Makes me wonder....

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 am

I'm with ya Markj on the horses. Although, if you are the person I saw with the motorcycle trailer thread--it looks like you just got a horse or two. Oddly enough, growing up, I lived on a TN Walker breeding farm. Mom still has 2 old mares and 2 stallions. Anyway, I had to get up at 5:30am--an hour and a half before the bus came--so I could feed and pick stalls. Then, when I stepped off the bus........it was back to the barn again. Took all the fun out of it and totally resented horses by the time I was mid-20's. Have 2 TN Walkers and a pony now, but they're out in the pasture with a round bale...........so I pretty much have no chores:)

Where is Crescent in Iowa? We are on the extreme east side of the state, about 35 miles from the Quad Cities. Have 1 lab mutt and 1 gsp pup.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:55 am

I am across from Omaha. the TWH fell thru so I am not really looking. Got some feeders coming in this week they will be hard enuff to feed since everyone is now into corn.

Our great Govt took away the killers so that isnt an option, then got us into ethanol so heavy they will soon be no hay to feed the horses, then what? I saw adds for free horses on the bulliton board at the feed store. Price out pellit hay too, is going up and up.

Feeders I can use the disstellers grain to feed em with hay I got.

Dad had race horses, like 35 to 40 ata time. I got so tired of horse poo....
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ssjetset

Griffgirl

Post by ssjetset » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:09 am

Griffgirl,you can tell me about your Griff anytime, by the way, I'm heading up Tues. to open my cabin for the year, I know you live in Lena How is the snow cover up there, my place is west of Crivitz 10 miles.

Also take a look at uplandjournal .com lots of Wis folks and lots of breeds there, not that I'm putting down this site, there both very good.

Bill

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:35 am

heck there is a TON more Griff talk then Large Munsterlander talk. But what the heck, what works for an GSP or a GRIFF will also work for a L.M. so I continue to read and learn :)

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:08 am

Griffgirl,

As someone who hunts and competes in all-breed trials with Weimaraners, I can understand your mistaken impression that all any one cares about is pointers/brittneys/gsps/etc. It's tough being the odd man out.

Until you beat them in competetion :P

A good dog is a good dog is a good dog. And I learned that from the 'other' breed folks. A bit of teasing and razzing is normal (life would be boring without it!), but I learned to train, handle and judge from the 'anti-weim' crowd. They always came to shake my hand when I won a stake, or to console me when I screwed up royally. There is no way in heck we could have gotten as far as we have in our breed had we stuck to the 'weim only' crowd. And when we won the National Amateur Field Championship, guess who called to congratulate us? The pointer/brittney/GSP/setter/GWP/vizsla folks. A local pointer cub even honored us at their banquet and we aren't even members! The weim folks remained oddly silent.

Go talk Griff talk on a Griff-only forum. But if you want to learn about hunting dogs, stick with the pointer/gsp/brittney crowd. You and your dog will be better for it.

Aline

http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 am

markj wrote:Whats A Griff? :)
.....noone wants to talk about my dog
Please tell me about your dog. I love em all but do own a few GSPs.

I prefer the short hair these dogs have. When I was a kid I had to comb the springers Dad kept before I got to eat, and I do like to eat sooo the head shrink explained why I hate combs and keep my own hair so short...... :)

Lets not go into horses,,,,, had to muck the stalls before I could slap a porterhouse on the grill for breakfast...... hate them horses......
If your going to Quote someone please use the whole quote.I dont want advice on my Griff.Hes trained rather well :D Not in one of my post's in a year did I ever ask a question on training my dog.I dont care if someone replies to my post or picture.

This whole thread was about the way SOME of you treat new people.Please go back and read some of the old post.2 days ago some one asked about dog food and EZZY answered it with GO BACK AND READ THE POSTS.So the guy writes back and apologized for asking the question.Is it right ... NO.

Who cares how many times someone asked the same question thats what this forum is for not just for a few to blah,blah, blah about how great there dogs are.Everyone should be welcome to ask anything need it be a Griff,Lab or V.

When I put the comment about Ezzy and his dog backing he had to defend himself right away.So how does it feel to be on the defensive?Thats the way alot of NEW people feel,they have to defend the question or post they make.

