Setter Discussion

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:42 pm

very nice thread! thanks for sharing all those great pictures of your dogs. they are truely a beautiful hunting dog.

ryan.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:15 pm

nj gsp wrote: You've just about run out of neck on that dog for all those collars! :D
Now that is a fact. Is anyone breeding a dog with a longer neck?

I do not have room for a GPS, and she really likes wearing her Ipod so she can listen to her favorite song ..................OLD RED

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Someone mention Longer neck? This is my Llewellin, Alabama Twister.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:20 pm

highcotton wrote:Someone mention Longer neck? This is my Llewellin, Alabama Twister.

I like him

esetter guy

Post by esetter guy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:13 pm

I'm sure there are ugly bird dogs in this world, but I don't think I have seen them Yet. They all look good on point, but none look any better than a setter.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Setter owners ... stand up and vote!

All this talk about setters, but you folks must really be shy about standing up for these dogs because only two setter owners voted for setters in the "breed owned" poll that's going on right now.

Mark

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:04 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Steve,

Why would we be envious? Anyone that wants a setter can have one easy enough. I'm just tickled to death that you all have something real pretty that looks a lot like a long tailed Brit. And I'm not envious of that long burr catcher and the heavy feathering outside of the show ring.

Ezzy
Envious? You Brit fellas should thank the person that had the orange /white setter in the Brit breeding kennel! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:40 pm

Wyndancer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Steve,

Why would we be envious? Anyone that wants a setter can have one easy enough. I'm just tickled to death that you all have something real pretty that looks a lot like a long tailed Brit. And I'm not envious of that long burr catcher and the heavy feathering outside of the show ring.

Ezzy
Envious? You Brit fellas should thank the person that had the orange /white setter in the Brit breeding kennel! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love britts but never put that one together. Thanks makes total sense now.lol :D

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Wyandancer, You know your stuff! I saw a Brittany a few weeks ago that had not had his tail chopped off. Not a bad looking dog!
big steve

bnjburgess

Post by bnjburgess » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:39 pm

We hunt chuker and pheasant with our setters. The first one is Purdey's Mountain Sage.

This is Mahoney's Major Sobe.

And I had to throw this one in. This was our first hunting dog. Gunwood Abrianna v. Amos

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Just curious, is Amos a Small Munsterlander?

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:31 pm

I have no pictures, but yesterday my pup (16 months) gave his first really classy point. Up to now he has been kind of sloppy, like he just got up off the couch with a beer in one hand and was stricken dumbfounded by what he saw... Well, yesterday he found and locked up on a pair of ducks (yes, ducks; long story), and he looked great, really intense. I had two fantastic looking dogs on the same point. Sure wished I'd had a camera!

bnjburgess

Post by bnjburgess » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:32 pm

WiskeyJaR wrote:Just curious, is Amos a Small Munsterlander?
Yes, Amos was her sire. Her name is Abby. She's from Gunwood Kennels, Jeff Turner. I mostly hunt pheasant with her.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Munsters look kind of like Setters to me. Excuse my ignorance, but how did they come about? What crossings started the breed, and what is the difference between the Small and Large, other than the obvious size?
big steve

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 pm

my understanding is basicly the Large Munsterlanders came from the german longhair pointers, there is lots of debate as to the exact orgins.
The Small Munsterlanders from my understanding, which isnt very much :roll: is a totally seperate breed from the large. The Large are Black while the Small are brown, although I hear browns show up in the Large and blacks show up in the Smalls, niether can be registered, again just my limited understanding.
http://www.lmcna.org/
Both Large and Small came from Munster county in Germany, they are used for both fur and feathers, good in water, pointing and retrivals.

I have a 1yr Large I had from 5 months, very impressed with her smarts. Easyly trained, almost trains me... :wink:

bnjburgess

Post by bnjburgess » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:42 pm

the Small Munsterlander is an old German breed from the 13-14th century. They were used to find, point, track and retrieve upland birds, waterfoul and fur. They are unrelated to the large munsterlander. they are registered with NAVHDa and the Small Munsterlander Club of North America and can be cross registered with FDSB. There's a push for registry with AKC.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Pepper
Last edited by BoJack on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dog On Point!!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Awsome Red Setter pics.They have come a Long Ways since the 70's.Hats Off to the handful of Dedicated breeders that brought them this far.
Dog On Point!!

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:59 am

quick question, do any of you setter guys, especially you southern guys, give your setters a haircut in the hot summer months?
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:18 am

Yes, I do. One of my Gordons has quite a bit of hair so I give him a hair cut 2 or 3 times a year. I bought my own set of electric clippers it takes a few hours when he's really woolly, but it sure saves me some money. The tricky part is getting him to stand still for that long so I have to do it over a couple days or else we have "words".

