive to a few tests near you and watch a Utility test. Most chapters are going to quite a drive from you, though. Once you see a UT test you'll have a much better idea of what you'll need to train. The very best thing that you can do is find someone who's run a UT and train with them.
I would echo this....I am just getting started in the NAVHDA testing with my pup, and since I will probably be running him through the NA I went up and watched the local chapter's test this past weekend. I learned a LOT by both watching and talking to other folks that were there.