Look at how many guest there are and when one has enough ba**s to post something they always start out by saying...... "now I dont want any chest thumping or neg answers but please just answer my question"

Read the post that are made before making some dumb comment 3 pages into the post.Alot of the post start from FF a dog and 3 pages into it someone picks something out and then it goes way off wak and has nothing to do with the thread that was started.....Focus....Some are just way to fast to jump down NEW peoples throat.

3 pages ago this is what Ive been saying and someone jumps in,doesnt finish my quote and now we are onto "noone wants to talk to me about my dog".....WOW.I know I have a good dog and dont need reassurence from anyone.

So now do we get it?because I have to agree this is like pulling teeth to get someone out there in GSP world to GET what Ive been trying to say.Just be nice and treat people like you want to be treated.Not like a bunch of no-it-alls.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:10 am

griffgirl

I'm a newbie here and I don't have GSPs. And I have no idea what you are rambling on about.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

ssjetset

Post by ssjetset » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:14 am

griffgirl, I feel your pain, hows the snow cover up there?

Bill

whiteruger

Post by whiteruger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:13 pm

:( This is a pretty ruff forum, They jump all over me when I post a question like I am stupid or something I don't come to this site much anymore. Maybe every 2-3 months, maybe I am to sensitive but I just find a lot of them on here are not that nice about helping :( Just imoo.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:31 pm

When I put the comment about Ezzy and his dog backing he had to defend himself right away.So how does it feel to be on the defensive?Thats the way alot of NEW people feel,they have to defend the question or post they make.
Griff girl, it feels very comfortableto tell you the truth. Was so nice to have you comment about my dogs backing different than a Grif. Made me proud that my pup backed instantly instead of turning into a classic pose.

I do think some people can feel intimidated coming on here but they will feel that way joining any group till they see that they are part of the community. There are people who do not have a lot of tac when they post and some have so much they won't tell you thr truth for fear of hurting your feelings. But that is life and I don't know how you expect us to control that.

Since I have been singled out for critizism I would like to ask you to go back and read what was posted. As I remember Charlie posted something that I wasn't aware of and my post asked if he could show us the research to back up his claim. Didn't believe then and don't believe now that that was the least bit out of line if you are interested in learning something new. When he didn't produce any material other than an ad from a small food company I said he couldnt use that as fact. I still believe that. And since most everyone agrees through experience and research that what he claims is not true I will have to admit that I made a point of saying so here on the forum so we wouldn't have new people accept what he said as fact and then get in trouble because they believed it to be.

Sorry we all offended you so and it would behoove all of us to be as kind as we can when posting but none of us including you should allow mis-information to stand without a challenge because you might hurt someones feelings. And it makes no difference if they are old or new people. If we are to learn we have to read, listen, and sometimes challenge or we are wasting our time.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:51 pm

GG,

I understood your point from your first post and I'll add some of my own thoughts. Sometimes when a question is asked the poster doesn't always choose the best words to express what they intend to ask. So when we read a question if it's not crystal clear we should ask a couple of clarifying questions or restate the question to see if we understand it correctly instead of jumping to conclusions.

As you have noted not everyone who posts is very good at choosing their words very carefully. I think all of us, if we bothered to try, could be more careful about choosing our words. "I'm too busy to be helpful "AND" thoughtful IMO is a poor excuse.

Constructive education is not the same as criticism. Thinly veiled criticism is often sold as "challenge".

On the other hand some posters on this site are so knowledgeable I will make the excuse for them that it is difficult for them to remember anymore what it would feel like to be a newbie asking a question. So I think often they do not have any idea how their post makes someone else feel. However, no one likes to be humiliated in public.

One piece of advice: Praise in public, criticize in private (one good use for PMs). As for me personally, my skin gets thicker by the post and this advice is worth what was paid for it ... :wink:

Mark

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Makes me wonder....

