Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 44

gar-dog

Beepers

Post by gar-dog » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Up in unfamiliar territory this weekend, I was reluctant to drop the check cord. I hadn't thought much about a beeper, but all of the sudden thought I should consider this when getting a collar.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 pm

I voted Yes, but not so much anymore after purchasing a Trakker this past Winter. I used the Trakker with a bell after it arrived, through January and February and will likely use the Beeper function a lot less in the future, if at all.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:56 pm

If you get a beeper, likely you already know enough to get one you can turn off and on remotely.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 pm

My favorite beeper mainly because it is simple, cheap and tough as nails is the Cabellas. But does not turn on remotely. That would be nice
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

jcbuch

Post by jcbuch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:54 pm

With the color of my dog, in tall cover a beeper is a must. Use tritonics with remote on and off.

Joe

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:58 am

We had the kind that you could not turn on with the remote for a couple of years and it was alright. last year we got the TriTronic with remote LOVE it!!!!

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm

High Voltage wrote:last year we got the TriTronic with remote LOVE it!!!!
Agreed

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:07 pm

I use the tritronics also, but they are old and don't have the remote on/off. Other than that I like them. They have saved me from losing a dog on point in heavy Crp grass more than once. They have also allowed me to bag a few more birds because of that also. :D

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:02 am

We use the Tri-tronics beeper collars. I am considering going to the Garmin GPS tracking system. I like the idea of where it will tell me exactly where the dog is, and it also will tell me if the dog is on point. I like the idea of hunting silent. I offer member discounts on Tri-tronics, Dogtra beeper collars. I also offer a member discount on Garmin and Tracker tracking systems. If you are interested in any prices e-mail me at mark@coonriverkennels.com

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:49 am

I just ordered a new TriTronics Pro200G2EXP with an extra collar and two accessory beepers. I have been using the TriTronics Upland Special since they were introduced, and I was using the Innotek 1600 T&T before that. The reason that I didn't get a new Upland Special is because the beeper activator button is on the back of the transmitter, so it is hidden by the holster. According to TriTronics, I am the first person to complain about the location of the beeper button.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:53 pm

wannabe wrote: The reason that I didn't get a new Upland Special is because the beeper activator button is on the back of the transmitter, so it is hidden by the holster. According to TriTronics, I am the first person to complain about the location of the beeper button.
w,

As you may know there are at least two companies making holsters for the Upland Special with an opening in the back so you can reach the beeper activator button without removing the transmitter from the holster.

That doesn't change the fact that the activator button in the back may be awkward for you.

I don't sell 'em I just happen to use an Upland Special myself.

Mark

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:59 pm

The Tri-Tronics holster does not have the hole in the back, and I think it is a foolish place for a button anyway. With the Pro200G2, I just turn the knob on the top of the transmitter to "A" and hit any stimulation button to activate the beeper.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

fitchjr

Post by fitchjr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:38 pm

I voted no, because, I dont have one yet. I plan on getting one some day but not just yet. I have hunted with dogs with them and like em alot but have not put up the money yet for my own.

gspjeb

Post by gspjeb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:36 am

personally would not hunt without one. For me, I end up hunting on cut up pieces of land and I need to know where he is most of the time. I have the old fashioned one from Dunn's that has lasted for 10 seasons.

Buford Boone

Beeper, no. GPS, Yes.

Post by Buford Boone » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:39 pm

I bought the Tritronics beeper. Even at the lowest setting, it hurt my ears. I know lots of folks use them but I didn't want to subject my dog's ears to it.

I got the Garmin Astro and am happy with it.

This is not a slam on Tritronics. I wouldn't trade my Tritronics E-Collar for anything else. They are a great company making great products. The beeper is just not for me.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:48 am

I agree it's loud up close. I worry about it affecting the dogs hearing so I usually try to run it silent, in point only mode. It is amazing though, in heavy cover with some wind noise, how quickly the beeper becomes faint to the hunter/trainer as the dog ranges further out.

I do like the idea of hunting silent with a GPS or Tracker. That's what I'll get next.

jcbuch

Re: Beeper, no. GPS, Yes.

Post by jcbuch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:40 am

Buford Boone wrote:I bought the Tritronics beeper. Even at the lowest setting, it hurt my ears. I know lots of folks use them but I didn't want to subject my dog's ears to it.
Most people will put a cotton ball in the beeper to reduce this noise. I agree even a low setting it is very loud. Not bad with cotton ball though

Joe

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:07 pm

You are correct, Joe. I believe the manual even says to put a cotton ball in it.

I tried that and still thought it to be too loud.

I do know lots of people that use, and like, them. For me, the GPS works well and I don't have to worry about her ears.

grousehunter08

beeper

Post by grousehunter08 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:06 am

I like to use a beeper on my dogs but i typically will only use the point only mode that is availible on the dogtra T&B modle colar i have. I hate hearing that beeper going off all the time and I really dont like those bells ringing all the time

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 am

I use my beeper on my Tri Tronics 70 6 dog all the time. I like it because it is only turned on remotely if I am missing a dog. The dial on top is more user friendly. I feel this unit is better than my 500 model which has the button on the back. Wannabe was not the only person to complain about it. I talk to them often at Tri Tronics. I use the tone feature all the time and like to my transmitter on my belt. The button would have been better left on top like the xls midels that preceeded the g2. I use my ecollars everyday and I do not like having to hold it in my hand to be able to make quick corrections while training.
Birddog 307

levie

Post by levie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:12 pm

I run a Lovetts beeper on one dog, and the other dogs i use bells.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:30 am

I hunt with horseback shooting dogs, often in heavy cover. Call me a "belt and suspenders" man, but I use my Garmin Astro GPS in conjunction with a 10 yr old Sonic Sport beeper (they are indestructible).

My frequent hunting partner uses a Tritronics beeper, so the difference in tone makes things a bit easier.

Hearing the beeper makes allows leaving the GPS in my pocket until I need it.

The Sonic with its lower tone is easily heard to 200 yds even with my aging ears, and perhaps to 300 yds under ideal conditions (high humidity and a gentle breeze towards me). I will admit the Tritronics is louder, but I sometimes have trouble telling direction with one, and have been wrong by 180 degrees on a couple of occasions.

Another hunting partner of mine who is ten years my senior agrees on these points, and joins me in lamenting Sonic's demise.

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I used a bell for years. Last year I got two DT Systems remote trainers (two collars, one controller), which just happened to come with beepers. After the first few months, I found that I almost never used the shock collars, only occasionally used the pagers, but I use the beepers all the time. I use them in "find" mode, where it only beeps when you push the button on the controller. It also has a point mode, but I haven't used that yet.

The sound is not very loud to the dog wearing the collar. (I tried it out wearing the collar myself, along with the pager and shock, just to see what the dog's experience was like.) The beeper points away from the dog's head and thus does not sound very loud to him. If both dogs are together, though, the one next to the active beeper is not happy.