I would like a close range bird dog.

SouthDakotaBound

I would like a close range bird dog.

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:44 pm

I want a dog that can work close to me, no more than 40 yards out. Which breed hunts close??

Thanks

SouthDakotaBound

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:07 pm

With that range you might want to look at some of the flushing breeds. Boykin spaniel, cocker spaniel, possibly a springer as a few examples. If your desire is with a pointing breed you may have a harder time finding one that will naturally range that close, although not impossible. Kind of difficult to put a 40 yard limit on it as even a close working dog will stretch it out some when hot on the trail. :D Just as important as the breed is choosing the right breeder. As some will obviously breed for different characteristics within the same breed.

gonehunting4days

Post by gonehunting4days » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:02 pm

I like mine to stay with in gun range especially on pheasants

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 pm

My avatar dog (Buddy) & I have hunted chukars since September. He will make casts from 2 to 300 yards sometimes even bigger. The pheasant hunt started saturday. I have hunted him everyday and he has figured out he needs to hunt thick cover very close.
What I'm getting at is a well breed dog that has any brains will shorten up or stretch out when need be.
Get the breed that you like from a good breeder, breeding for the kind of dog you want.

TimH

Try a springer

Post by TimH » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:24 pm

I'll start this by saying I'm new to dog training and you should take anything I say as potentially wrong. My springer is quite good for staying close. I hunt grouse with him in very thick cover as well as using him for ducks and geese. I found that he was completely out of control for his first season (6-9months old). I was sure he would be totally useless for grouse because he was always out of range and running wild. One day he changed. All that I have done with him is strict obedience training. This season has been great for birds and he just seemed to figure the game out after I shot a few over him. I just got back from a quick hunt this afternoon and he was consistently within range. The only thing after hunting over a few springers - you need to be able to stop them at any point. If you can't, you won't ever get a decent shot. Overall though, great hunter, great size, great personality. The long hair is a pain in the @ss.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:20 am

Brittanys, & Setters.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:14 am

No breed outside of flushers will work close. Can't generalize. Some lines within breeds will work closer. However, if you want a dog that is THAT close I'd suggest a flushing dog also.