Re: Setter Discussion

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Love that half black, half white face.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Thu May 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Eastwash wow he has gotten big and he is very handsome fellow...............................Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:51 am

I'd say that pup is worth more than $100!! :wink:
big steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 11, 2008 5:01 pm

New to the forum. We trial with the American Field/AFTCA , Region 13 in Ontario, Canada - Ontario Bird Dog and Conservation Association

These are my 2 girls:

Uplander's Contessa
Uplander's Little Lady
Last edited by Sharon on Sun May 11, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun May 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Maybe I'm missing something Sharon. Where are your two girls?

BTW, Squirt is really starting to rock. Looks really great on his birds now. Try to get a photo next week. My son thinks thats just great, about time for him to come get Squirt. Think I'll get a lab and paint it orange and white and give hm that!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Got hit with a computer virus just as I was putting on the pics. They are in the post now. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun May 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Nice girls! Can tell they like to use their nose. Nuthin purtier than Setters!
big steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Thanks. Tessa is Lady's Mom. The Sire for that litter is 5XCh Shady Hills Billy. Every pup in that litter has done well.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon May 12, 2008 2:09 am

Sharon,
Your Lady looks Identical to my Stone Tavern Matrix female Cindy.She's also a Firecracker.I'm hearing that Billy is producing some nice pups.I may take my Pennstar daughter to him next year,not sure yet.
Dog On Point!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 12, 2008 6:07 am

The Formans and their dad are wonderful people to work with. I've never heard any complaints about Billy pups. All of the 7 pups in this litter were big beautiful pups except this one. She was born not breathing and I revived her. Of course no one wanted a runt so I kept her. Absolutely no regrets. Derby Dog of the Year in Ontario last year and off to to a good start this year in Shooting Dog Stakes. I'm still smiling.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon May 12, 2008 6:30 pm

The smaller dogs to me sometimes seem to have more snap and crackle and are more agile.My Pennstar female was the runt of her litter.I had four pups to choose from and I choose her.You know what they say,surprises come in small packages.Sounds like your girl is on her way the bigger things.Good luck with her.I'm just a bird hunter right now,haven't trialed since the mid 70's.
Dog On Point!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 12, 2008 8:21 pm

The runts take up less room in the bed too. LOL

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 pm

For some reason I expected to see more red setters than we have seen in this thread so far...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 14, 2008 10:40 am

BoJack wrote:Sharon,
Your Lady looks Identical to my Stone Tavern Matrix female Cindy.She's also a Firecracker.I'm hearing that Billy is producing some nice pups.I may take my Pennstar daughter to him next year,not sure yet.

Ch Shady Hills Billy

and 2 young hunters thrilled with one of his pups:

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu May 15, 2008 12:31 pm

Ok, figured I'd show you something you don't see every day...<g>....a bench-bred red dog who is a bird dog...The second pic his coat is oiled down because we were still showing him at the time. And yes we photoshopped the pinch collar out of the pic...<VBG>....he no longer needs Mr Pinchy but still requires Mr Sparky every now and then... :wink: Kristi

ps: Jim Basham took the second pic. I took the first one during a training session. Training was provided by Jims son-in-law Jesse Chapman same as with our Brittanys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Thu May 15, 2008 2:43 pm

Here's a few of my crew.

Glenn Raven's Shady Billie (4XCH 4XR-U CH Shady Hills Billy x Grouse River Princess) - FDSB registered, trial dog bred.

HiFive's Magickal Merlin (CH Guy Begone x Tamarack Sally Q) FDSB registered, trail dog bred.

Glenn Raven's Arwen Agnelia (2XCH Long Gone Nixon x Grouse River Princess) FDSB registered, trial dog bred.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Lots of nice pictures people! I especially like the one of Midwestfisherman's where the dog is on point in front of the pine trees. I guess he was sight pointing or just has a high head?
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:29 am

You know those " stub-tailed " people on another thread must be extremely envious when they look at pictures of Setters! :wink:
big steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 16, 2008 10:08 am

The Brittany is the only breed my dog won't back. I don't fault her either because I can't tell if the dog is on point myself. I think they should have to wear something on their tail in a trial to make it fair for my dog. :wink:

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri May 16, 2008 11:41 am

big steve46 wrote:Lots of nice pictures people! I especially like the one of Midwestfisherman's where the dog is on point in front of the pine trees. I guess he was sight pointing or just has a high head?
No sight point there. He generally points with a high head like that. He was pointing quail in that picture. :)
Image * Image

