Re: Setter Discussion

Post by big steve46 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:40 am

I like the looks of both of them there puppies! :P
big steve

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:26 pm

big steve46 wrote:I like the looks of both of them there puppies! :P
Of course you do, Steve - they're setters.
Heck, they could be dipped in tar and rolled in feathers and you'd still love 'em as long as someone told you it was a setter! :lol:

Nice lookin' pups, guys. I have a real soft spot for little tri-colored male setters - met one once at some Petco rescue event (I had no clue it was going on) and he left quite an impression on me. Dang near brought him home, but we had 2 dogs already.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:42 pm

mudhunter wrote:OK heres some picture of my guy Pete, hes a Llewellin that Im real excited about

pointing at a few months old, got to love that tail!
Mudhunter, Whats the breeding on Pete?

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:12 pm

the lines are mostly straight creek, Dashing and Bondhu. I got him from on-point outfitters in Pa.

BellaMorgan

Post by BellaMorgan » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:12 am

Well, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a new pup. She is a 9 week old English Setter named Morgan. We got her from setter hills in MN. Great little pup. Here are some pics from camp this past weekend. The last one is with our 5 year old, Golden. She was extremely not liking the pup for the first week, but now they seem to be hitting it off. FINALLY. The setter follows the golden everywhere.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:04 am

Those are some great looking pups! These are of my new pup Rye.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dіck

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:31 am

Nice looking pups! Gotta love those Setters!.................................Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

BellaMorgan

Post by BellaMorgan » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks for the reply's, we are extremely excited with the results so far

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:05 pm

My 5 month old Lewellin Setter Lily, she is gonna be a great gun dog. She's always around me!!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:40 pm

SDB, Nice pup! Lilly's breeding seems to be a nice mix. My old male is heavy in Bondhu. I think his uncle is Highway Dan. I'm no expert but it seems to be a nice pedigree.
big steve

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:08 am

I don't think I can recall a stronger bond with a dog that I have own besides Lily, it makes a difference she sleeps indoors but, she is just plain nuts. My dad and her have become very good friends as well. Mom thinks she's beautiful and loves her puppy look she gives us when she thinks she's in trouble. I think she's a little turd that gets away with stuff, but she's my little girl!!

brotherbill3

Post by brotherbill3 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Someone mentioned earlier that they were surprised there weren't more Irish (Red) Setters ... This is (or was) Nicholas Peter Red Brandy ... he was my first 'hunting breed' ... although the only thing he hunted were the neighbors caged chickens when he escaped off of his rope. He was a fun dog, but I was too busy to train him to hunt and I didn't even hunt much myself at the time. Nick was a big guy (90 lbs and tall enough to look my Grandpa at 6' tall square in the eyes.) and strong ... I remember him chasing a rabbit ... dragging my mom for over 100' thru the garden ... then she got smart and let go of his rope :roll: . I'll always have a special place for the big red ones ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:32 am

Even though he wasn't trained to hunt, I bet Nick was a good lovable dog. A good dog is a good dog.
big steve

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:20 pm

The Setter Discussion lives on :D

I thought I'd finally introduce our new pup here, named Brodi, 12 weeks old today. Had some time just sitting out here watching the dogs (and couldn't limit the # of pics, so I just threw some collages together of him. I think the only other dog in the photos with him is Jake, our first Llew. This boy is the busiest, most ornery, playful, little rascal we've EVER had, but I know there's naughtier pups out there :wink: . He has a mouth on him that never quits and all the toys in the world, I think, wouldn't keep him from getting into some sort of "trouble." Lucky for us, the girls (read "dogs") love to wrestle with him... he'd go all day doing that. He loves the water, cucumbers, laying on hostas (he's destroyed most of ours by now but it's almost winter...), playing with Harry the stuffed gorilla and various other toys, and the horse. And he's a pro at carrying heavy things, so we've been doing a lot of retrieve play. Jake's his idol and fortunately, warming up to him (physical contact is OK now :roll: ) This monster's a cutie (and actually does have his sweet moments), though, and keeping us entertained. Confident, bold, smart, determined, and friendly. We're really excited about this one. Taking him to the field today, so maybe I'll have more pics to add.

Alrighty... I'll stop the ol' rambling and post the pics :)

(Brief caption, in the 11 wk collage, one pic is of him leaping out of a round flower pot on our patio steps, managing a decent landing... pretty brave of him considering how clumsy he is. Then, riding the four-wheeler with my brother for the second time. And another is him jumping at the Kong we have hanging in a tree- he loves that and will usually take a swipe at it whenever he walks by to the dog trough.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:54 pm

What a good looking pup. I bet he and Rye would tear up the whole farm if they were together!
Dіck

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks "bleep" (dlfl is your name was bleeped out) :D I bet they would have a blast together. Chelsea

Madra Rua

Post by Madra Rua » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:59 am

A few pics of my Setter, Kerry Girl

Madra Rua
Fetch it up

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 am

A couple of real cuties!
big steve

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 am

Kary Girl has the best of homes, hunting and kids!
Dіck

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:09 am

Madra Rua wrote:A few pics of my Setter, Kerry Girl

Well that picture answers the question of whether the dogs hunts for you, or herself! :D

Madra Rua

Post by Madra Rua » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:51 pm

Well at least she lets me tag along :D I think myself its because she is a lousy shot :lol:

Madra Rua
Fetch it up

BigMikeM

Post by BigMikeM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:47 pm

GLK, your red looks a little like Paul Ober's reds from Celtic Farms. Does Katie have any Celtic in her lines?

Madra Rua

Post by Madra Rua » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:36 am

Big Mike, if your post is regarding My setter Kerry Girl, She is not from the kennel you asked about.
I brought her from Ireland. She has celtic blood in her :D just not from the kennel you asked.

