Please Help - DIY Remote Launcer -

daddyfid

Please Help - DIY Remote Launcer -

Post by daddyfid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:28 am

I have bought all the parts to make 3 remote launchers from the plans posted on this website. I hooked up my first launcher yesterday like the plans show (before soldering) but I can not make it work. I have the motorola walkies that have 1 plug in for headphone and mic. When I push my walkie to activate the launcher nothing happens. It is like the walkie connected to my launcher is not receiving the signal. I unplug the jack and it works fine. I am also unable to get the light to come on, on the trigger. I am not sure what to do. The only concern I had as far as wiring goes was on the jack that plugs into the walkie. I connected the black to the outer shield and the green to the very small back post.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Please help

Many thanks,

Brain

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 am

Brain (sp?),

I'll get back to you this evening when I have some time to think about it.

You most likely need a 2-way or 3-way stereo plug. You just have to get the "parts" split out correctly. It's important that the common goes to common and that you get the "out" part wired up to the "speaker" part of the plug, not the microphone. The microphone has current all the time.

The best way to do this is with a multi-meter. You can get a decent one inexpensively at most of the big-box do it yourself places or, failing that, at Radio Shack.

It'll probably be 8PM EDT before I can spend time on this...work is crazy and the kids have both a track meet and a lacrosse game this afternoon.

Greg J.

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:43 pm

Same problem here.

Except... had wired it exactly as pictured while pushing walkie button nothing happened. then about 5 seconds later the pie trigger started smoking. I'm sure it's shot so I have ordered another one.

THe only thing I can think is that I have motorola walkie's that use triple A batteries. Maybe something there?

I racked my brain around this one. Can't figure it out.

So please if you have any info on this please help.
Also my trigger light never came on either.

Thanks Matt.

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:07 pm

I fried one of my triggers also. I had everything hooked up properly but when I connected the battery the trigger started smoking. I tried it with a second trigger and so far this one has not fried up yet. I went up to radio shack today to look at other walkie talkie plugs and they said the one I have should work. Any help would be great.

Look forward to you getting back to us later Greg.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:22 pm

If you fried the trigger, it's because you have it wired wrong, have the wrong plug or similar.

Do the following:

1. Wire the plug but leave the other of the wires free so that you can check the voltage across them.

2. Plug the wire into the "receiver" walkie talkie as normal. Put the multimeter across the two wires left free in step 1. You should see zero voltage (or essentially that) across them. If you see voltage, you need to back up and change wiring, check for shorts, and possibly use a different plug.

3. Key the mike on the "transmitter" walkie talkie. You should now see voltage across the two wires because the unit is sending current to what would have been the "external ear piece" that we're using instead to trip the trigger.

If you don't see voltage across the two wires when the mike is keyed on the transmitter, you have it wired wrong, or have the wrong plug.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 till you get it right.

5. Once you have it wired up right, then you can proceed to hook it up to the trigger and complete the rest of the build.

Get back on here if you continue to have problems.

Greg J.

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks Greg! I will get a multimeter tomorrow and check it out. Your time and information is very much appreciated.

Brian

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I would like to thank you as well Greg.
I didn't think to use a multimeter just used motorola walkies and connected the wires as pictured. maybe somethings wired different the the radioshack 3/32 adapter plug and the 1/8 plug w/ the wires. I'll have to check it out when I get a multimeter.
Glad I got plenty of time since I won't even need it till the end of summer. Just planning ahead because of things like this.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:47 pm

You're very welcome.

Greg J.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:59 pm

More people have trouble with the Motorola radios than any other part of the construction. Finding and adapting the proper plug is a pain in the rear. I have made about ten of these things and found the Midland Radios to be the easiest to adapt. I think the last pair I used was LXT320 for $20.00, just make sure it has a seperate jack for the mic and headset. Then the Radio Shack cable, part no. 42-2420 works fine and only fits one of the radio jacks. Same type plug on both ends, cut in half, strip the wires and you have two ready, one for each launchers. You still need the multimeter to verify polarity of the output before wiring to the trigger. Hope this helps.

Coveyrise64

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:36 pm

IT WORKS!!!!!!

Bought the Midland LXT320 the Radio Shack cable, part no. 42-2420 and the launcher works great. Now I just need to get the right tension on the rope from the launcher lever and the actuator. Every 2 or 3 launches the actuator works but it does not pop the launcher.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Brian

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Anytime, glad it works.

Coveyrise64

bmacinok

Re: Please Help - DIY Remote Launcer -

Post by bmacinok » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 am

Here is another option using remotes instead of the radios.

http://www.oknavhda.com/trainingtips.htm

bm

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Re: Please Help - DIY Remote Launcer -

Post by Ayres » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:44 am

Please note that this thread is almost a year and a half old. There are newer threads regarding the remote launchers. I'm sure the problems in this thread have been resolved long ago.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux