Setter Discussion

big steve46

Setter Discussion

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:26 am

I love all pointing breeds as much as the next person, but I love Setters the most. A good positive thread is in order regarding Setters as some of us may be getting tired of so many GSP and other Offbrand discussions. I have one Llewellin that is almost eleven. He's a tri-color. He's in good shape as he gets plenty of exercise and good Diamond dogfood. What about your Setter or Setters?
big steve

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:58 am

I got an Irish Red and White Setter. I adopted her from right on GDF. She is my second setter. I had an English setter that was a good dog but didn't last too long with me because of space issues.
I moved and now I have plenty of space. The IRWS is a joy to have in the house. She is a young dog but is not all over the place. She is smart as a whip and is taking to training quite readily. Her personality is amazing. She is a cuddler which is big points with the family.
I am definately happy with my setter and I will most likely get another in the future. Hopefully not to distant.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

prairiefire

Post by prairiefire » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 am

Wonderful to hear about your girl. She looked like a real honey of a dog.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:45 am

In the past I trained a number of setters for others but had GSP's and Pointers for myself. Now I have two Setter's, one goes to my son. And another on the way from High Cotton. As I get older the thing that impresses me it that I want a dog easier to work with and I'd forgotten how really easy these guys are to work with. While these guys have plenty of drive, they don't just shoot out on a line. They also seem the be more naturally close working, couple hundred yds or so which I really enjoy. Now I watch the dog all the time rather than part time watch and part time hunt the dog. Setters are not, generally, ruffians. But I did have one years ago that was, it was a Birdwell dog. I'd never own one simply because that dog left a bad taste in my mouth.

The ones I have now are Tekoa Mt/Smith breeding. I really like the Jet Train breeding also. First Setter I trained was a Johnny Crockett son. Super dog!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:28 am

I have two 9 month old orange and white setters. Both littlermates from some Tekoa breeding. Currently both dogs are going through some pigeon work, and some work on an ecollar. This breed is very special to me. Both my dad and his brother inherited this itch for setters from my grandfather who still hunts and trains at 74. Growing up, I always thought that setters (or grouse dogs as I called them) were the only REAL hunting dogs around and anything else was just a dog. Now that I am older, I see why this was the breed of choicefor my family. They never cease to amaze me at how easy to train and how easy they are to love.

Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:27 am

I have seven britts and two setters but this little setter who's name is Jasmine is by far the softist and smartest dog I have. She pretty much trains herself and earned her place in our house.
Birddog 307

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:21 pm

I had many dogs as a kid, mostly hounds and mutts, but the one I loved the most was my llewellin setter. Now that I'm grown and have a family of my own, I have a pair of male llewellins. I've hunted over brittanies and gsp's but never really took to them.

The pup, goofing around in the Angeles National Forest. We weren't hunting that day, but the dogs found birds (California quail) where I thought there would be none.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:00 pm

We have two Ryman/ Old Hemlock Setters. We have a good chance of getting a new pup out of PineCoble Cain. Cains dad is PineCoble Roam who has alot of Old Hemlock line breeding and Briar is in there 3 times. I am really excited I never thought that I would get close to OH.........Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm

After 10 years of enjoying a beautiful GSP, I have recently bought a gorgeous chestnut tri-color setter.

She is currently 9 months old and entering her first AF stake this weekend as a puppy. My trainer usually does not concentrate on the puppy stakes but has a truck full so he is taking her along with others to get her feet wet.

What do those of you know about "Needlepoint" setters? In her pedigree...along with CH Tomoka, CH Brannigan, CH First Rate and CH Blue Smoke, there is a lot of Needlepoint dogs. There is Needlepoint Tomoka, Needlepoint Crystal, Needlepoint Maggie Mae, Needlepoint King's Girl, Needlepoint King. I have not heard of them (like others) and wonder if any of you know of their background/beginnings.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey Ky Grouse Hunter, my Bodie has that same patch as your pup on his right leg. Bodies is on the left! Bodie is strong Tekoa Mt and Smith.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:52 pm

I have been breeding and training pointing dogs for close to 40 years now. The first 30 years I bred mostly pointers. I got interested in Llewellins about 10 years ago and now have 9 of them.