Madra Ru
Fetch it up

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Just roaming around in the field!!

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Merlin from our morning hunt

Jack and Merlin. Jack is the same breeding as Merlin (different litter) and is owned by a friend of mine. The dog in the crate is Rowan.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:09 pm

The setters live on!!!

Even though this wasn't a great experience with her first time on pen raised quail it will make some good memories.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am

I'd like some input on a possible breeding with Tekoa Mountain Patriot. PM me if you would prefer. Thanks.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Smokey:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 pm

I couldn't find a rule about posting another forum on here. If I'm in error please delete this post and sorry.

Just an FYI : Very interesting discussion on the Cover Dog forum about all-age setters and their breeding.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bphelps56

Post by bphelps56 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:40 pm

Hidden Creek Reno - Llewellin Setter
IMG_0256Reno640x480.JPG
Bill Phelps
Hidden Creek Kennels
Llewellin Setters
Somerset, KY
hiddencreekkennels@hotmail.com
http://www.hiddencreekkennel.com

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:21 am

I'd like some input on a possible Tekoa Mountain Patriot breeding. PM me if you would prefer. Thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks for all the PMs. Much appreciated.

seniorsetterguy

Post by seniorsetterguy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 pm

I somehow missed this thread for a few months. Here's my handsome English Setter, Gus. He's a two year old tri-colored male. The sire's side is all Mahoney's stuff, going back to I'm "bleep" Too. The dam's side is all Needlepoint/Tomoka, back to Destinaire.

Gus is a good bird finder, a great pal, a fast learner, and very biddable. He's been on wild phez, farm phez, blue grouse, ruffies, sharpies, sage grouse, and huns this year...so far. We're going after chukar in about 10 days. I wish he would retrieve every time. He only does it randomly, when he feels like it. May be a force fetching in his future. I love this dog.

Here are some pics of the handsome dude:

Let's keep this thread going! So refreshing for a mountian west guy where GSPs rule the numbers (nothing against GSPs, guys).

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:44 am

Nice pictures! As I've been known to say, when they see a Setter, no one asks, "Oh, is that a bird dog?" When they see some other breeds of pointing dogs, they don't know what to ask! :lol:
big steve

47sgs

Post by 47sgs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:54 pm

This is my crew of squirrels. Five year old Sadie, 10 mo. old Stoli, and about 8 mo. old Rawli. The puppies have been a blast to hunt with this season. They're learning alot from the experience of wild birds.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Love the dogs 47 sgs, much style.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:41 pm

That Stoli's a nice setter - nice size , lots of motor power.

Michael Jobe

Post by Michael Jobe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:45 pm

This thread has been quiet for too long. Here's some recent pictures of my Llewellin Stinker, Bryce.

~Michael

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Well here is my old girl Reno on some wild blue quail before it got too hot here to take the dogs out.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Very nice! I'm getting a Llewellin pup soon. Hopefully, I can learn to post pictures. :D
big steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Those pics are beautiful - absolutely gave me the shivers. You should be selling those pics to a mag. Thanks for posting.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks Reno is about 8 years old now and is a Tekoa Mountain Sunrise bred setter. I picked her up from a trialer/breeder when I lived in Eastern North Carolina and have raised her from a pup. She has never been on anything but wild birds. She will probably be my last setter as I have developed a great fondness for English Pointers now. I may change my mind as I get older but for now I am a die hard pointer person. It is raining like the great flood here where I live so I will try and get some more pics posted of her on some wild pheasant in the next day or two since the ground will be great for scenting conditions as soon as some of it soaks into the completely dry earth we have here.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:07 am

This is my llewellin Duff, He is a King dog. He is about 6 months old. He is, simply put, a joy! There is not a butterfly or grasshopper that is safe in the yard! I cant wait to get him on some wild birds this fall!

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Here's our newest addition "Remi;" we picked him up yesterday. 8 wks old and taking everything in stride. :D

(He doesn't stay still enough to get a standing pic yet.)

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:50 am

Hi guys, we recently adopted a setter with coloration I have not seen before. He is white of course with a tan color I have seen, but the color that I have not seen is a nearly chocolate brown. Anyone have any idea where it came from? Is there a setter bloodline out there with this color?

He's a great dog, I field trialed him a week after I brought him home and he did a great job.

Thanks!
Shane

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 am

I have seen several Llewellins that were Chestnut tri-colored. Don't know if it's common in E. setters.

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Hey thanks, I took a look around and found several LS that had that coloration. Still have never seen it in an ES, but at least I know it's out there huh?

I really don't care much about it, he's a rescue dog (hunter from Dover Okla. dropped him and 6 or so other great looking setters on a kill shelter, the things people do!) and he handles great so far (despite have eaten something with velcro on it and having to have some serious surgery recently) but people are always asking since he is a bit unusual looking (at least for this part of the country) and he looks nothing like my female blue belton setter.

I think he and I are going to have a lot of fun hunting kansas and west texas and doing a little just for fun trialing with the local club this fall. I am sure I will check back with more photos and hopefully a few birds. .

Here is another photo just for kicks. Been reading this board for a long time, lots of information here. Love to see all the photos.

Thanks,
Shane

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:52 pm

He sure resembles alot of our dogs. Wow, interesting.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Michael Jobe

Post by Michael Jobe » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:11 am

After spending part of yesterday morning looking for grouse on a friend's property, my Llewellin started the afternoon like this

But spent most of the rest of the afternoon like this...

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Wa Chukar Hunter wrote:He sure resembles alot of our dogs. Wow, interesting.

Oh wow! You are not kidding! Ever deal with a man from Dover? HA!

Shane