Stolen Dogs?

grant
GDF Junkie

Stolen Dogs?

Post by grant » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:58 am

Has anyone ever had a dog stolen from them and do most people put a lock on their dogs kennel?

Grant

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:32 pm

YES!... but not for a long time. I had one stolen at the vet's office actually, many years ago, and had a couple stolen from home over the years. I can't lock them all up so the one's most likely to bite are the one's outside. That and the fact that we don't put a sign on the highway or advertise our exact location seems to have greatly limited the likely opportunities in recent years. Also our Kennel now sits right in front of our home and it is very rare for one of us to not be here at all times.

On top of that there are signs posted that make it very clear that trespassers and theives can and will be shot and what ever is left will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Fortunately Texas still recognizes the rights of home/land/property owners to defend their property. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

raven

Post by raven » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:22 am

I have never had one stolen but I did have a micro chip put in my dog that is checked everytime he gos to the vet. There is also supost to be checks at all vet across the country with all new dog brought in also at Pounds and Humane sociteys to help find stolen dogs. I thought it was a good Idea

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:23 am

Some of my dogs are chipped and all the kennels are locked. If not to protect them from being stolen, it's to protect them from one of them who knows how to lift the latch, release herself and then open the rest of the kennels for everyone to run!

ladylabtrainer

Post by ladylabtrainer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:26 pm

How dog's live in the house, but just in case they are out in the yard and the gate gets left open on someone comes in, we had them microchiped. They are checked every time they go to the vet. I live in Texas and I know about the law of protecting ones possessions.

Wireviz_lady

scan

Post by Wireviz_lady » Wed May 05, 2004 9:51 pm

Some one gave me the great of idea of micrcochipping and then putting a leg tattoo saying "scan me". I like it and am going to have my microchipped dogs tattooed also.
Bec

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri May 07, 2004 8:30 pm

We're in the process of chipping all our dogs now. We also tattoo their left inside ear, and put the same tattoo directly on their papers at the same time. Those two things alone will help you a lot, but We're actually pondering putting a freeze brand on the outside of one ear of each dog we keep as well to "discourage" any more theft in the future. If you chip your dogs, be sure and put name plate collars on them and have your phone number, and either "Avid" or "chipped" or even the avid registration put it as well.

Nothing quite as heartbreaking as a disappeared dog that is part of your family and a huge investment as well be it lost or stolen. CR

Wireviz_lady

tattoos

Post by Wireviz_lady » Fri May 07, 2004 9:15 pm

Actually it is better to tattoo on the inside of thier hind leg than an ear. People that steal dogs for puppymill or research situations have no qualms with cutting off a tattooed ear. They think 2ce about taking the leg. Just something to think about.
Bec

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sat May 08, 2004 6:44 pm

You have a point there, but the type tattoo rig we use is something like a pair of pliers and it would be difficult to say the least to tattoo them anywhere else other than perhaps the flank. They you get into the problem of the Tat's not being legible due to hair etc.

Unfortunately you could paint your phone number in three inch numbers on their ribs and it wouldn't deter some... .