This is Jubal with his summer hair cut.

Charles

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:00 pm

Same here Don! I have a another littermate to him that looks like that dog of yours as well. The dogs are now 9 mo. old.

Here is the other littermate when he was 3 mo. old. He looks more like that dog of yours now.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

richmond_rod

Post by richmond_rod » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:10 pm

This is my first bird dog , Bandit , I went with a Llewellin because I felt it would make a great house dog with enough skill in the field to hopefully overcome my shortcomings as a trainer. He is 6 months old this week . He is out of Lynnhill Kennels , most notable in his pedigree being the grandson of Highway Dan . I have really enjoyed him so far , but he can be a terror , very intelligent but stubborn . He still pees in the house but on the other hand he learned to run on the treadmill in a single afternoon . Go figure !

[img]<a%20href='http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/rodne ... l.jpg'></a>[/img]

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Nice comments and pictures people! Keep them coming. Haven't had a Gordon person yet, have we? Nothin purtier than a Setter! :)
big steve

bnjburgess

Post by bnjburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:40 pm

We have had many dogs over the years but since we've had setters there will never be another breed for us. We have 2 female english setters, they're wonderful hunters and great family pets.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Here is a different color one for ya Steve. 9 mo's old

Pointing huns

A little pigeon work

[/img]Image

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Great lookin' dogs guys! Good thread!!

Your's would look alot better Gary if he wasn't in one of my spots!! Dang locals - think they own the place! :lol:

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:14 pm

Doug,

Shouldn't you be sleeping?

I thought you was running in the trial tomorrow?

Everwhere I go on the hill now I keep falling in the horse tracks. You would think a big young guy like you could at least walk a little.

Regards
Old foot hunter
Gary

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:22 pm

glk7243 wrote:Here is a different color one for ya Steve. 9 mo's old

Pointing huns

A little pigeon work

[/img]Image
Now that's a good looking DAWG.....

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 pm

You would think a big young guy like you could at least walk a little.
If I had dogs like these in this thread I would - I'd look at 'em as long as I could! Better for me though to hustle up to points on horse, flush birds, and get out of there before anybody gets a good look at mine!! :lol: :lol:

That is a good lookin' dog on point Gary for sure!

Sorry 'bout the horse tracks - will drag a rake behind me next time (so you can't find the secret stash of blues!)

Hard to beat these setters for looks on point fellars!!

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:41 pm

I own all EP, but I judged the Egyptian Shooting Dog Derby 2 weeks ago and saw a setter named Erin's Skydancer. That is one heck of a dog. Moves nice, good on game, nice all around dog. She'd look good in any one of my kennel runs. I was quite impressed.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:02 pm

I saw that Erin's Skydancer on the Erin's kennel page.I bet he does cook to be on board with his kenel mates.He's got some "big dogs" to run with in that kennel.I loves me some tri-color setters.Im getting a tricky "bleep",tricky "bleep" Jim line bred female soon.The very first dog I ever had that was my very own was a red,and white english Setter named Susie.I was ten,and that was 30 yrs ago.I can still remember the first time I saw her point,and I walked up with my model 12,flushed a huge covey,and missed 3 times,.I was forever hooked

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:10 pm

DGFavor wrote:

That is a good lookin' dog on point Gary for sure!

!
Yea, but..... you have to take a picture quick cuz she is getting ready to rip em and chase em down the hill barking all the way. I think she has some redbone in her.

Ahh, the joy of young dogs and wild birds.

Regards
Gary

Doug, does Rich have any pups yet?

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:41 am

Gary, nice dog! What's wrong with her tail? It's sticking straight up! Some of us Setter owners aren't used to that. Not usually up this early, but got woke up by the Earthquake!
big steve

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:17 am

The best dogs my dad ever had were setters. I got bit by the bug hunting over them as a teenager. Now at age 62 I've got four of my own.

Jake is about 10 - I don't know for sure cause somewhere over the years I misplaced his records. I got him after keeping him for two years for his owner who was attending school. He's not registered but just keeps getting better and better. I've shot Pheasants, Huns, Sharptails, quail, woodcock and even rabbits over him when birds were scarce. I'm gonna miss him when he's gone.

