Pup and adult dog PLAY TIME?

3forme

Pup and adult dog PLAY TIME?

Post by 3forme » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:57 pm

We now have 3 dogs in our household who spend days in the kennel seperated and when I get home from work they romp around the yard and then all come in. 1 Lab (12yrs) 1 DD (8yrs) and a 1DD 5(mos) Having never had 3 dogs at once of my own in the house together I am not sure how much play time I should allow? The young DD and Lab although seperated by 11 yrs and 7mos act very much alike so they will carry on until the DD tries to mount the Lab in dominance then she lets him know that won't be tolerated, the older DD is much too serious to play those puppy games so she is a non factor. Should I curb this or limit it at all?

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:36 pm

i wouldn't if it was outside. you may want to let them know that it is unacceptable behavior inside. it will keep your older lab in better health and help the young one to release the built up energy. these are hunting/sporting dogs so they have lots of energy. the more they get out the happier everyone is.

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:09 pm

I have a situation similar to yours.....10 year old Lab, 8 year old Brittany, and a 8 month old Brittany pup.

I think it's better with two older dogs for the pup...when she tires one out, the other one's ready...sometimes all three go at it.

The roll around, bark, and chase each other all over....that's outside and inside. If you didn't know better, you would think there's some serious anger involved. I kind of like the chaos.

I'm not crazy about the barking, but it's tough to tell a pup that you shouldn't bark when you're having fun.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:43 pm

My two started playing a year and a half ago when the pup was 8 weeks old and they are still at it. Of course they are kenneled together during the day and in the house in the evenings. Fun to watch as they have all of the moves of the pro wreslers.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.