fetch and release

ccl20

fetch and release

Post by ccl20 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:36 pm

i went out fishing today with my dog, and as I was fishing, my dog kept smelling the wind as I blew. It seemed as if she was smelling a scent far off. The place I was fishing usually hold field trials, and hunt tests, so there usually is an abundance of quail that are wounded, or ones that get away. Well I decided to take a break from fishing and walk a little bit. As we walked, my dog ran into the tree line, and all I could hear are squeals, and flapping. The next thing I know, I see my dog, with a quail in her mouth. I decided to walk the tree line down to the end. As I walked boom she locked up, and I gave her the command and another quail flew. Not farther down, she disappeared into the forest, and when i found her she was holding a point. I sent her in, and she busted it out, and caught it as it was leaping form the ground. at the end, there were two quails that she flushed up, and then we headed back. All the birds were released, and none of them were taken, but it was great to see her working the fields again. She also retrieved 3 largemouth bass I caught today. I will post some pictures I took.

Image (alt+p)
Last edited by ccl20 on Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ccl20

more pics

Post by ccl20 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:39 pm

Image (alt+p)
Image (alt+p)
Image (alt+p)

ccl20

more pics

Post by ccl20 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:40 pm

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:01 pm

What some great pictures! Sounds like you had a good day, both in the boat and on the land.

lking

Post by lking » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:32 am

I would NOT be to apt to sending a pointing dog in on a bird right now, nor would I even be letting my dogs work wild birds right now. This is nesting season and wild birds can be caught fairly easily while working the nest.

Different story perhaps if they were old planted birds.

ccl20

Post by ccl20 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:14 pm

all of these birds were not wild birds. as i stated, there are many field trials that are held on the conservation area, and all of these birds were pen birds. these grounds are also training fields when nothing is going on. so these birds are used by other handlers to train there dogs. many of the birds have clipped wings, so many cant fly that far. so these birds are basically left over pen birds. if these were wild birds, i would not think of touching these birds. i would take in consideration that it is nesting season and i would leave them alone. sorry if i mislead you.