Invest in the best clippers you can afford. It does make a difference.
Tom

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:58 am

got any pics of your cleanly cut setters?
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Nope, I'll see what I can track down
Tom

SetterGuy

Post by SetterGuy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:28 pm

I cant figure out how to put up pics on this message, but this is our new pup on my avatar. I'll put up a better one when I figure it out because he is such a braggably handsome little pup.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Thats a poster dog alright. The way I post is by loading my pictures onto a host site like photobucket, and then go in under the pictures I want and copy the IMG code for that picture and paste it onto the post.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:18 pm

SetterGuy wrote:I cant figure out how to put up pics on this message, but this is our new pup on my avatar. I'll put up a better one when I figure it out because he is such a braggably handsome little pup.
Beautiful puppy...you couldn't draw better markings on it with a marker. :)

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Beautiful pup! He's got that intelligent look in his eyes. He may be too smart for his owner. :lol:
big steve

BarkRidge

Post by BarkRidge » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:39 am

PowerPoint wrote:I saw that Erin's Skydancer on the Erin's kennel page.I bet he does cook to be on board with his kenel mates.He's got some "big dogs" to run with in that kennel.I loves me some tri-color setters.Im getting a tricky "bleep",tricky "bleep" Jim line bred female soon.The very first dog I ever had that was my very own was a red,and white english Setter named Susie.I was ten,and that was 30 yrs ago.I can still remember the first time I saw her point,and I walked up with my model 12,flushed a huge covey,and missed 3 times,.I was forever hooked
I saw Erin's Setter on birds yesterday along with a setter pup I have.. That is a nice Setter on point. Sean is sending her to be bred with Jack Elliot's Hytest line, I believe to Silverado. He should have a nice litter on the ground this summer. I would not think he would put any up for sale.

My Setter is a cross from Elliot's Silverado with a Pine Cone Max line that is as nice on point as Erin's Skydancer. I have no pictures, when I do, I will post a few.

KY Grouse Hunter

Re: Setter Discussion

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:15 am

I saw Erin's Skydancer run a while back and that is one nice dog. Didn't know that he was headed down to Hytest. Thats a good fit though, they run one of the nicest setter operations in the country down there.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

SetterGuy

Post by SetterGuy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:44 pm

thanks for the vote of confidence Big Steve, although you are probably right we will have to see. :wink:

narrow acres

Post by narrow acres » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Image the best thing about setters is they know how to get comfy. :lol:
raising english setters. ringneck pheasant and bobwhite quail

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:51 am

Diehard Setter guy here as well. These were my first 2 Setters. One at 11 and the other at 11 months.

Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:59 am

My newest Setter is from Berg Brothers. Out of their Jack and Klassy dogs.
Jack

Klassy

At 5 months old she is pointing, holding to wing, backing, and retreiving to hand.
Maggie

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't allow my Setter in the house?
big steve

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:51 pm

Apparently so!

My 4 come into the garage where my computer is located and each one has a porta-kennel they sleep in. It gives me a chance to get personal with each of them every day.

And of course the pup always wants to be under my armpit. :)
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

Llewellin01

Post by Llewellin01 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:36 pm

My two stay in the house. They race to my room at night to see who gets to sleep at the end of my bed.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:40 pm

Not dogs in my house! :D
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Our two are in the house and we would not have it any other way. ............Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:08 pm

I have always had dogs in the house. Squirt and Bodie been in sincw the day I brought them home.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:57 am

My setter and my GSP stay in the house along with my Rottweiller and my daughters Shih tzu. We have a menagerie but they all get along and have there places. I believe that my two birddogs and I have a better bond than if they left in a kennel. Just my belief.
Big Steve still waiting on the pic's of your setter. :mrgreen:
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Yeah, but don't they make your house stink? My real reason my Setter is outside only is because my wife insists on it, and i'm Henpecked for over 40 years. I might as well be honest.
big steve

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Big Steve I would be henpecked to death if they were outside.... :lol: Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:29 pm

I feel your pain with the henpecking. The dogs don't make the house stink however they do get alot of baths to keep it that way. I think the bathing is a labor of love and helps with the bonding. When I get home form a hunt or right now just a run in the woods the get cleaned up before they are allowed in the house.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 am

whitedogone wrote:My newest Setter is from Berg Brothers. Out of their Jack and Klassy dog
Very classy Whitedogone.

Here is my 9 month old Chestnut tri-color, female from Dale Creek Gundogs. "Deuce" goes back to Tomoka and Brannigan...Lot of Needlepoint dogs as well.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:49 am

Nice pup! Why does it have it's paw up? Did it hurt it's foot? :lol: :lol:
big steve

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:06 am

big steve46 wrote:Nice pup! Why does it have it's paw up? Did it hurt it's foot?
Now that you mention it I believe she was "hot-steppin' it", so maybe she felt her paw was too hot to put down. :lol: Thx for the compliment. LOVE this thread!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:52 am

More Llewellins, littermate brothers Olen and Rip

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:41 pm

I have too many Brittanys and one Irish Red and White Setter. Aidan is a love bug. He is also the hardest hunting dog I have ever seen. Raised with a bunch of Brittanys, he thinks he has to keep a pace of Mach 9 all the time, being about as busy as any bird dog can be. My only regret is that he is not allowed to compete in any AKC field trials just yet....he is a bona fide shooting dog if ever there was one. I wish AKC would get off their butts....he isn't getting any younger!!! Aidan just turned 3 in March. He is about as stubborn and as IRISH as they come and has been a challenge for hubbie to get broke. But he is broke and a BLAST to hunt behind!!! He is just too smart for his own good! I'm thinking of either putting him with Dave Hughes, a pretty renowned cover trial pro or offering him up for sale to a home that will hunt him and love him and let him be king of the castle.. He just isn't getting what he deserves here while we await AKC sanctioning into the FTS....Image

