one more Pigeon question...

WiskeyJaR

one more Pigeon question...

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sat May 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Have switched to a bigger loft, new loft right next to old loft. Birds had been 7-10 days in new loft before letting birds fly for last 4 days.

Problem is, I have one pigeon that just will not go into new loft on his/her own. He (no idea male or female)will stay over night on the little entery platform, but will not go threw bobs with rest of pigeons. I havnt seen it "fighting" with any of the other birds, two birds will fit on platform at same time. The 3 other birds go inside with no troubles.

Any suggestions on getting the bird to use the bobs? Never had a problem with the bobs on old loft. Have used food, no deal.

Here is a couple pics of loft when half built, you can see the entery platform in the half painted pic.. The old loft is right beside new loft.

Sorry pics are so large, not really sure how to down size 'em. Will post pic when finished painting loft.

brittfans

Re: one more Pigeon question...

Post by brittfans » Sat May 17, 2008 3:19 pm

I think you have half the battle won the bird is using the platform.Sometimes I send my other bird out more often and in the excitement the stand out will go in.also like you said a little food on the platform maybe some just on the edge might help. you can also remove the bobs untill the bird uses the trap hole.If you get it to go in then I would push it threw the hole a few times before I released it again.

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun May 18, 2008 11:06 am

Hmmm I have two breeding pairs, it seems the two females will go threw bobs but the males seem to be staying outside. Food and water is inside, all the birds are used to bobs, had no trouble using them in old loft. The two males (Im assuming they are the males ) just hang around outside of loft. just have the 6 birds, two are squickers not yet flying, and two breeding pair. I wouldnt think the loft is "too crowed".

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this a common thing?

Thanks,
WiskeyJaR

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun May 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Can you catch him and toss him thru the bobs? May get him to do it on his own.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:24 pm

markj wrote:Can you catch him and toss him thru the bobs? May get him to do it on his own.
I wouldn't try that as he may just leave. Either just e patient or open one bob and try that for a few days.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Sun May 18, 2008 8:55 pm

If you wait till night you can go out with a flashlight shine the bird and catch it. I have done it with young birds that dont know how to use the bobs.

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun May 18, 2008 9:58 pm

lifted two bobs, 3 left hanging...seems to have worked for now. :)
Thanks all,
WiskeyJar