Pics from 1.29.08

hubweims

Pics from 1.29.08

Post by hubweims » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 pm

since i was in Canada last week on the holiday. i was lucky enough to get yesterday off. so, i took maggie and met up with my friend chuck and dallas for some time afield. both dogs have come along way. it got really warm and windy yesterday but they both worked their birds really well. maggie needed the work out really bad. since changing careers a couple of months ago, i haven't had the time to take her out nearly enough this year and work her.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:27 am

Great pictures! Looks like a great day out for you and the dogs!!

Mav......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:11 am

Nice pictures! Really like the second and the eighth. Are those pen birds? wondering how you got that quait to sit still.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 am

Don,

hello, and thanks. as for the birds, it's a mixture of both. my hunting partner is making a hunting preserve on his land. he has spent a lot of money and time with cover, food, and conservation to establish a local bird population. since, we both have been extremely busy and not worked our dogs like we usually do the past couple of months we did take some pen birds with us. we took them actually for dallas (the gsp) and higgins. higgins has decided to start blinking birds extremely bad here lately. i am sure it is something that i did, but he has taken a big step backwards. that bird in the pick is a pen bird. it was in cover and popped out in front of higgins. i guess when it got a look at him, me, and my partner it decided to sit pretty and tight so i couldn't resist taking the pic. i am gonna have to go back to the basics with higgins and no gun for a bit. he doens't seem to bee gun shy b/c he will retrieve dead birds all day long working retriever drills. he is still really immature, and i think its the flush that he shys away from right now. he can tell the difference between the live and dead birds b/c a shot bird still alive he drives on hard, but a wild or planted bird in cover he catches wind, tucks the tail, and moves away from the bird. so, not totally sure what is the cause i am gonna go back to no gun and pulling some flight feathers so he can chase and have fun.

mav.....thanks for the compliment. it was a great day out except male (who is still a pup) has taken some steps back.