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Mid, how old is Merlin and how much does Merlin weigh? Sharon, I don't want to say much about the "stub-tails " because K9 is lurking. I remember last year one of the GSP people (boy are they rabid sometimes!) said that it was easier for the female to get bred with a short tail. My reply was that a female in heat would most likely get bred if there was a male there tail or no tail. :roll: :lol:
big steve

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Mon May 19, 2008 11:55 am

big steve46 wrote:Mid, how old is Merlin and how much does Merlin weigh? Sharon, I don't want to say much about the "stub-tails " because K9 is lurking. I remember last year one of the GSP people (boy are they rabid sometimes!) said that it was easier for the female to get bred with a short tail. My reply was that a female in heat would most likely get bred if there was a male there tail or no tail. :roll: :lol:
Steve, Merlin just turned 3. His weight ranges from 47 - 50lbs.
Image * Image

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon May 19, 2008 9:54 pm

big steve46 wrote:Mid, how old is Merlin and how much does Merlin weigh? Sharon, I don't want to say much about the "stub-tails " because K9 is lurking. I remember last year one of the GSP people (boy are they rabid sometimes!) said that it was easier for the female to get bred with a short tail. My reply was that a female in heat would most likely get bred if there was a male there tail or no tail. :roll: :lol:
Big Steve did you happen to see the movie "The Waterboy" with Adam Sandler? His mama was always telling him about the Debil (Devil). Steve I do believe you have the Debil in you, : too :D

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Charles, I would never wish to be called a Rabblerouser, However-----
big steve

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Sun May 25, 2008 7:53 pm

Well Setter group here she is. White River's Fire Lilly

Lilly is just a fun dog to be around. I took her to a cousin's graduation party and she was a real lady. Didn't get into any trouble, was a big hit with all the kids. She was a bundle of joy.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Very very nice pup! Lying on that blanket won't teach her to run deer, will it?
big steve

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Sun May 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Great looking pup SDB!!
Image * Image

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun May 25, 2008 11:47 pm

Nice puppy. If that's the one out of Bo she will make a bird dog if given the chance.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Mon May 26, 2008 8:11 am

Yes Charles, that is her. I drove down there to pick her up despite the price of gas. I wanted to pic one out for myself and meet him. She will be given many chances. I doubt it will take many times for her to get it down. She is smart and very curious, brave as heck to. I believe I got a great dog.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:18 am

Enjoy them while they are little.
They grow up so fast.
Click on the pup and you can see a little slideshow I put together of my last one growing up.

Gary

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 26, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks. Very enjoyable. Also very interesting to see that tail mature.

esetter guy

Post by esetter guy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:09 pm

It's not like this thread needs another reply, but I just can't help myself. I was reading the May/June pointing dog journal the other day and the piece entitled Setter Man just jumped right out at me.
I do consider myself a setter man, that is to say I can't see me being any other way. I have no dilusion of setter greatness, no doubt there are fantastic dogs to be found in all breeds, and I can reconize the short comings of my own dog ( as painfull as it may be ) and as the author put it more or less if I were a better trainer the dogs' faults would not be there. I also think he hit it pretty much on the head in saying " You don't just shoot with a setter, you share profound moments with him."
At any rate it is a nice piece and if you haven't read it and you are a setter man than you should. It originally appeared in Sports Afield in 1975, and is written by Jerome Robinson.

R-Middleton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by R-Middleton » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:49 pm

I have trained about every breed, and in my twilight years I think that I would rather train a Setter more than any other breed.

Ray Middleton

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 pm

That was a nice article. You can't beat the loyalty of a Setter owner, and you can't beat the loyalty of a Setter.
big steve

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 pm

I have a Tekoa bred orange and white setter I got when I was in North Carolina and she was the first dog who really got me to looking at bloodlines and pedigrees as an aid in picking pups. She is 8 now and has finally started to hunt pheasant where I live without trying to push them. Unlike my pointer who works close but fast and slams on points she will point and creep up and then point and creep up until she is certain of her nose. What works well for me is that while she is doing this my pointer will circle around and come back in front of the bird keeping the bird from running too far ahead and usually netting me with a straight up flyer, a close shot and a bird in the bag.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:27 pm

I guess that's what you call Teamwork between two good hunters. It's hard to argue with success. On running roosters, both are doing what they need to do. Congratulations.
big steve

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:09 am

There are some real nice setters in here. I have a GSP as well as my setter. I do believe that I will be staying with the setters for now on. Just my feelings.
Now a more pressing issue is Big Steve. I still don't see any pic's of that setter of yours. Somehow I believe you are holding back on us.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Michael Jobe

Post by Michael Jobe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 am

Here's my Llewellin pup, Bryce, from Lynnhill Setters.