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Kiki's Mom wrote:I have too many Brittanys and one Irish Red and White Setter. Aidan is a love bug. He is also the hardest hunting dog I have ever seen. Raised with a bunch of Brittanys, he thinks he has to keep a pace of Mach 9 all the time, being about as busy as any bird dog can be. My only regret is that he is not allowed to compete in any AKC field trials just yet....he is a bona fide shooting dog if ever there was one. I wish AKC would get off their butts....he isn't getting any younger!!! Aidan just turned 3 in March. He is about as stubborn and as IRISH as they come and has been a challenge for hubbie to get broke. But he is broke and a BLAST to hunt behind!!! He is just too smart for his own good! I'm thinking of either putting him with Dave Hughes, a pretty renowned cover trial pro or offering him up for sale to a home that will hunt him and love him and let him be king of the castle.. He just isn't getting what he deserves here while we await AKC sanctioning into the FTS....Image
You could send him my way and I'd put him on quail all season long. Just one question...What is an Irish Red and White Setter? WDO

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:18 pm

A Brief History of the Irish Red and White Setter (continued)

There are records of all red dogs in kennels at the end of the 18th century. Most authorities are of the opinion that the all red dogs came from breeding white and red dogs that had increasing amounts of red.

During the 19th century, the red dogs started establishing themselves in ever greater numbers until they eventually became the predominant variety. In the middle of the 19th century, conformation shows were established and the flashy all red Setter took the world by storm. By the late 19th century, it was difficult to find a white and red setter in the show ring, although there are reports of them being shown until WWI in the United States.

WWI brought great hardship to the people of Ireland and their dogs. The number of white and red Setters had declined to nearly zero. Anna Redlich credits Rev. Noble Huston of Ballynahinch, County Down, to saving the line and gradually building up the numbers. With the aid of his cousin, Dr. Elliott, he was able to slowly bring back the breed. Dr. Elliott lived in a house named Eldron, and that prefix is in the names of dogs bred in the 20's and 30's. The Rev. Huston did not keep official pedigrees, but did record his litters in the parish register. Although most of the dogs were kept in Ireland, a single dog was sent to the United States, two to Spain and several to England. There were other breeders in Ireland during this time, but their contribution to the current lines are not recorded.

The next important players in this story are Mr. and Mrs. Will Cuddy. In 1940, Mrs. Maureen Cuddy (nee Clarke) was given a sickly puppy bitch. She nursed the puppy to health and called her puppy Judith Cunningham of Knockalla. It is highly probable that every recorded IR&WS today is descended from this bitch. The Cuddys were instrumental in forming an IR&WS group in Ireland and gaining recognition of the breed. Mrs. Cuddy carried on a lengthy correspondence with the aging
Rev. Huston and is responsible for researching and preserving much of the early 20th century history of the breed. In 1944, the Irish Red and White Setter Society was formed in Ireland.

Between the end of WWII and the early 1980's, the Irish slowly built up the numbers of what became officially known as Irish Red and White Setters. The breed spread to England. Both the Irish Kennel Club and the Kennel Club came to recognize the IR&WS as a breed separate from the Irish Setter.

The IR&WS again came to the United States in the 1960's with the import of a few dogs by a couple of individuals. In the 1980's, breeding pairs were imported and the gradual increase in the IR&WS population began. Since that time, several other imports have arrived and an unhurried breeding program has resulted in approximately 500 dogs populating a wide area of the U. S. and Canada.

To date the American Kennel Club has failed to recognize the Irish Red and White Setter. Other
U. S. registries, such as the Field Dog Stud Book, do recognize the breed. In Canada, the CKC accepted the IR&WS to full
recognition in May of 1999. The IR&WS is a favorite among international competitors.

The Irish Red and White Setter Association is a national organization promoting the continuance of the breed. The IR&WSA has structured its' organization to comply with the requirements of the AKC in an effort to gain AKC recognition, provide a democratic voice by the membership and promote the IR&WS as a family, sporting and conformationally correct dog.

©1997 Charles A. Petterson, all rights reserved
©1997 IR&WSA, with permission

Irish Red & White Setter Association Inc..
Copyright © 2008 by IRWSA Inc.. All rights reserved.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 pm

As an addendum to that lil bit o history, in June of last year, the IRWS was admitted to the MISCELLANEOUS CLASS by the AKC. IRWS are able to show in the MISC class in dog shows ( for NO pts toward a bench Championship title) and are recognized as a breed waiting in que for acceptance to the AKC Sporting breed group. IRWS are able to compete in the show ring, hunt tests and all performance events such as agility and obedience but do not as of yet have sanctioning to compete in the AKC field trials.