Which is why I have three other young setters coming along. Two Llewellins and one ????.

The ???? dog is driving me nuts. Licks her kennel all day long to the point of becoming a slobbering fool. Last time out she flushed three pen raised birds without offering to point. She was another freebie.... Oh well maybe she'll settle down. I've had em go almost two years before without catching on.

My oldest Llewellin is doing great and is the easiest dog to handle I've ever owned. She'll be two in June and does the whole thing naturally.

My youngest was whelped Jan 6. He's Jake's replacement, I hope.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

mattj

setters

Post by mattj » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:19 am

pntrrookie

Needlepoint is "bleep" Stroup's stuff. His contact info. is EngsettersRUs@aol.com 724-538-3865 Give him a call. He can tell you all about his stuff and is a fun guy to talk to.

Matt

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 am

The top one is our most current FC, Pudgy.

And the new kid on the block, Buck.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:17 am

Thanks Matt...I will google him and his kennels. Love to research pedigrees. Anyone know if he has a site or picts of his dogs?

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:07 am

Two more setter photo's. First belongs to a guy from Sisters, Ore. He came over to train with me a week or so ago. Dog is a year old and really nice,Tekoa Mt breeding. The second is a re-run of Bodie at nine months. I just like looking at this one of him.

Ben

Bodie

bucktales

Post by bucktales » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Here's my contribution.
Buck (left) and Floyd. Half brothers and both from Bavaria, Germany.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Love this thread
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many great pictures! Glad to see the Gordons made it. Some of the nicest Gordons I've ever seen also. :D
big steve

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Dang it, now you got me thinking! Great looking dogs!

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:41 am

Everyone else put in a picture so I thought I would retread these from an earlier post. I am really proud of her.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:26 am

Here's one of John Ward's Chip.

And one of Tom Vanek's Mason.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 am

This is the only good picture I have left of "Percy". Grandson of Johnny Crockett. He was a really super dog!

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:34 am

Jackie

Jack

Willie Hunter

gspjeb

Post by gspjeb » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:28 pm

last two setters are beautiful....love a setter with a 12 o'clock...very nice

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Here are a couple more pics I took yesterday.

[img][img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/gl ... 010173.jpg[/img]

[/img]

[img][img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/gl ... 010172.jpg[/img][/img]

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Man I love those red dogs. Great looking setters everyone. Let keep this going.

solon

setter pup

Post by solon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:08 am

Here is my setter pup Java on a planted pigeon back in January when she was 9 months old:

Pointing a mourning dove in the brush this spring:

Solon

bucktales

Post by bucktales » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:17 am

Great thread,Guys!
Here's Buck in action.
Interesting how the tail position differs with the Setters posted so far.

47sgs

Post by 47sgs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:54 am

Here are my three dogs. Sadie I hunt with alot, and trial in the off season. I got the two puppies from Minnesota in january. Rawli is now 5 months, and Stoli is just over 4 months. Should make for an exciting hunting season this fall. I'm really looking forward to it.
ImageImageImage[/img]

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:26 am

Couple more Llewellins Sadie on point and Katy retrieving quail

Llewellin01

Post by Llewellin01 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:57 am

Heres my two Llewellins, first 2 are my female Straight Creek's Belle and 8 weeks, then at 7 months. 3rd is my male Ruger Orion Piper, older pic of him i think he was 4 in the picture he is now 6.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:02 am

I bet all the non-Setter people that look at these pictures are extremely envious, if they would admit it! Congrats to all.
big steve

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:12 am

Hey Big Steve
Let's see some pic's of your setter.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:31 am

I don't have any other than in the avatar. I'll work on that.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Steve,

Why would we be envious? Anyone that wants a setter can have one easy enough. I'm just tickled to death that you all have something real pretty that looks a lot like a long tailed Brit. And I'm not envious of that long burr catcher and the heavy feathering outside of the show ring.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:33 pm

glk7243 wrote:Here are a couple more pics I took yesterday.

You've just about run out of neck on that dog for all those collars! :D
Last edited by nj gsp on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.