kennel progress

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

kennel progress

Post by highcotton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:38 pm

I decided to do a "pay-as-you-go" kennel project about two years ago. I have done most of the work myself and have done it in steps so as not put a strain on the family budget.

My objective was to build a small kennel in an urban neighborhood that would be neighbor friendly. It is connected to the city's sanitary sewer service gravity line about 110 feet from the drain. The half cover (standard aluminum carport cover) provides shade for the dogs and a dry place for me when it's raining. In summer I add a 90% shade cloth over the exposed portion of the runs because of the extreme heat we have in Alabama.

The unfinished garage adjoining the kennel will be deticated to the dogs and will include a whelping area, grooming table, sink, etc. I still have quite a bit of work to do and hope to have everything completed by retirement time.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm

Nice pictures. What size are the runs?

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:50 pm

The runs are 5x10. The back yard is fenced with 6' wood fencing so I alternate letting them stay out for excercise.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Looks very nice! How are those Dog Dens holding up for you? I have been disappointed in the rust, have pitched several tops, and rims around the bottom rusted out. Rick has them on the outside of his kennel with only the metal door coming in the run so dogs cannot pee on them or jump on the top, MUCH better, they are lasting much longer than mine.
brenda

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Brenda,

I am not having any problems yet but probably will since they are galvanized metal. Wallmart sells a bed liner coating simular to "Rhino Liner" that does a good jub rust proofing things. I plan to paint mine with it this summer.

I like the design but they could have selected better materials.

Charles

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Who makes the kennels you use? I am into the behlen magnums now, they hold up real well.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Those look like Preifert kennels,And DANG! I dont guess that slab will ever break in half! You could park a combine on that! Looks good!...

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:50 pm

dang... you have better neighbors than I do. Mine will yell at the dogs if they bark when they are let out just to go to the bathroom...

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 pm

The panels are Priefert, galvanized and then powder coated with a uv matrial.

The whole design had to be done around the elevation for the gravity sewer to work. That's why the high slab. BTW it's not solid concrete except for the edges.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 pm

I saw them priefert kennels at Pats place, nice the way they lock together. I put my kennels on a 4 in thick slab. Neighbors dogs bark a lot, mine hardly ever unless someone comes around dont belong. I live out in the hills of Loess :) a joke there. I am an old hillbilly you might say. Cides, when aplace goes up for sale I tell a friend and they come move in, then we all get along quite well. Have 5 on my road now and the others are always invited to our 4th of July party (Me birfday) :) they dig on the fireworks I create (pyro guy) and shoot off just for them.

Take em hunting and they dont mind the dogs at all.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Cotton,
Looks good. Tell me where did you get your shade cloth from? How much did it run you. Does it work well ?

Robert

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:52 pm

Fieldmaster wrote:Cotton,
Looks good. Tell me where did you get your shade cloth from? How much did it run you. Does it work well ?

Robert
http://www.thenaturalhome.com/shadecloth.htm

Scroll down the page until you see the "Automatic Quoting" form. You can fill in the blanks for size, etc. and it will give you a quote.

I like it a lot. This is my second season with it and it holds up well under normal use. It's tough but not totally puppy proof. Keep it tight so the wind can't whip it and tie it up so puppies can't reach it and it should last several years. I got the black 90% and remember it costing around $100. Their shipping service was quick, within about 10 days.

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:14 pm

COTTON, What are you doing, showing off your Kennels here? Have you heard any results about Trial of Champions Trial?---Friend Sonny :lol: :lol: PS. Why dont you BRAGG a little on my pointer Jack that you judged at jeffs trial?---Sonny :roll: :roll: :roll:
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 pm

Sonny Hawkins wrote:COTTON, What are you doing, showing off your Kennels here? Have you heard any results about Trial of Champions Trial?---Friend Sonny :lol: :lol: PS. Why dont you BRAGG a little on my pointer Jack that you judged at jeffs trial?---Sonny :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hey Sonny,

Jerry made the first cut with Rip today and had the second highest score on his field for the day. He had 4 birds but Jerry missed one. :)

I like your pointer Jack. He was the nicest dog I looked at that day. Now if he just had a handler. :lol: Just kidding.

Charles

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:41 am

Thanks for the info cotton.-----stay cool, Sonny :lol: Nice Kennel
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.