Looking for a Brit Pup

SD Pheasant Slayer

Looking for a Brit Pup

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I've been working hard at convincing my future Father-in-law to allow me to get my fiance a Brit pup for her wedding present. He own's the house we'll be renting come May and was reluctant to allow three dog's in the house (she has an adopted Yorkie and we've got a deposit down on a shorthair for this spring). She's always loved the Brits and I love pretty much any dog, especially those that hunt. Her father has finally relented and I am now hoping to find a pup in the next couple months (I know, I know - this process should have been started a long time ago). I spent over a year researching before I settled on the Shorthair pup that will be picked up this spring (out of Top Gun Kennels in IA), but have been handcuffed, until now, in pursuing a Brit.

Does anyone know of a reputable breeder in the Midwest with a litter of pups timed to go home early this summer (I'm not too picky regarding when I can pick it up, but I'd like to have the litter and possibly the pup picked out come wedding day, May 17th)

The dog will be hunted heavily on Pheasants, but probably won't do the games (unless I fall into some money in the immediate future, in which case, I might participate in some HT) I'm looking strictly at females and she'll live in the house with the female shorthair and male Yorkie.

Price isn't a huge issue - I'd like to stay in the $500 range or lower. I'm not looking for a super star, just a well bred dog that I can shoot some birds over and that will compliment the shorthair both in the field and around the house. If anyone knows of a young dog in a shelter or rescue, I would consider that as well, I'd love to take a dog out of a bad situation and put it in a great one. The shorthair will be my prize dog - the brit will be a pet first, hunter second.

I sure would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:25 pm

I have a litter due the forth of April if that would help you. If you look at the pedigrees at the bottom of this post, those are the sire and dam. PM me if you are interested. They should be excellent pups with potential for any venue you would put them in.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:23 pm

PM Sent. Anyone else have any help/information! Sure appreciate the help and possibilities provided by Ezzy.

4dbird

Post by 4dbird » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:45 pm

"Rush To Excellence" is one of my top ten all time favorite names for a dog.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:35 am

You might do a search for the brittany listserve. There are lots of breeders on there and they usually know what litters are available and where.

Lots of folks have opinions of what lines are good and what are bad. I think the best advice I have been given is tell the breeder you will pay for some birds and go to a preserve. For one you will see how the dogs really do in the field. Dog owners are always proud of their dogs and often times they have a good reason to be proud. But form your own opinion of what their dogs are cabable of and the personality of the dogs. I think you will be able to find a well bred brittany that can have the personality and hunting traits that you desire without a problem using this method. If at all possible see if you can see both parents hunt. One other thought is go to some field trials, not that you want a trial dog or don't but you will see great dogs and most likely meet great people that can help you find what type of dog your looking for.

Best of luck,

Scott

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:10 pm

You might also check with Fieldtrial Britts he post on this forum. Jim is out of Oklahoma.
Birddog 307