13 weeks old, pictures taken yesterday

~Michael

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Every time I look at these two pictures of Lily, it makes me want to fall asleep along with her.

Englishsetterhunter

Post by Englishsetterhunter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:30 pm

i grew up around setters well i still am growing up around setters my dad has always had them since he was like five and ive always had them i now have a tri color out of grouse ridge setters with alot of dogs in her pedigree are champions her sire is grouse ridge reroy. thier are alotta accomplished field trial dogs in her pedigry. the setters ive hunted over have been great dogs with great instinct to just hunt they never give up when it comes to finding birds and really hunt for YOU not for themselve which i love. i dont remember ever loosing a bird over any of them even at 15 years old one of our setters was still out hunting and i got my first bird over her and she found it pointed it and located it after it had fallen. unfortunitely it was her last bird. also setters really do practically train themselves though a little guidance and alot of birds is needed along with the occasional "NO"!! is everyone heres setter registered with american fields field dog stud book?? i am hoping to compete in trials with the tri color we just got from grouse ridge in some of thier walking field trials (AF)

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:15 pm

SouthDakotaBound wrote:Every time I look at these two pictures of Lily, it makes me want to fall asleep along with her.

ZzzzZZZzzz.... ZzzzZZZZzzzz.... Huh? Wha? Sorry, those pics made me sleepy. :lol:

We always have dogs in the bed. You know the band Three Dog Night? That means it's going to be super cold. One time I was on hold with a HVAC contractor, and their on-hold shameless self-promotional announcement was saying "Eskimos sleep with dogs to keep warm on cold winter nights. You're not an Eskimo."

Well, apparently I am. Who knew? :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Englishsetterhunter wrote:i grew up around setters well i still am growing up around setters my dad has always had them since he was like five and ive always had them i now have a tri color out of grouse ridge setters with alot of dogs in her pedigree are champions her sire is grouse ridge reroy. thier are alotta accomplished field trial dogs in her pedigry. the setters ive hunted over have been great dogs with great instinct to just hunt they never give up when it comes to finding birds and really hunt for YOU not for themselve which i love. i dont remember ever loosing a bird over any of them even at 15 years old one of our setters was still out hunting and i got my first bird over her and she found it pointed it and located it after it had fallen. unfortunitely it was her last bird. also setters really do practically train themselves though a little guidance and alot of birds is needed along with the occasional "NO"!! is everyone heres setter registered with american fields field dog stud book?? i am hoping to compete in trials with the tri color we just got from grouse ridge in some of thier walking field trials (AF)

Sounds like your Dad has given you a wonderful heritage. Grouse Ridge Kennels produces many fine dogs.
Visit some walking trials . Michigan has one the weekend of Aug.9 You'll enjoy yourself

big daddy

Post by big daddy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:43 am

Well Clyde is my first Setter and I have really been impressed so far
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:32 pm

This is the thread that won't die! Seeing as I only have two, I just have to update photo's of the same dogs over and over again. Took some with a panoramic camera yesterday and sent the film off today. Will have it end of next week. been wondering what they would look like in panoramic. Oh no, I did not forget. Here's two of my newest photo's of Squirt and Bodie.

Squirt @12 mos in July

Bodie @ 12 mos in July
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Mntmaniac

Post by Mntmaniac » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:35 am

After two generations of Shorthairs, I got suckered into a Setter... :wink: Out of the Tekoa line and at 8 months, he's showing some real class and ready to hunt this fall.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Mntmaniac wrote:After two generations of Shorthairs, I got suckered into a Setter... :wink: Out of the Tekoa line and at 8 months, he's showing some real class and ready to hunt this fall.

Wow!!! Setter Style!!!!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:35 am

Incredible style for a pup and better style than you see in many broke dogs! Congratulations!
big steve

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Great thread and great pictures guys. Darn heat index is 105 here so not much dog work going on. The next best thing is looking at pictures of y'alls setters. :)