Females or Males???

SouthDakotaBound

Females or Males???

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:08 am

Which do you perfer and why? I do like female hunting dogs better I think they listen better. What do you think?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:22 am

I have found they all have ears but none of them work well at times. There isn't any real sex oriented difference, its just what you like. You have already decided you want a female so it makes no difference what anyone else likes. You will find that most people like one or the other but more likely both. They are all birddogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:39 am

Hmmm no one told a couple of my females they were supposed to listen better then my males

they both mark except females don't hike..well wait we have a female that will hike and piss on the bottom of a tire after another dog had just gotton through marking it

the female have heat cycles and if you gonna spay or neuter whats the difference

i like a good bird dog....and gender doesn't make that the breeding program does
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GL

Post by GL » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:56 am

I like females but that could just be something in my jeans or is it genes.

I don't think one or the other gender listens or hunts any better.

I do feel that females, at least in my experience, don't have the wander lust that many males seem to possess.

I also think the basic instinct of nurturing places a female well above the male in my opinion. I can think of alot of things Pro & Con about each gender but my last four dogs have all been females and I am perfectly happy with them.

I do find the stature of a solid and confident male dog to be very appealing when he is strutting his stuff and being a dog.

Gary

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:09 am

I prefer females, but I own a male. Male's don't have puppies. EVER. I hold my dogs to the same standard I hold my self to when it comes to reproduction, leave it to the professionals.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:32 am

To me it depends on what your doing with them.For hunting I dont think it matters.My females have been as hard headed at times as the most alpha male.If I was going to invest in a trial dog to Campaign I would think a male would be the best investment.You will have alot of money invested to bring your dog to CH level,and I would think you would get alot bigger return in stud fees,as opposed to a female that could only have 8 -10 litters tops if she had 50 pups at $500 thats 25,000 before expenses on litters.If your male bred 20 females a year for 8 yrs thats 160 total at $ 500 a breeding thats $80,000 dollars....You do the math..

owen

Post by owen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:43 am

Call me sexist, but I would take a male any day over a female. I mainly produce one or sometimes two litters a year and take the top two to four picks out of each litter to start. I sell started dogs so I always have the opportunity to compare littermates. When I get them to the 14-18 month age my males are routinely a month or more ahead of the females in training. The males are less tempermental, more biddable and are not testing me at every opportunity. I train far more females because everyone has this notion that females are easier to handle, train, hunt, whatever. I believe the opposite is true.
If I could only own one dog it would definitely be a male.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:06 pm

We own all females and I don't think we'll ever own a male. I enjoy working with the females and you don't have to put up with them marking their territory, your tires, neighborhood kids, etc.

Plus, I prefer smaller dogs so females are a bonus there as well.

Streenie79

Males Or Females?

Post by Streenie79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Males and females both have their negatives.....female heats, males marking everything in sight and wanderlust....

I prefer females, and I think it is mostly for the same reason "GL" mentioned....On average, I think the female of any given species has a nurturing instinct that is quite different from the male. (No sexism here... just a difference in the sexes.) From what I've seen, I think this translates into a female dogs being a more eager to please, and maybe a bit more biddable and easily trained (again that's on average...I've had a number of hard-headed females! :roll: ). As for actual hunting ability, I would guess there's no real difference, although I've noticed that it seems to take a young male (intact) a little longer to settle in to a working gun dog agenda.

If you were only investing in one or the other to make money, I don't think there's much doubt. The math doesn't lie....the male would have it, hands down.