Field Trial GSPs

wihunter

Field Trial GSPs

Post by wihunter » Sat May 04, 2024 6:55 pm

What are your guys favorite field trial lines for GSPs? Talking like the AKC/UFTA/FDSB type trials.
I know of some of the major ones but know more about the NAVHDA side of them bloodline wise.
Have been thinking about running my current GSP that’s been tested and is out of NAVHDA dogs in some walking trial, or just attending some to see how I like it.
I think it’d be a good way to be able to work the current dog, and next dog when I get another more.
This is just out of my curiosity as I don’t know as much of those lines, know some of the major studs/kennels like walnut hill, odyssey, perfection, bdk, but I’m sure there’s more great ones out there.
I will also use this information in choosing the kennel for my next pup as I may go more towards getting a pup from field trial/walking trial lines and still doing NAVHDA testing but also run trials with it, if I do like it as much as I think I will after attending a couple.
For those of you that like NAVHDA/NSTRA/MH testing/trialing more, post your favorite lines as well, I always like looking into different bloodlines and kennels
Thanks!

Carolina Gundogs

Re: Field Trial GSPs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue May 07, 2024 10:17 am

The difference between a winning FDSB ( I presume this would be an American Field sanctioned field trial) and an UFTA field trial are very very different dogs. If you narrow your search parameters some to say with one or the other, you might get more useful input.

wihunter

Post by wihunter » Tue May 07, 2024 11:42 am

I am not necessarily looking for anything in particular on this. Just looking to see what everyone prefers for lines. I know a lot of people have certain line breedings, or kennels, or studs that they prefer, and I am not looking for any certain type

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue May 07, 2024 2:24 pm

Wihunter -

I tend to agree with carolina gundogs on this one. I have seen my fair share of FDSB shorthairs and the best of them are real live horseback dogs that can, and do, run with the pointers. Might be too much dog for what you have in mind.

I suspect that a successful Navhda dog should give a reasonably good account of itself in AKC gundog stakes or other walking venues, like USCSDA. The AKC gundog events tend to feature dogs that have a little less "run" and are a little "handier" than similar FDSB sanctioned shooting dog stakes., at lest here in the mid-atlantic area.

I am a pointer person so I can't help you with GSP lines except to say that most of the dogs I have seen are pretty high octane horseback dogs. This is not to say that those type dogs cannot be developed to compete successfully in walking stakes...because they absolutely can, just as all age pointer progeny can be developed to compete successfully in walking shooting dog stakes.

Enjoy your current dog and see what he can get done. By this time next year you should have a pretty good idea whether or not you enjoy walking field trials.

RayG

wihunter

Post by wihunter » Tue May 07, 2024 3:01 pm

I agree with you. Ray. It’s not only necessarily to look into what i get next but also just to see what other people are liking in all venues just out of curiosity. If it helps on a search for the next one in a year or two then good, but if not that’s not really the only thing I’m looking for here. I just like looking into and finding out different bloodlines/kennels and what they are known for/historically better at for the different venues. Even the horseback trial lines intrigue me to know more about even though I likely will not be looking into getting a pup from those lines but I enjoy seeing what they’re good at and what kennels and lines are excelling historically or even just recently

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed May 08, 2024 8:49 pm

wihunter-
We are getting to an in-between period in field trials. This season's trials are about done and the summer training is a few months off, so there is a lull and most oflks are not super busy right now. If you want the real skinny, you might contact and ask to pick the brains of a couple or three top GSP pros. They are all dog people and most love to talk dogs and pedigrees and performance characteristics. Some will have prospects for sale or litters that are ready or about to be. Tell them honestly what your interests are and your timeframe and just listen.

Look up the pros who are placing dogs in NGSPA sanctioned trials. Those are some of the folks who you want to talk to, I think. Folks like Dan DiMambro are a wealth of knowledge. They know what works for their venue(s) and what don't, because their livelihood depends on it.

There are some really successful amateurs also in the GSP world. If you could get folks like Joe Amatulli or Wayne Horner or Anthony Rusciano talking about bloodlines and characteristics, you will learn a great deal, because they play the game at a very high level and know what kind of dog it takes to compete at that level.

RayG