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:25 pm

griffgirl wrote:Alot of the times I come on here and it seems only the GSP,Britts and some pointers are the only breed that matters.Here I was thinking this was a GunDog forum to talk about all breeds.You guys seem to be stuck on yourselves and your breeds ........ :roll:
So now do we get it?because I have to agree this is like pulling teeth to get someone out there in GSP world to GET what Ive been trying to say.Just be nice and treat people like you want to be treated.Not like a bunch of no-it-alls.
Good lord. The first quote is your starting thread in it's entirety--thank you very much. The second quote is the last paragraph of your last reply. Maybe we wouldn't have 5 pages if you had been CLEAR what your gripe was in your original post. It seems to have evolved with your every post. Mark J was trying to be nice, as have others, and you bit his head off. So you are a real friendly poster too then, huh!

As a newbie, I can definitely relate to some of the regulars seeming like "grumpy old men". I've seen people be somewhat belittled on a thread. My reply was that if the poster didn't want to do better--they wouldn't be here--so help 'em out. And I can't figure out either, why there would be a forum if it wasn't to ask questions........sometimes repetitive. After all, any answer anyone has could be answered somewhere else.........maybe after hours of research. Maybe those of us that see those "button pushing" posts need to step in and remind the posting person to play nice. I was with you, until it seemed like you took it to the gutter too. So please feel free to paint everyone with a gsp with your broad brush again. Evil gsp owner (for a whole 9 months), lab owner (for 11 years), and former collie owner (for 20+ years)

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:32 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I'm afraid that I "don't get it".

Greg J.
I'm with you Greg.

GG, Let me see if I can understand. You're feelings are hurt because you have a less popular breed of dog and it isn't discussed as much. You also think the "old-timers" are too hard on the newbies? Well, I'm very new here. I've never felt unwelcome or that anyone has been rude. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your original post sounds like the whining of a spoiled child. :roll:

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:02 pm

I second that!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Ok guys and gals,

We have pretty much covered this subject so lets get back to talking dogs.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:36 am

AHGSP said:
Charlie has a pretty broad range of experience, as he should, he has been in dogs longer than many on this board have even been around.

How old is Charlie?

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:42 am

Maybe griff owners don't know as much, therefore can not offer assisstance to other dog owners?Maybe they are to stuck-up to post?Maybe they are out training their dog? Maybe they are loners?

Listen, no matter what breed you have it is still (almost) the same training.
Who cares what breed gives the info?

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:08 am

Griffgirl, so many new trainers want a cookie cutter method for training dogs, want to be told whatever it is they have done to be just great, and want their dog addressed specifically. Where there is no cookie cutter method, and as many methods as there are breeds, there are some universal truths in dog training. Please know that if you have a specific question on your dog you can get an educated experienced answer on this board. Most on this board own GSPs, Brits, and Pointers, few own Griffons. However, starting a Griff pup ain't a whole lot different than starting any other breed. So, same methods work on all breeds. However, training methods are altered with each dog within each breed.

Often, new people do ridiiculous things in an effort to train their dog. They stumble along thinking they are training, when they are purely ingraining bad habits or causing major problems with their dog. Everyone these days is forced to be politically correct in most arenas. Dog trainers as whole get along better with dogs than they do with people. Where you may feel attacked, most times the dog trainers will tell you like it is, won't candy coate an answer, to coat a new person's fragile ego. Thank God I was told how stupid I was being on my first trial dog, or he'd be a 25 yard, wing pointing, flagger. Instead he's a FC AFC and has had literally thousands of dove, quail, ducks, pheasants, chickens, and sharpies, killed over him.

Leave your ego at the door and learn from those who can help you. Or, buy Gun Dog and do it yourself. I will guarantee you will then have one of two extremes in dog quality.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 am

If you dont like whats on TURN THE CHANNEL.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 am

If your going to Quote someone please use the whole quote.I dont want advice on my Griff.Hes trained rather well Not in one of my post's in a year did I ever ask a question on training my dog.I dont care if someone replies to my post or picture.

This whole thread was about the way SOME of you treat new people.Please go back and read some of the old post.2 days ago some one asked about dog food and EZZY answered it with GO BACK AND READ THE POSTS.So the guy writes back and apologized for asking the question.Is it right ... NO.
Geez try to be nice....... I will hereafter ignore you. I wasnt offering any training tips, was interested in hearing about your dogs accomplishments. No longer tho. Have a good day.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:23 am

I just love the way you guys can all take a hint. I have dogs like that also.

Ezzy